Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best on body camera for filming?

open67

Just switched to a tachyon guncam HD. Only got one match down so far but the vid is solid. Perspective is good and quality is good. I mounted it on the bill of a hat using included hard lock Velcro. It sits fairly low and does not feel bulky on the bill. MUCH better than the GoPro in the same location. While I like the lower (behind the sights) angle of the pivot heads I found that sometimes they would become useless if I dropped my head a little while shooting. With this new set up that is not a problem at all.

e07128dd8e41925001ea19dde9d73e6a.jpga5dc1758972d86246029c29672a5ab3c.jpg

http://youtu.be/Aj526LuxSnE

Another option for 3 gun or rifle matches is to use one of the supplied curved mounts and double sided tape to attach the camera to support side earmuff. Not a bad angle.. And the camera can pop in and out of the hat or earmuff mount very easily to be switched as needed

https://youtu.be/SUPOKRF9EjE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run the Contour Roam 2 in their 3610 Headband, which is an elastic band that goes over my hat. It seems to work really well and gets the camera a little higher to see less of my arms and more of the targets being presented. The only downside is it doesn't capture what happens if I bring the gun really low to clear a malfunction, reload, or load a shotgun... but who has malfunctions anyway? lol

https://youtu.be/cgSizjRjdas

I end up taking all my video in 1080p 30 fps because that's my phones default, and then I render down to 720p 30fps for file size and upload time. I have been looking for other cameras since I'd like to step up to 1080p 60fps, but the GoPro seems to be the only one that has that or 4k... but I guess I really have to ask myself if I want to store files that large. I do know I want to go to 60fps since that seems to be so much smoother and capture more when you look through the video frame by frame.

The GoPro Hero4 Session seems like a good candidate to step up to and they just lowered the price on them too. Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHS-101-HERO4-Session/dp/B010H05JMQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1457632156&sr=1-3&keywords=gopro

Anybody seen or tried the Polaroid Cube? The new + model seems to have good quality, the only hit from reviews I've see has been on the sound. I wonder how good/bad it would be for our purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Lifestyle-Action-Camera-Stabilization/dp/B011OUS97K/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

See post #47. I was tempted to buy the new + model but instead bought another normal model and 32 gb memory card for $87. Hard to beat.

Anybody seen or tried the Polaroid Cube? The new + model seems to have good quality, the only hit from reviews I've see has been on the sound. I wonder how good/bad it would be for our purposes.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Lifestyle-Action-Camera-Stabilization/dp/B011OUS97K/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

See post #47. I was tempted to buy the new + model but instead bought another normal model and 32 gb memory card for $87. Hard to beat.

Nice, thanks, I must have missed that. Looks like some good video quality. Hows the audio or people talking? sometimes I like to leave my camera running to catch people's reactions, jokes, and scores.

Hero 4 black and i would highly recommend the smart remote. can be worn anywhere (wrist, lanyard, etc.) and allows you to stop and start the camera with the one button click instead of messing around with finding the button if it is head mounted or gun mounted. exponentially easier to manage and significantly more efficient with the remote than other setups I've run / seen.

You can setup the gopros to record as soon as the shutter button is pressed. It takes about 5 seconds for it to boot up, but it will record immediately. Stops recording and shuts when the shutter button is pressed as well.

No need for the remote unless you still need to remotely operate it, i.e having thhe cameras in front of the shooters.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone is looking and you have a BJ's wholesale club nearby, mine had the ION AirPro II for $90 the other day.

It does WIFI for use with a phone app.

Any follow up? Did you get one? How does it work for USPSA?

quote name="okorpheus" post="2617917" timestamp="1465270788"]

In case anyone is looking and you have a BJ's wholesale club nearby, mine had the ION AirPro II for $90 the other day.

I went ahead and bought one. I also got the mount that places it at the ear. It works well, but the WIFI is a little wonky. It does help setting it up though.

I used it in West Virginia last week, but the battery ran down by the eighth stage or so. I switched to my old Midland, mounted on a hat brim and finished the match out.

I use it to pick up on what I need to work on at the moment, which is still just about everything. I can see my hands better with the way the ION is located.

It's on my Youtube training page (which is there to help me see my mistakes).

You can get an idea just by watching the first two stages and fast forwarding towards the end where I switch cameras. Don't expect to see any great shooting though.

quote name="okorpheus" post="2617917" timestamp="1465270788"]

I went ahead and bought one. I also got the mount that places it at the ear. It works well, but the WIFI is a little wonky. It does help setting it up though.

I used it in West Virginia last week, but the battery ran down by the eighth stage or so. I switched to my old Midland, mounted on a hat brim and finished the match out.

I use it to pick up on what I need to work on at the moment, which is still just about everything. I can see my hands better with the way the ION is located.

It's on my Youtube training page (which is there to help me see my mistakes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z22y9gSI9k

You can get an idea just by watching the first two stages and fast forwarding towards the end where I switch cameras. Don't expect to see any great shooting though.

Dude, thanks for the reminder on how boring IDPA is!:)

I guess I don't need much of a camera because I didn't notice a difference?

They were straight pallets. It advertises an available 180 degree field of view so you will get distortion on the edges close up. There are a lot of modes on it that I haven't really explored. It is much better then the Midland in the dark though and indoors, the Midland has a yellowish field.

Ok, that's especially embarrassing. I had the Ion set on low resolution at 60 frames per second.

Edited by robport

• 3 weeks later...

I have the original drift ghost.

The video quality is sufficient, but 60fps available only in 720p. It also weighs a bit too much hard to mount on ear pro and the headstrap has to be so tight that it gives me a headache if I dint remove it between stages.

Battery is easily changeable, color screen, live view through smartphone and the 2way remote are the things that made me choose this one back then.

I am considering a gopro session for dedicated ipsc use.