Best on body camera for filming?

open67

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess i don't notice how big the hero 3 is on my head mount. It has worked for me in the last few years so no complaints here. Ive seen the chest rigs but the POV isn't as good. you see a lot of your arms.

I use a Midland. I haven't seen anybody else use one, but mine has worked very well for me for about a year now. They are also real cheap on amazon right now. $80 bucks for the 1080p one. I use a mounting screw through the hat brim approach to keep it as low as I can get it and take it out of the waterproof case to get it even closer. The hardest thing about it is getting it pointed where you want it, since you can't see the video until you connect it by cable to some viewing device (no Bluetooth). It may not be the best one, but for budget conscious shooters, it may be a good option.

I would be interested in what other people use it for. I find problems with my grip, hesitations I need to correct, troubleshoot gun malfunctions (though I've only recorded one), trigger control problems, and mental errors in the course of fire. With all that's going on, I just forget to turn it on sometimes.

I also recommend that you look at the Pivotheads. The lens is as close to your line of sight as you can get (short of some kind of head-up display). Also, when you shoot through ports or around barricades the picture doesn't get cut off so much. The downside is they only record about 1 hour of 1080p video. Some Target stores carry them if you want to look at them, but they are the Durango style which is not as cool-looking as the Kudu style. And cool is important!

I will second the Tachyon camera. I like the angle and view you get from it riding in the center of the cap bill. I would like to see a mount to place it directly above your dominant eye so that it would be that much better. The sound and picture quality are excellent.

Personally, I find they feel pretty much like other sports glasses. One noticeable difference is the thick sides (that's were the battery and memory are located) compared to other glasses (I wear Rudys). Depending on your peripheral vision, this may or may not bother you. Also, the ends cannot be bent down behind the ears. But I find them plenty stable, especially when wearing ear muffs.

Sony action cam. Small, light, easy to mount on ear pro, can check from smart phone that it's pointed correctly etc and most important gives excellent video AND excellent sound.

absolutely

compare the video of the Sony with a Go pro side-by-side and you'll see why.

I also have a set of PivotHeads and they are outstanding. You're gonna wear sunglasses anyway & there's nothing to mount ....

Sony action cam. Small, light, easy to mount on ear pro, can check from smart phone that it's pointed correctly etc and most important gives excellent video AND excellent sound.

absolutely

compare the video of the Sony with a Go pro side-by-side and you'll see why.

I also have a set of PivotHeads and they are outstanding. You're gonna wear sunglasses anyway & there's nothing to mount ....

Yeah the sony produces much better vid. the gap has closed a little with current models but 3 years ago when I compared the sony was miles ahead.

I confess to something of a bias against go pro's. I had experience with early models around 10 years ago for in car use in race cars. At the time the benchmark system was either Vbox for the upper end (multiple camera heads, telemetry etc), VIO POV for the mid range (very robust, very reliable, great quality) or at the low end people rigged up pencil cams to some kind of PVR which were new at the time. Then along comes go-pro. Ugly as sin, cheaply made in china, cheap sensors, cheap batteries, no way to view footage or the aim point on the system and they failed a lot. The only part not particularly cheap about them was the price.

Now granted what they had above the other systems above was camera, PVR and batter all in one. The others all required a PVR/power unit then connected by cable to a small camera head. What many failed to understand was that in a race car situation that was actually quite desirable as the camera head alone was much smaller, lighter and easier to mount than a go-pro of the time and then you could position the PVR/power/viewer unit somewhere low down out of the way in the cabin, or where it could be easily seen and controlled by the driver. I had go-pro's fail on me a couple of times and lost footage I could never get back. I had another brand fail on me whilst driving at Spa F1 circuit in a lotus exige 260S cup and dearly regretted not having just hooked up my old (but reliable) VIO POV.

Now for shooting it's a bit different. The 2 part systems suck as you don't want to carry some bulky pack on you. But up till recently the go-pro's didn't even have stuff like wifi control etc. the very first gen sony action cam which was cheap as hell already had decent image stabilisation, excellent audio (when the GP audio sucked hard) and it had a free IOS and android app you could use to view it's aim point to ensure it was positioned correctly, and control it's function and setting from your smartphone. It was also much slimmer and lighter than a GP.

Now a days the GP has lots of 'features' but it's still ugly and to me still retains that cheap, generic flavour to it (though it's certainly not cheap to buy). I know they've improved in leaps since the early ones but I can't shake my prejudice. I'll never buy another GP.

The pivotheads are not bad, but the vid quality I've seen was nothing like the sony or other quality cams and the audio seems really bad which to me ruins the experience of watching a shooting vid (or any vid for that matter). They can't be beaten for convenience and price though I agree with that.

I still run an older model sony and it's weight is so negligible on my ear pro I honestly cannot tell when it's on there or not. It has field of view choices from 120 to 170 degrees ( can even see my right eye and it's mounted on my right ear muff) and battery life is great too. And to be honest I don't like much at all about most other cameras sony makes (bit of a canon fan boy for still cameras/DSLR's).

Anyway, I dunno why I felt anyone would want this long rant. just some background to my unholy GP hate I guess..... :)

PS the only good side about loosing footage of racing at Spa is I can now tell great stories of all the porsche GT3 cup cars I passed etc but sadly don't have the footage to show anyone..... :devil:

Edited by BeerBaron

• 5 weeks later...

My pivotheads turned up a few days ago. Realy like them, they dont seal over my muffs, probably due to my narrow face so i have to wear plugs as well. The airsync works and does as described. Very happy with them! They dont have a good view for shooting with a rifle if it has optics, theyre ok for shotguns. The view is great for pistol though.

Heres a tester from a stage i did yesterday.

I got a Drift Stealth 2 yesterday from Amazon. I got it charged up, and going to mount it on the bill of a cap to start. If that doesn't work, I'll try on the side of my muffs. It comes with mounts to put it on a flat or curved surface, and one to mount on goggle straps. So far it seems like a very solid little camera, but won't know for sure until I get some video on it. They are really popular with skiers and bicyclists. Smaller than the Roam or GoPro.