Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Glock 34/17L or STI DVC Limited?

johnson184

Looking to get a nice 9mm for competition. Mainly 3 Gun right now. I've grown up shooting a Glock 19 and so I've been told to get either a G34 or a G17L to send to Taran Tactical. But I also have been seeing a lot of buzz the past several months about the STI DVC 9mm Limited. What would you guys recommend?

Depends on your disposable income and whether you like to tinker. I would go Glock for the reliability, cheap parts and magazines. There is no need to send it to TTI, parts mostly plug and play. I would go with the longer 34 or 35. That site radius is nice to have. The DVC will require more attention, mags cost more, but a nice running 2011 is hard to beat. It depends on how much work you want to put into your pistol.

On another note, I would get a 40 if you are planning on shooting limited. Major power factor scoring is a plus and it can be downloaded for 3gun. You may only get 20 versus 23 rounds in a mag, but I have never seen a stage in either sport that didn't have a spot to reload.

Edited by Flash74

trying to compare a G34 and a STI 2011 .40 is like trying to compare a Honda sedan & a BMW 350. You really can't compare then, they are completly different guns. I'd only look at the G34 if you planned to shoot production. For 3-gun get the STI 2011 in .40 cal & shoot it minor for 3-gun & major for USPSA ...

The 17L is a sweet pistol for 3 gun. If you're looking to go the Glock route (for 3 gun) the 17L is the one you want. I shot one with the TTI package all last year, and it was a great, low maintenance gun. I have since switched to a 6 inch 2011. It takes more effort to keep it running (you actually need to clean the gun and mags occasionally), but the trigger can't be beat. I don't regret the switch, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Glock or TTI's work.

I've had plenty of people beat me with a Glock when I was shooting a 4K Infinity. It's more about the skill of the shooter than the precision of the firearm, as long as it is reasonably accurate and runs.

Exactly! We have several newer shooters in our local 3gun group who switched to 2011s shortly after starting the game. They don't have the fundamentals of pistol shooting mastered so it doesn't matter what they are using. They just spray bullets at the longer targets. I competed in the RM3G with a $800 g34 and one shot the majority of the steel targets out to 40 yards.

Get the g34, spend some money on a trigger and good sights, spend more money on ammo and practice.

Are 17L being readily produced? I seldom see one for sell.

Glock does a run of them once every few years. They just did a batch around a year ago so they shouldn't be too hard to find. I love my 17L, but rarely shoot it these days since its not production legal and I prefer the Gen 4 which is what my 34 is.

• 4 weeks later...

I went through this same mess and caught some flack over it. I ended up getting both a worked over G35 as well as a base model STI Eagle. That was nearly 2 years ago so I have kind of seen some pros and cons.

1. The Glock magazines are very reliable, cheap, and easy to find. They can also suck badly because of the extensions. Supposedly the older gen 3's are fine but something changed on gen 4 glock mags. Taran himself had to work with mine and I still have problems with one, it will not load more than 17 rounds. You get to that point and you can feel the springs torquing against something on the inside. 2011 mags are much nicer and straightforward, but can be finnicky such as tuning the feed lips. Maybe a toss up here.

2. It's hard if not impossible to DQ yourself with a glock on 3-gun when throwing it in the bucket. However, every person I know who shoots a 2011 has been DQ'ed because of this at some point. advantage: glock.

3. If you fix up a glock, it will not retain it's value whatsoever. It's pretty disheartening. You can spend twice what it's worth but when you go to sell it, it's worth about what a factory one costs. 2011's retain their value better, especially if you don't dink with custom stuff much. advantage: 2011

4. 2011's just feel and look sexy. Even base model ones feel like the slide is on roller bearings. Big difference. I think pride of ownership is much higher with one. advantage: 2011

5. Glocks can feel sexy enough but it's just not the same. It's also weird because once you get used to it, every other Glock in the world will feel like the absolute turd that they are, while a base model 2011 still feels awesome. advantage: 2011

6. Unless you do get the DVC, 2011's will need a trigger job. Glocks do too but after my Glock's trigger job, I am much more accurate with it than with my Eagle. If I had to hit a 4" plate at 25 yards, I'd pick the Glock every time. Glocks are way plenty accurate enough for 3-gun. If you can't hit what you're aiming at, it ain't the gun's fault.

7. Even local gunsmiths can work on a glock. However, some of those same guys may have never even heard of a 2011 before. I've met them, no way am I leaving one with them. advantage: glock

8. Field stripping a Glock is stupid easy comparatively.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

7. Even local gunsmiths can work on a glock. However, some of those same guys may have never even heard of a 2011 before. I've met them, no way am I leaving one with them. advantage: glock

I wouldn't let someone who hadn't heard of a 2011 work on any gun, even a Glock. Further, anything worth doing to a Glock you can do yourself with a bit of Youtube intervention.

Shot a Glock for years, went to a M&P Pro9 and liked it more. I have a preference for the metal magazines as I can load a little longer and the M&P trigger can be made better than a Glock trigger. I do shoot a 2011 better than either, but just a little and on the targets we see, there is no measureable difference really.

I got a chance to shoot some of the new guns I have been wanting to shoot last week. P320, CZ P09, PPQ, SR9 and a VP9. It was revealing. I just told a friend to get a CZ P09 for 3Gun as he is on a budget. 19+1 in stock trim, better stock trigger than the Glock or M&P and you can get one for $450. IMHO, it is the best budget 3 gun pistol on the market and you don't have to do anything to it at all. USPSA Production legal as well. As good as this thing is, I am shocked I have never seen one at a match of any kind. I like them so much, if I was not planning on shooting heavy next year, I would buy one.

But if you are looking at $2k, get a 2011. :) STI Marauder is a great option.

Edited by MarkCO

Production: Glock

Anything else: 2011

"3Gun" does not have "Production". I also don't think 2011s are legal in Revolver or SS in USPSA. :roflol:

Glock makes a great production gun, and a decent pistol for Limited. I put a whole lotta rounds through a G35 in Limited, Production, and a brief stint in Open, as well as my go-to 3 gun pistol. After switching to a 2011, I'll never look back at a Glock for anything other than Production. I know plenty of people run them in Limited and 3 gun, but for Limited, a .40 2011 is tops.

definitely comes down to how much money you want to spend and comparatively, how much you have spent on your AR/shotgun. If im running budget guns, I'd probably apt for the glock to stay on budget. If I already blew the bank on those two, then go for the STI.

I started USPSA shooting single stack. Moved to limited with a glock 22 police trade in to see how I liked the division. Then picked up a 2011 and fully committed to limited. I still shoot my glocks here and there, I use them for defensive handgun classes, etc. Because I actually prefer the glock grip angle, I've had to modify my 2011 to mimic how my glocks fit as best I can.

I will say this, I don't care about having to toss my glock into the bucket. I do care what/where/how I sit my 2011 down and so I usually opt for the glock for 3gun.

If you're used to shooting glock it will be a huge difference switching to a 2011. It is different in every way; trigger, weight, grip angle. If you go with the 2011 just give it some time and don't get frustrated. I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend also.