Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leam (A62632) in Production

leam

At first, I was miffed that the USPSA had dropped my Production rating. The error was mine; I had only posted two Production scores before moving to Single Stack. :blush:

Yesterday I picked up a new Sig P320 in 9mm to run in USPSA Production. I haven't shot a USPSA match in almost three years, and haven't shot much at all besides some CFDA fun. My SS was at 34.60 average and my two Productions scores were just a tad lower, so C isn't far away.

Immediately after picking up the Sig I took it to the range. Not bad at all, and I'll provide a more detailed evaluation when I get over the initial excitement. The last shot of the session, number twenty, was at a Monster can someone had put about 40 yards down range. I'll credit the gun and luck; the can went sailing.

Bruce Gray has raved about the P320 and that was one of my big motivators for this decision. My 2008 Production runs, the first USPSA I ever shot, were with a Sig P2022. My current training materials are Brian's book, being read yet again, Bruce's PDFs, and shortly I'll be back into Steve Andersons Dry Fire book. The initial goal is to shoot a couple matches before things close down for the season, work on basics through the winter, and see where I am in the spring. My goal is my best, given resources, talent, and time available.

22 Aug 15 -- Practiced Bruce's visualization and some trigger reset work.

23 Aug 15 -- About to go practice some more visualization. Will work on a Lanny Bassham style affirmation this week. Talking to another guy about shooting USPSA.

Edited by leam

25 Aug 15 -- Dry-fire and reset. Focus on front sight picture.

I'm getting old enough and my eyes have changed enough that my old prescription now lets me focus on the front sight. Nice! Keep the sights lined up and practice trigger work without bouncing the sights around.

Actual range day today, yay! Paper plates at 26 paces, just working the "make the gun go boom when the sights are on target" sort of stuff. It is like me to shoot when the sights are on target, and it is like me to call the shot. Now I have some more input for my visualization program, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Have had the SIG P320 for almost a month. Replaced the grip with the larger model. Not sure I can tell the difference, but it's there. Switched the mag release to the activate from the right side. Still needing to get reloading components together and crank out some rounds.

Today's epiphany was to take a medicine bottle and put ten empty shell cases in it. There's tape on it labelled "Range Time". Three times a week the goal is to pick a drill, and do a set of ten for each of the ten cases in the bottle. Today was the first day so a double portion, draws and reloads. Doing everything in Taiji time for the moment. Starting to run my mental program before each set. The goal is to be ready for the 2016 season.

Still working Bruce Gray's shot calling exercise. Not as consistent as I'd like, but more than nothing.