Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nightforce 2.5-10x and offset irons? Or Vortex Gen2 Razor 1-6x?

johnson184

It can be done, but it's not optimal and will be slower. The field of view is reduced big time and with a true 1x with a bright dot (like the razor) you can run it both eyes open just like a traditional red dot.

If you already have the 2.5-10 use it and then ask to borrow someone else's setup for a stage and see for yourself. The biggest challenge you will have is if you have a bunch of close targets you may skip one and double shoot the others. I started with a 3-12 that I already had on the rifle and that did not last for more than a couple matches before I got a 1-4. You will be using your side irons for 90% of the shots if you stick with the 2.5-10.

What I had to think about after just considering this same question is "What's best for me?" If you honestly are going to use the gun primarily for 3 gun and are a competitor then the 1-6 is hands down the way to go. If you are going to use the gun for primarily other things (like me) and just like the idea of a well tuned fast shooting ar I went 2.5-10. I enjoy longer range shooting too much to stay with 6x as my max, just personal preference. I'm sure there's lots of guys on here than can outshoot me on 10x with there 6x or 4x any day, but I know I can shoot better myself with higher magnification at those 400 - 600 yard targets I will enjoy engaging. IF you are honestly going to do both, go ahead and get 2 optics that stay mounted and with a quality system you should have little or no work to swap and maintain zeros. Get a 2.5-10 for long distance range days or even high magnification and get a true 1-? for 3 gun comps. For the price of either of those you could get a pretty decent set of both, like a PST 2.5-10 and a Burris or busnell elite 1-4/6. I understand if you like higher end glass though, there is definitely a difference between a night force and a PST or a burris and a Razor.

In the end just be honest with yourself with your uses and what you want, there unfortunately is not perfect gun for everything you want to do with it, that's why we buy a lot of them!

Alright you boys convinced me to go 1-x! Is the top dog the Vortex Razor Gen 2 with the JM reticle?

Is there anything else out there I should be taking a look at around $2500 and under?

And I think I'll get some offset irons as well just so I don't have to worry about rotating magnification back down for certain stages. Dueck the go to offset?

Edited by johnson184

I own a Swaro 1-6, a C-more 1-6, and have owned a Razor. It's kind of a toss up. The Razor is excellent, but very heavy. It's the clear bargain leader. The Swaro has world class glass, and is the standard by which others are judged. The C-more has a great reticle and also excellent glass and illumination. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of those three.

Which reticle do you recommend for the Swaro? And EE or regular?

Non EE is the way to go, bigger field of view. The BRT reticle is the one everyone I have seen uses for 3 gun. It works really well, but I prefer the finer crosshairs of the C-more.

Well I'm now deciding between the Vortex Gen 2 vs the Swaro. Is everyone using the JM reticle on the Vortex?

I literally can't find a single Swaro near me to test out in person. From what you're saying, the illumination, glass, and build is superior in the Swaro?

Edited by johnson184

Well I'm not deciding between the Vortex Gen 2 vs the Swaro. Is everyone using the JM reticle on the Vortex?

I literally can't find a single Swaro near me to test out in person. From what you're saying, the illumination, glass, and build is superior in the Swaro?

If I were going to use the Razor, I would get the JM reticle. Some good friends of mine use it and do very well with it. Razor vs Swaro... I would say the Swaro glass is slightly better(very slight advantage, Razor has killer glass also), and the field of view is bigger. I prefer the illumination on the Swaro, it is more of a round dot. Both are no BS daylight bright. I haven't heard of many people breaking either one, I think durability is a wash. Vortex has the advantage in warranty though. The biggest advantage the Swaro has is how much lighter it is. The Razor is kind of a brick. I like the Swaro a little bit better, but it is definitely not $1000+ better than the Vortex.

I have both the Swaro and the Vortex. Glass is equal. I prefer the mil reticle in the Swaro but I prefer the smaller redt illuminated dot in the Vortex. The Vortex is way heavier which I can live with the main down side that you have to work around is the very stiff adjustment ring. Both are great scopes. Vortex has a lifetime warranty and is far less expensive making it the choice if your looking to buy now.
Pat