Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative to "Gun Scrubber"

Cosby

Not a fan o gun scrubber or brake cleaner. brake cleaner is for brakes, very aggressive. My favorite is Mineral spirits, It's clean, leaves no residue, and a lot less expensive than gun scrubber. It's also great for cleaning your cleaning equipment after your done cleaning da guns. That Hoppes and other stuff eats at your bronze brushes unless you rinse em off, mineral spirits is good for that. it's handy if you like to paint too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner is a popular substitute, if you want an aerosol cleaner. Don't use the chlorinated stuff - high toxicity to you (won't hurt the gun). There are others - a search might show them up. Either way, w/ any aerosol cleaner, use it somewhere with good ventilation - you don't want to be breathing any of it, in the end, even Gun Scrubber :)

I was told a long time ago that Gun Scrubber has the same component makeup as brake parts cleaners - I've never investigated that, but it might be worth a look at the ingredients, and then go compare at the auto-parts store (or Wal-Mart :)

+1

I love 'WIPEOUT'

Best Stuff EVER!

Once you try it, nothing else even comes close. I use it on all my guns now. From my .204 to my Tanfoglio.

Spray, let sit an hour, and everything fouled comes off. For really soiled guns, an ovenight soak, and you are back to beautiful.

Forget G96. I used to use it in my .204 religiously. Then following Wipeout's claim, I used Wipeout after the G96 clean was done. The amount of crud, copper fouling that came out made me a believer. I gave away every can of every other cleaner I own, and now use it exclusively.

Edited by Got Juice?

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with a feller running a CZ 75 who says he shoots about 1,500 rounds per week. He said he sprays Breakfree CLP on/in his field stripped gun parts, lets all it sit for a few minutes while he does something else, then takes his air compressor hose and squirts the parts while holding them in a garbage-bag-lined barrel. Wipes up excess oil with a microfiber towel and he's done.

For fast good cleaning I think that MPro7 stuff is very good. I used up my bottle a while ago.

I use ATF for cleaning and synthetic motor oil for lube of all my firearms. Sometimes just the motor oil if the cleaning job is light.

1110992751[/url]' post='257824']

What are some good alternatives to "Gun Scrubber" that are safe to use? By safe, I mean both for the gun and for me, since I will be breathing the fumes.

The price for Gun Scrubber is just too high!

ATF mixed with mineral spirits is pretty good for most jobs. Non chlorinated brake cleaner if it has to be absolutely free of oil; not really required for most general cleaning. Hasn't harmed my Glocks yet. YMMV.

-john

• 2 weeks later...