Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alternative to "Gun Scrubber"

Cosby

What are some good alternatives to "Gun Scrubber" that are safe to use? By safe, I mean both for the gun and for me, since I will be breathing the fumes.

The price for Gun Scrubber is just too high!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner is a popular substitute, if you want an aerosol cleaner. Don't use the chlorinated stuff - high toxicity to you (won't hurt the gun). There are others - a search might show them up. Either way, w/ any aerosol cleaner, use it somewhere with good ventilation - you don't want to be breathing any of it, in the end, even Gun Scrubber :)

I was told a long time ago that Gun Scrubber has the same component makeup as brake parts cleaners - I've never investigated that, but it might be worth a look at the ingredients, and then go compare at the auto-parts store (or Wal-Mart :)

Get the cheapest brake cleaner you can find. The worse health issue with using the stuff indoors is your wife will kill you for stinking up the house. I'm sure it's not good for you anyway and should be only used outdoors, but the wife is your immediate concern.

Yeah, Brake Kleen is the stuff and it’s all toxic (gun and auto stuff) so always use it outdoors or with mondo ventilation only.

If the parts are aluminum or plastic, warm soapy water is the best choice. Rinse in hot water and it will dry itself reet qwik!

--

Regards,

I've used B12 brake cleaner for a number of years and it works great. Walmart has it for about $2 a can. I know for a fact that it will take the finish off a parkerized gun, so use caution. My experience with it has always been on a chromed or stainless gun.

Shooter's choice has a Polymer Safe Degreaser, but it is about $8 per can.

I use the non-chlorinated brake (Brakleen green can) cleaner whenever plastics synthetics are involved.

On metal only parts - hose'm with full strength Brakleen. Best stuff I've ever seen. Be sure you put some kind of oil back on the parts quickly if they are steel. This stuff takes all of the surface oil away, which means rust isn't too far behind.

It also takes the oil out of your skin!

Use outdoors? Maybe that's my problem...

For the rare occasion that I do use an aerosol "gun-scrubber" type cleaner, I use the $0.88 per can brake cleaner from Wal Mart. I do oil it back up right after use though.

I also don't use it on gun bores.

traxman

I've got a new one, electric motor cleaner. Buy it at NAPA or other auto stores. Brake cleaner I'm told leaves a slight oily film. Electric motor cleaner doesn't. It's about $3.50 for a big can.

Why wouldn't you want an oily film you ask? If you are prepping a part to be painted. That's why. :)

Ran out of everything and used charcoal lighter fluid once.... :o

Seemed fine.

Did you use your gun to cook barbecue? :lol::lol:

No silly, it’s his barbeque gun! :P:D

(Barbeque Gun: An “extra fancy” sidearm, usually worn in an extra fancy “rig”, for pleasant social occasions (e.g. barbeques, church picnics etc.). ;)

Ed

P.S. I use MP7, no stink, no "health" issues and it completely strips the gun of oil.

Ran out of everything and used charcoal lighter fluid once.... :o

Seemed fine.

Did you use your gun to cook barbecue? :lol::lol:

No silly, it’s his barbeque gun! :P:D

(Barbeque Gun: An “extra fancy” sidearm, usually worn in an extra fancy “rig”, for pleasant social occasions (e.g. barbeques, church picnics etc.). ;)

Ed

P.S. I use MP7, no stink, no "health" issues and it completely strips the gun of oil.

I KNEW I was going to catch hell... :P

It really did seem like it did a good job.

I am with Run n Gun...MPro7 all the way. The gel type is awsome for bores.

The spray and a toothbrush (not the wife's!) cleans things up real easy and fast.

About the only problem I have found with it that is does dims the fluorescent fiber in fiber optic sights fairly quickly. But if I am doing that much cleaning it is time to change the fiber anyway so I don't much care.