Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are 550 primer issues a reason to get a 650?

Wtkempf869

I had decided to get a 550b. The press seems to work well with my needs and volume. I shoot 500 to 1000 rounds a month and that is split between 9, 40 and 45. I have only used a single stage press.

However, I have read about lots of people having problems with the primers on the 550. Does the make buying a 650 a better choice.

Grumpy one is correct. If properly set up, you should not have any primer problems.

I've had my 550 since 1986 and on occasion have had problems. If bothersome enough, I pull the primer assembly, clean it and re-install. Once everything is properly aligned, all problems are solved.

If you want to upgrade to a 650, do it But not because the primer system on your 550 is causing problems.

Bill

Grumpy one is correct. If properly set up, you should not have any primer problems.

I've had my 550 since 1986 and on occasion have had problems. If bothersome enough, I pull the primer assembly, clean it and re-install. Once everything is properly aligned, all problems are solved.

If you want to upgrade to a 650, do it But not because the primer system on your 550 is causing problems.

Bill

+1

I have two 550's and a 650. The 550 is more than adequate for the use you describe and much simpler to understand. You need to remove the primer slide and clean off the gunk with alcohol or CLP as needed...every 2000 to 2500 rounds. This is simple and quick. Absolutely no reason to avoid a 550. All these presses require some periodic cleaning and/or adjustment.

The 550 was my first press when I started reloading and I am still using it. I've never had a problem with the priming system. Occasionally the dies will start to work their way loose, but that's about it.

I on the other hand had problems with mine. It wasn't anything that couldn't be figured out eventually but it is a weak link in the press in my opinion. When I initially got it I tinkered for weeks trying to get it just right but it would still miss primers etc. Sent the bar to Dillon and got a new one. Found out the original was actually warped. Worked pretty well with the new one if I tightened this bolt just right and loosened that bolt just right. Kept it very clean and dry and dropped some powdered graphite on it every now and then. And of course the endless tweaking of the rod. It's not why I sold my 550 and bought a 650 but I sure as heck love the 650 priming system and don't miss the 550's one bit.

I on the other hand had problems with mine. It wasn't anything that couldn't be figured out eventually but it is a weak link in the press in my opinion. When I initially got it I tinkered for weeks trying to get it just right but it would still miss primers etc. Sent the bar to Dillon and got a new one. Found out the original was actually warped. Worked pretty well with the new one if I tightened this bolt just right and loosened that bolt just right. Kept it very clean and dry and dropped some powdered graphite on it every now and then. And of course the endless tweaking of the rod. It's not why I sold my 550 and bought a 650 but I sure as heck love the 650 priming system and don't miss the 550's one bit.

Yeah I don't blame ya. I did about a years worth of research between the 550 and the 650 before I made my purchase. Including a long drive to somewhere I could see both (actually all) the dillon products. I wanted to see the presses all torn down and then put them back together before I decided. The 550 was a great machine but it didn't like the way the primer setup was compared to the 650. Otherwise it was a great machine. Bought the 650 and glad I did because its gonna outlive me I think and there is room to expand (case feeder, bullet feeder, ect.).

For those of you that have experience with both, do you think the 650 is any more prone to blowing a primer stack? Compared to the 550.

Yes. The 650 is more prone to that since the primers are much closer to each other when priming