Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NickBlasta's Training and Match Journal

NickBlasta

9/20/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 4th of 25 - 81.038%
B-Class - 1st of 5
Overall - 5th of 83 - 81.038%
1324 of 1440 available points - 232A 1B 48C 4D 3M 1P - 91.94% (95.76% without penalties)

We had the (locally) much-anticipated MRCPS Monster HandinHand Charity Hosefest. 7 stages / 400ish rounds. No no-shoots, hardcover, or steel except on the one all-steel stage.

I didn't really care about a match pace, I wanted to shoot in the spirit of the match and hose it! So I made a few mistakes. One foot fault, one honest mike. One mike due to a mental malfunction (gun ran dry at the last target) and one mike due to a gun jam- I reasoned that in both cases, reloading and firing the last shot was going to be detrimental to my score. It's amazing how little a mike matters on a 300 point stage though.

I shot the steel stage really well. All the side plates on the move. I ended up placing with the masters overall and beating all the A/B classers, which seems fairly typical for me recently.

Overall it was a great success! MD says we shot 30,000 rounds as a whole and raised $5500 for charity.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9/21/2015

Dryfire Report

Did El Prez for about 45 minutes. It's amazing how much it destroys me. I experimented with different hand positions. I was having trouble at one point where I would crush the gun like normal, but not be able to hit the mag button and stand there for a sec. Why didn't I rotate it? Arg! It got better near the end, but then I got tired.

Rounded out the hour with some SHO/WHO, which turned into me running "Baseball Standards" for fun, basically just doing some bills with hand variation.

8/23/2015

Match Day!

After having a serious time at the USPSA sectional, I decided to do some funhaving.. So I brought out my BAR. I entered into Open so I could use my bipod if I wanted (I ended up not using it) and get some more trigger time for the week on my STI. It doesn't really matter what division I enter into, does it? I made errors all over, the BAR is really tiring to fire on a stage (I'm not a faceshooter) and I can't hit mini-poppers with it at 100 yards. It was a great time with a great squad of guys and gals.

Got a few more majors coming up. I'm excited.

Lol. That BAR might be the most OG 3-gun setup I have ever seen. That is awesome!

9/22/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 2nd of 4 - 76.112%
Overall - 2nd of 12 - 76.112%

I got invited by one of the open Ms I shoot with to go to his "home" match, an action pistol match he helps run. With Tuesdays done at MRS I agreed and decided to check it out. It's a short match but pretty fun. Holy crap it's so loud to shoot my gun indoors. I wasn't 100% on my game between that and the lighting. Didn't damage my hearing or anything (I was doubled up on earpro) but it was enough to throw me off. I think I'll be used to it next time.

Astigmatism sucks. The lighting inside is just low enough to make my dot turn into a squiggle. Oh well, I can deal.

9/24/2015

Dryfire Report

Started out with prop manipulation. It looked like fun and it's a drill I haven't performed. I did have fun moving it around- got into it a little bit by having the can back and to my right, so on the start I fired while backing up so that I could crouch, grab the can, and move it, then resume firing.

I did some reload component drills, into a reload drill (1 second par) and I was able to make it each time, which I was pleased with. My reloads kinda suck. I feel it's something that's holding me back on the classifiers that have mandatory reloads. Showing improvement though. Keep on truckin'.

Lol. That BAR might be the most OG 3-gun setup I have ever seen. That is awesome!

Ha, missed this comment- thanks! I try to have fun with 3-gun, in the way that I'm not taking it too seriously. It's kind of my break from working hard at USPSA.

9/25/2015

Dryfire Report

Messed with my grip, particularly my offhand support. I watched Vogel talk about grip on youtube for awhile and he likes to have his hand canted downwards so that the thumb is way far forwards on the frame. I tried this and it feels a little better to me than what I was doing before.

Did 4 aces today for about 45 minutes. At first I had to remind myself the drill was called 4 aces for a reason and not 3 charlies 1 delta. Didn't bother with a timer for awhile, just draw and tapped when I had an alpha in view. Set the par for 2.5 and tried doing the same thing- I was making it every time, and it didn't even feel like I was going fast. Very weird.

9/27/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 5th of 19 - 86.826%
B-Class - 1st of 5
Overall - 5th of 96 - 86.826%
833 of 895 available points - 121A 4B 52C 2D - 93.07%

I think this is the last USPSA major of the year around here, our WA sectional. I thought I did pretty well, I finished 5th behind the GM and 4 Ms, beating all the A-and-below classers. I was also closest to our local GM than ever before (86.82%). No penalties and I shot consistently while also attempting to put my dryfire experience into action. I was faster than I ever have been, shot good points, and won my class and the one above it.

One mental malfunction on stage 5- I swung around to the right of the port and finished the paper without engaging the popper. I made it worse by engaging the popper about 4 seconds later. If I had left it standing I would have improved my hit factor, and if I'd actually shot it at the end of the stage like I shoulda, I would have gained 22 more match points. That wouldn't be enough to bump me up another place in the standings, but it bothers me anyway.

I was kinda thinking about a thread I saw discussing what makes a "hard" stage, and one opinion was if the majority of the shooters can't shoot it clean, it's probably too hard. We had a stage like that, stage 6- only 21 of the 96 shooters shot it with no penalties, 22.1% (or roughly 1 in 5). It was a combo of a lot of things, awkward firing positions through ports, no-shoots behind steel, and memory-stage style arrays. I shot it clean and actually it was one of my best stages. Makes me pleased.

Edited by NickBlasta

9/28/2015

Dryfire Report

Worked on gun-up stuff for about 30 minutes. If there's one thing I have a problem with is it's dropping the gun down to my sternum as I move. I alternated between position exit and entry. I need to do this outside, I don't have enough space in my house. Still, I had improvement. After that I did quick-step with my shooting box.

I'm wondering, is it faster on a "running" section of a stage to one hand the gun and pump your arms, or keep both hands on the gun and do the wiggle? I see the top open shooters here do both. Must not be much difference.

9/29/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 2nd of 3 - 96.26%
Overall - 2nd of 17 - 96.26%
361 of 380 available points - 65A 6B 13C - 95%

'Nother indoor match. I did better this week although it still kinda throws me off on the first run. I turned up the gas and I was excited- beating the Open-M that runs these matches is one of my mini-goals and I almost did it, 96.26%! So close.

9/30/2015

Dryfire Report

I did bill drills for about 30 minutes. Alternated hands at sides and surrender. I surprised myself on surrender in that I've stopped swinging down, stopping, grabbing the gun, and instead am slapping my hand right into place on the gun and yanking it up. Way faster. Maybe I missed that I started doing this because I usually blend it with the turn and draw. But it's nice.

10/2/2015

Dryfire Report

Was listening to Steve Anderson's latest podcast when he described a dryfire routine in which you would race a metronome while practicing transitions. I was intrigued so I tried it. The basis of the drill is setting a tempo that you can hang with, and then try and drive the gun to each target before the next beep, seeing how fast you can get.

I don't know what the heck the settings on the metronome mean, but I was able to get it beeping pretty fast in my transitions. I need to try this again and see if it helps me improve.

10/4/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 2nd of 15 - 88.02%
Open B - 1st of 4
Open Div - 2nd of 64
Classifier 03-12 "Ironsides" - 7.0632 HF - 91.73%
544 of 584 available points - 96A 31C 3D - 93.15%

This was the last match of our NW challenge series. I'm pretty sure I won the challenge for my class because I won.. every match for my class. So I'll be getting my trophy and my $50. Woop.

It was a good match though. I had a couple mental malfunctions where I wasn't totally on my game, but I finished okay behind the M (now GM in what, 10 days) that leads me. I shot my best classifier yet, 91.73% which puts me at a solid 80% average.

Misc

So I was gonna make A at the classification update this month anyway, but today in the mail I got a little headsup from USPSA that they thought I did a grand job in Utah. I had thought about it a little since I shot 77% of Kincaid Ross, but I hadn't won A-class so I didn't expect it.

qZ3ex4b.jpg

I think a match bump is pretty cool.

"Pretty cool" is an understatement bro. That's super badass! Congratulations.

Thank you. :D

10/5/2015

Dryfire Report

I didn't have a plan for today, so when I tossed on the belt and the gun, I decided to see if I could run up against that 3.5 par in El Prez again. I found I was able to consistently make it, while being waaay better at placing alphas and calling every click of the trigger. Is this what getting better feels like?

So I ran with it for 30 minutes. Tried some different hand positions for surrender. Prior to my dryfire of late, I'd always kept my hands tight around my face/brim of my hat. I think I'm faster if I keep my right hand a bit far out to the side, I can swing it right down onto place on the gun. I just don't see anyone else do that, which tells me it might be wrong. Hm!

10/6/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 1st of 2 - 100%
Overall - 1st of 13 - 100%

Well I won an indoor match. I don't think I shot very competently- felt slow, wasn't on my game. Pulled a mike into the hardcover shooting strong hand which is atypical for me, I made it up on the weak hand portion but of course that's a procedural for extra shot. It was enough to win, but oh well.

10/7/2015

Dryfire Report

Started with component transitions and went to a full transition drill. It's nice to do learning drills sometimes to refresh them fundamentals.

After that I designed a quick stage based around tight movement in my house. Mini stages like this will help me with my explosive movement. I see that too often I move with full strides, which is sloow for short distances, I need to make quick, short foot movements.

Misc

Have a 3 gun match this weekend that I'm going to and I gotta decide what I want to take. I suppose I should DF with irons some so I look a little more like I know what I'm doing.

Edited by NickBlasta

10/9/2015

Dryfire Report

Did 3 gun stuff in prep for the weekend. Halfheartedly tossed shells into my shotgun to refresh, did DA/SA with my USP, and made sure the SCAR was still on target. Just about as much work as I wanna put in for funhaving.

10/10/2015

Match Report

HK USP45 / FN SCAR 17s / Stoeger M3000
Heavy Optics Div - 1st - 100%
Overall - 23 of 68 - 70.875%
Raw time 465.24 + 12.5 seconds for penalties

I shot Custer's once-yearly Z-Pocalypse charity match for Toys for Tots. We raised I think about $8500 for charity and had some fun. The weather was crazy, it alternated between nice, very windy, and pouring rain. Poppers and props were blowing over and I got soaked. I won because shooting heavy is like shooting in L10, you have nobody to beat but yourself.

I thought I shot okay, I can't really drop praise or take my criticisms too seriously when I just don't practice with my rifle or shotgun at all. I made a bunch of mistakes, mostly related to stage planning and target engagement. Going back to shooting irons with no warmup is a trip, though, I can't hit anything. What are these things on the top of the gun? You have to line them up?? Also the paddle mag release on the USP gives me trouble. I engage it with my middle finger and it's easy to miss. And you really have to not cheat on your grip when shooting .45!

Stage 3 was my favorite. You had 3 heads with a marker under each to tell you what gun to use and knocked over one head at a time. The barrels blowing over during my run just made it more dramatic.

Back to USPSA.

10/11/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 1st of 7 - 100%
Overall - 2nd of 54 - 96.918%
Classifier 09-09 "Lightning and Thunder" - 82 HF - 91.11%
689 of 760 available points - 99A 5B 44C 4D 1NS - 90.66% (91.97% without penalties)

First match as A. I accomplished a mini-goal today, winning a weekend club match. I knew I could probably do it when everyone was off at nats. biggrin.png

I managed to shoot another M-score on the classifier. I don't think I racked my gun at the make ready but I still got the 6 shots on target before the buzzer. I think racing it knocked me out of a 95%, since I accepted charlies to race the par time. Derrrp. I had a NS on stage 5 which was disappointing. Rolled right in and shot carelessly at a partial and ate the NS first shot.

I hope I will be M soon?

Edited by NickBlasta

10/12/2015

Dryfire Report

I was really tired today so I just tossed up El Prez. I was really sloppy to start but once I got warmed up I found I was edging inside the 3.5 par! I even felt like I was in control and not moving crazy fast. That excites me. I did it for about 30 minutes, nailing it every time, but then I started to get tired and got sloppy with my reloads so I called it for the day.

10/14/2015

Dryfire Report

Did movement practice, particularly with starting off with long strides and ending with quick steps at a fault line. I watched that open super squad video from nats and was wanting to try some of the pro movement techniques.

I noticed Max Michel has a strategy of coming into a fault line with his heel, shooting, and then using his heel to push off the fault line. Simple idea but surprisingly effective.

10/15/2015

Livefire Report

Shot a couple stages today for practice. I ended up minorly pulling my right quad and it didn't agree with this whole practicing thing anymore, so I didn't do a lot. I'm gonna have to take it easy with the movement for awhile... which isn't easy.

Misc

I am officially A-class. Also at a higher percentage than I thought due to how the classifiers slotted into the update.

MCOVrJo.jpg

1%'s not that hard right?

Edited by NickBlasta

10/16/2015

Dryfire Report

To keep things easy on my quad I did some SHO/WHO at first and then blake drills. My surrender to WHO transition was a little spotty so I wanted to work on that. Tightened it up pretty well by the end.

Edited by NickBlasta

10/18/2015

Match Report

Open Div - 3rd of 16 - 88.995%
Open A - 1st of 6
Overall - 3rd of 54 - 88.987%
Classifier 99-13 "Quicky II" (15A 3B 6C 15.67s) - 7.0836 HF - 67.46%
904 of 970 available points - 148A 6B 36C 3D 1M - 93.19% (94.74% without penalties)

Felt like I had a good match. I couldn't do quite what I wanted on several stages with my pulled quad- I had to rein it in pretty hard to keep from straining it again, but a lot of the stages were stand and shoot or more technical limited movement so I could hang.

I sucked out loud on the classifier which is very disappointing. Fumbled my reloads pretty bad. At least it's low enough that it won't count against my average.