Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-ported barrels in a Performance Center MP9 slide (with the holes)

MilkMyDuds

Has anyone tried using a non-ported barrel in a PC slide? I was wondering if the lightening effect due to the cuts on the slide is worth it. Theoretically it should make the slide return faster, and if you use a 11# recoil spring it may be even better? On the other hand, I wonder if the muzzle flip would be more noticeable due to less slide weight. This would be similar to what G34 or XDM competition slide with the lightening cuts.

If someone has the stock PC slide (for 5''), can you please measure the weight and post here?

I assume this setup should be legal for both USPSA production and IDPA SSP.

There are two different performance center models, one is the ported and the other is the the optics ready non-ported. I dont think the ported slide would be legal in production.

A. its not on the list and B. because its not on the list it would be looked at like a slide that had been machined for something other than sights.

Novel thought but I dont think it could be gotten away with

Edited by racingjoe27

There are two different performance center models, one is the ported and the other is the the optics ready non-ported. I dont think the ported slide would be legal in production.

Wrong on both.

The "optics ready non-ported" model, correctly identified as a CORE, is in the "Pro" series, it is not and has never been a Performance Center model. All Performance Center M&Ps are ported.

As for the porting, there is a provision specifically allowing ported slide models to be used when the barrel is replaced with a unported one. The porting itself does NOT make the gun ineligible for USPSA Production.

No, I just looked up the USPSA rule book, and here is the specific clause for production slide mod:

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun.

Because the PC models are not listed in the production gun list, the slide for PC won't be for that model of gun (MP9 pro 5'' I was thinking).

Won't work for USPSA production. :angry2:

Edited by MilkMyDuds

Wrong on both.The "optics ready non-ported" model, correctly identified as a CORE, is in the "Pro" series, it is not and has never been a Performance Center model. All Performance Center M&Ps are ported.As for the porting, there is a provision specifically allowing ported slide models to be used when the barrel is replaced with a unported one. The porting itself does NOT make the gun ineligible for USPSA Production.

You can't say something like that and not back it up. At least quote the paragraph so everyone can reference what you are saying. Appendix D4 21.6 Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Therefore unless you can show me where it says you can put a non-ported barrel in an unapproved ported gun and have it be legal for production I'm going to have to stick with no it can't be done

Wrong on both.The "optics ready non-ported" model, correctly identified as a CORE, is in the "Pro" series, it is not and has never been a Performance Center model. All Performance Center M&Ps are ported.As for the porting, there is a provision specifically allowing ported slide models to be used when the barrel is replaced with a unported one. The porting itself does NOT make the gun ineligible for USPSA Production.

You can't say something like that and not back it up. At least quote the paragraph so everyone can reference what you are saying. Appendix D4 21.6 Externally-visible parts from “custom shop” guns will only be considered “OFM parts” if the custom-shop gun is on the NROI list of approved Production guns.

Therefore unless you can show me where it says you can put a non-ported barrel in an unapproved ported gun and have it be legal for production I'm going to have to stick with no it can't be done

Neither the performance center ported models nor the CORE with the "Pro" series engraving is currently on the Production list, the confusion comes from the special note give to the Glock "C" models. currently only the standard CORE’s are on the Production list.

I have unported barrels in 9 and 40 for my ported pro core and see little to no difference in recoil. There is a very big difference in how quickly the front sight gets dirty.

Yeah I've always wondered about that. Can't say I've ever owned a ported gun, and was never curious enough to outright ask I guess.

You can petition USPSA to have any model added to the list. S&W would also need to request that the gun be added and supply a sample. I did that for the Ruger SR9c when Amidon was there and they took care of it as soon as Ruger stepped up to the plate. It's really not that hard.