Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-more Plastic vs. Aluminum bodies

BallisticianX

I wanted to share a difference I found with the full size C-more plastic and aluminum bodies. I have used Plastic C-mores for years with zero issues. When I bought my Tanfoglio Gold Team I heeded some advice from a fellow open shooter to put an aluminum C- more on it as the plastic bodies have been known to crack after repeated battering from open guns. When I got the aluminum one I put it on a double sided mount (7 screws to attach) with a forward cant and proceeded to sight it in. During my sight in session I eventually bottomed out on elevation adjustment and the pistol was still hitting 4-5" low at 15 and 20 yards. So I mounted up one of my plastic bodied units I bought 5-6 years ago (and known to work) to determine if I had a sight or mount/gun issue. The plastic body unit zeroed no problem with a lot of elevation adjustment to spare. Called C-more and ended up sending the Aluminum one back for an exchange. I got the new one and tried it and this time was able to zero it but there is not a lot of elevation left to play with. When zeroed the gap in the upper and lower body of the lens housing is spread open considerably on the aluminum one whereas on the plastic unit the two halves are almost parallel when zeroed on this gun. I have determined there is some geometry difference between the two bodies, they can not be built the same at all. I think the lens housing affixes the glass at a different angle between the two. I spoke to C-more about this and they said it is possible the aluminum housing with the need of a machining operation to create the lens seat may be different versus the plastic unit where the lens seat is at set dimension right out of the mold. I asked C-more if the lens angle design changed at all across the board as my plastic one is 6ish years old and he said no. He went on to tell me the only change made to the plastic bodies since 6 years ago was to add material near the windage adjustment screw area to cure the cracks that were common there.

Have any of you ever experienced this same situation? I am curious to know, chime in if you have a similar case or explanation.

I have had an aluminum cmore on a sideways mount on my full size 2011 open gun for a few seasons now. The finish perfectly matches the TiAlN on the small parts of my gun...also I have had no problems so far