• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a new gaming-- I mean work-- laptop that had Windows 10. I liked it but things did break. The app store quit working completely, along with any apps installed (like the picture/image viewer).

As far as the privacy, people have a right to be able to turn it off, but on Windows 10, you can't, not 100% anyway. It will always send data to MS; they claim it's updates... What bothered me was they finally added a decent search feature for Windows, then to find out that I can only use it if I want to send all my searches to MS. It's just a matter of principle that I wouldn't want them getting a data stream from me. I hung in there using it for about 3 weeks, but the hosed app store finally broke the deal. I went back to linux: http://linuxmint.com/

That said, I work with people that are using Windows 10 and have no issues at all. From what I saw, once the bugs get out, it will be a nice OS.

If you have 8/8.1, it's worth your while to upgrade. I'm sure that version was designed by a committe. :sick:

One thing to keep in mind that Microsoft still hasn't changed the policy that this is a TIME limited update. You have a year to update from when it was released. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade even right before the deadline. You can still go back if you plan it properly and backup...

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched a laptop back to windows 7 form the free upgrade to 10. Liked windows 10 ok but explorer.exe kept on crashing. Microsoft tech help kept on insisting that a certain update would fix it but it didn't work on my computer. Swapped back yesterday.

Be aware that Microsoft is getting more agressive about upgrading Win7 computers. People have reported that after an automatic semi-monthly update they found their computers were in the process of upgrading to v10.

I cannot confirm this from first hand experience but if you want to stay on 7 then it might be worth getting a look at this:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Be aware that Microsoft is getting more agressive about upgrading Win7 computers. People have reported that after an automatic semi-monthly update they found their computers were in the process of upgrading to v10.

I cannot confirm this from first hand experience but if you want to stay on 7 then it might be worth getting a look at this:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I downloaded this a couple of months ago, does what it says it will so far. Got tired of W10 icons popping up when I didn't ask for it.

I downloaded this a couple of months ago, does what it says it will so far. Got tired of W10 icons popping up when I didn't ask for it.

I feel the same way. My daughter got a new laptop for Christmas and it is a touch screen one and came with W10. She likes it just fine.

I might upgrade on one of the home desktops and see how it goes before doing both.

Me too, seems to work fine.

The "reminders" were getting more aggressive and I was worried that one day my wonderful win7 machine with win7 specific audio recording software (that is currently running perfectly) might suddenly become a win10 frustration vortex all on its lonesome.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest laptop came with 8.

It worked ok, but was confusing as compared to 7, although installing the Classic Shell helped quite a bit.

Upgrading to 10, still with the Classic Shell, smoothed things out considerably.

Now, it acts and looks like 7. :yawn:

Not sure if anything was gained over 7 except maybe for those folks with tablets and smartphones.

My eight year old desktop with Linux Ubuntu runs better.

But there's no KIndle for PC for linux, and I read a lot of books via Kindle.