Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 custom pistolsmiths

HerdThinner

I want to have a 1911 built. I started my research and came across Dave Dawson, Benny hill and brazo customs. Anyone have a 1911 done by these guys. I know in the rifle world it's SAC, GA precision, Tac ops to name a few. I'm just trying to get a few too builders and see who I click with. Thanks.

http://www.innovativecustomguns.com

I see you are in PA, so is this guy. Jim is first class, he used to work for EGW and did all of the gunsmith work there for several years before he hung his own shingle. His work is excellent! I have a full build from him and the only problems it has ever had were my fault (crappy many times fired range brass and a buff that should have been replaced sooner). Many, many top end gunsmiths that don't weld or have a project that requires some precise welding send stuff to him for welding. Give him a call, you won't be disappointed.

Matt McLearn @ McLearn Custom Guns. 928-468-8984

Matt is a former world champ and also builds Nils Jonasson's pistols. In fact, if you want, he will build you a copy of Nils' pistol.

Good luck with your hunt!

I have the Nils Jonasson Signature 002 limited, Nils gets 001.

There are some incredible 1911 builders out there. It really depends on what you want from a Custom 1911.

Can you list some details of what you are wanting, your probable budget and how soon.

Generally a good builder can be backed up with work.

Edited by PalmBeach1

Thanks for all the replies so far keep them coming.

As far as what I want. Being in the infant stages of custom handguns I'm not sure. What I do know is my budget is 3500 and under. I want to stay in the Tac ops division. I want a Sti 2011 9mm. Crisp trigger 2-3 pounds no creep. Something that eats ammo like a fat kid loves cake and isn't overly picky. Fiber optic sights (although what kind I'm unsure). Basically I want an extension of my arm. Not like the Glock I have that feels like crap shoots left because I don't hold my elbow in a certain way (corrected with some sight adjustment). Hahaha.

Time to wait, I would like it by next April.

I talked to one smith so far and one secretary, obviously impressed with one and the other should stay baking.

Sorry for the lack of info. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by HerdThinner

I can recommend Advanced Weapons Technology , Don Fraley in Kentucky, not that far from Pittsburgh. Down the Ohio a few hundred miles. Don builds world class 1911's using his own frames and slides. You would not be disappointed.

Tommy Roupe

Just like the rifle world, lots of guys can build precision rigs. What sets them apart is customer service. Will they actually return your call? Do they respond to your voicemails? When you have a problem do they care or do they blow you off?

All the big name smiths can build you an amazing pistol. The million dollar question is, will they support you when the gun needs fixed? There's nothing worse then when a smith doesn't have time for you or cannot be bothered after you drop $4k plus.

When talking to a smith, calculate in how hard he is to get a hold of them, how responsive they are, how willing are they to answer your questions, etc? Ask him if something breaks on your $4k build, will he fix the gun immediately (depending on issue), or does it go to the back of the line and he'll get to it in 9 months.

Best of luck. Picking the right smith is the hardest part in my opinion, especially when it comes to the 1911/2011 platform.

Just like the rifle world, lots of guys can build precision rigs. What sets them apart is customer service. Will they actually return your call? Do they respond to your voicemails? When you have a problem do they care or do they blow you off?

All the big name smiths can build you an amazing pistol. The million dollar question is, will they support you when the gun needs fixed? There's nothing worse then when a smith doesn't have time for you or cannot be bothered after you drop $4k plus.

When talking to a smith, calculate in how hard he is to get a hold of them, how responsive they are, how willing are they to answer your questions, etc? Ask him if something breaks on your $4k build, will he fix the gun immediately (depending on issue), or does it go to the back of the line and he'll get to it in 9 months.

Best of luck. Picking the right smith is the hardest part in my opinion, especially when it comes to the 1911/2011 platform.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That is what I'm trying to determine. I know for instance SAC, the customer service along with the guns are top notch. Mark bends over backwards to make it right. I know Rome wasn't built in a day but some too guys that take 24 months to push out your build also said if it breaks there is a long turn around. That to me is a negative.

It's difficult to find review on the custom 2011. Custom rifles you read about personal builds all over the net. Pros and cons. Maybe it's the newbie in the hand gun world and I'm not searching correctly. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

Whoever you pick, it's a good idea to ask who's actually doing the work. It's not uncommon for someone to pick a big name smith for a custom build and it turns out someone else in his shop actually does the work. That may turn out ok, but maybe not. I've seen some real crap work come from some of the biggest names in the industry.