Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSSF is changing

geezer-lock

The setup of GSSF and the distribution of prizes has been changed for the ‘05 –’06 season. A new fee schedule will be in effect April 1, 2005. The Dallas Pistol Club has opted out of GSSF after 14 years so the Carrollton match has been canceled. The full match schedule has not been published.

If GSSF is of interest to you, please take a look at:

www.gssfonline.com

geezer

From what they were saying on glock talk, the host club needs to purchase their own poppers and plate rack(s), plus provide the targets. Also, the reinbursement for RO's has changed, though no exact details on that were given.

Supposedly they did increase the number of guns donated for the match though.

Ted

So previously GSSF brought their own plate racks and poppers? (I was not aware of that).

My understanding before was that ROs got to keep some of the brass and enter a drawing for a pistol. Is that correct? If so what did they change?

There is considerable discussion on glocktalk in the GSSF section. This is the note from the Dallas club:

"All,

On March 4, 2005 we received an e-mail from GSSF that proposed a drastic change in the "Compensation" (GSSF's term) paid for a sponsored match. These changes would have greatly impacted both the club and the RO's earnings, which we felt were minimal in the first place. The Dallas Pistol Club Board of Directors felt strongly that this change was grossly unfair both to the club and those who actually do the work necessary, the RO's. We could go to great length here in explaining our position and thoughts, but the airing of one's "dirty laundry" in a public forum rarely benefits any of the parties involved. After discussions with GSSF we were unable to reach a satisfactory agreement and a decision was made to no longer hold a GSSF event at this location. We've been involved in this program from its start 14 years ago and this decision was not made lightly or in haste. We've always enjoyed these matches and the fellowship of the shooters and spectators involved, but we can not continue under the proposed terms. Hopefully we'll still run into a few of you at other events. Thank-you to all for your support and assistance throughout the years.

Doug Smith

Director, Dallas Pistol Club"

So previously GSSF brought their own plate racks and poppers? (I was not aware of that).

My understanding before was that ROs got to keep some of the brass and enter a drawing for a pistol. Is that correct? If so what did they change?

GSSF did haul that stuff around. Chris and Dave Sevigny traveled with it (that's where I met Dave).

RO's help unpack and setup, then teardown and repack.

As "compensation" I got the following:

-A shirt (In very strange colors)

-A hat

-We did keep the brass (though that was more of a club issue than a GSSF issue, they didn't ahve any way to colect and haul it)

-A membership to GSSF or entry fees or a knife, or some other stuff that never interested me.

-A entry in a drawing for a gun that was for "staff" only

-The "right" to shoot through on a stage (not wait in line)

From what they were saying on glock talk, the host club needs to purchase their own poppers and plate rack(s), plus provide the targets. Also, the reinbursement for RO's has changed, though no exact details on that were given.

Supposedly they did increase the number of guns donated for the match though.

Ted

Fomiester, U seen this yet?

Just what is here, I have not read anything on the GSSF site yet, but I will if anything is there. We already have 2 plate racks, and nearly a dozen poppers. The racks and the poppers were from GSSF as payment during the first two matches we had. I'll read a little more and talk to Jeremy so that he knows, and at some point we will need to talk to them. As long as it is profitable for the club, I don't care how they pay us, cash, guns, props, etc., but there will have to be some compensation for the additional wear and tear of over 400 shooters on our dime in addition to what there was before. This is based only on club history and my opinion. Let's look into it before we react. Thanks for the heads up guys.

OK I read it, and we are within 500 miles, so I think that they will still bring their props and targets based on the GSSF homepage message. Here it is:

Spring 2005 brings exciting changes to GSSF!

More ways to win!

To our most valued customers:

The Glock Sport Shooting Foundation has, for fourteen years, provided a sport for all people with all levels of skill, that has been safe and fun! The “GSSF season” begins in April of each year, and this year, at each event, you’ll have more chances to win a GLOCK pistol or cash. Let’s go through the new prize distribution system and other ways to win a GLOCK now!

PRIZES….. 1 in 4 WIN!

GSSF from the beginning has had one of the most generous prize lists in competition shooting. In previous years, prizes were distributed using the “Lewis Class” system of dividing up competitors into classes. Looking back over the years, it was realized that pistol and cash prizes could be distributed in a better way. Beginning with the new season, top competitors still win and ONE OUT OF EVERY FOUR competitors in Amateur Civilian and Amateur Guardian will win a GLOCK or cash prize randomly distributed. That means a competitor can win just by entering and competing. Each event will take one out of every four competitors and assign a prize. Even in our larger matches, the odds remain the same – 1 in 4 win!

EVENT DATES AND LOCATIONS

GSSF and GLOCK, Inc. are in the process of negotiating the Spring, Summer, and Fall event locations. Our direction is to provide a reasonable and equitable compensation package. GSSF is also requesting clubs outside a 500 mile radius of Atlanta, GA. begin to acquire steel targets or alternative courses of fire (paper targets only) can be considered. For the current season, some clubs may not agree with the proposed offer. We wish them luck and thank them for their past service. We sincerely request your patience and understanding. There will be a full schedule of matches. Some dates and locations may change. Check back frequently at gssfonline.com as we expect new announcements almost daily. If your club is interested in hosting a GSSF match, please mail or fax us an Application to Host GSSF.

FIRST MATCH: ANDERSON, SC, 9-10 APRIL, 2005 where 1 in 4 WIN!

A personal message to our current members concerning memberships and matches:

The Glock Sport Shooting Foundation is a program of GLOCK, Inc. Our “profit” comes not from funds from membership and matches, but from the satisfaction of providing safe and fun events for competitions and service to GLOCK owners. A small and dedicated staff works hard traveling, running events, and processing scores and awards. We want grow and the way to do that is to increase membership. We’ll have a drawing every match for those members bringing new members. So tell and bring your friends! More members = more fun, prizes and matches!

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK…

GSSF

6000 Highlands Pkwy

Smyrna, GA 30082

770.437.4719 Fax

My limited understanding on this is the host club is now required to set 4 of each stage. This means a significant investment to double their steel and plate racks.

Supposedly, the payback to the club is only $2 per shooter so it would hurt clubs that are supplying their own props.

It's too bad. The GSSF Match is the only reason I own a Glock :)

Regards,

After hearing about the changes directly from GSSF today, all 5 of our club officers that heard about it thought it would be better for the club, and better for the competitors, with no changes for the ROs.

The changes are minimal for us, and it penalizes no one. The top 10 guys will get what they always do, and the remaining shooters have a 1 in 4 chance at guns or money. The club will come out with exactly the same compensation as last year given the same number of entries.

We will be having our GSSF match as usual.

I am interested in shooting the match in South Carolina in April. I have never shot a gssf match and there is no info on the gssf site about registration, price, or rules. Can anyone give me the skinny??

ps. I'm a revolver shooter so don't use numbers bigger than 6.

I am interested in shooting the match in South Carolina in April. I have never shot a gssf match and there is no info on the gssf site about registration, price, or rules. Can anyone give me the skinny??

ps. I'm a revolver shooter so don't use numbers bigger than 6.

On top of everything else, GSSF is remodeling the web site so some things are not readily available. If you found the SC match announcement then just click the Registration button at the bottom of the list. That will bring up a PDF document that you can fill out and fax or mail. The registration doc also shows the fees. I don’t see the online registration with the PayPal feature that they have used in the past. I guess that will be part of the site upgrade. You can also call in your registration and membership information at: 770.437.4718

The rules and the courses of fire are in the Glock Report (look at the top of the page) which is another PDF document.

Basic rules are:

If you are not classed as a Master in another handgun shooting sport you may shoot in Amateur Civilian with nearly any stock Glock except the 34, the long slide or the “C” models. The Guardian class is for LEO, Fire fighters or military (there may be some additional categories here).

A stock gun in GSSF is…stock. It must have all Glock parts so no aftermarket connectors or barrels or other parts are allowed. Sights must be notch and post type but fiber optics are not allowed. Aftermarket target sights such as BoMar, Heine, etc., are OK.

You may shoot your stock 34, long slide or “C” model in the Competition class (requires an additional entry fee).

You will need a minimum of four magazines and if you shoot every shot allowed on all three COF’s you would need 107 rounds. If you don’t miss on steel all you will need is 81 rounds. You are not allowed to make up shots on paper. The maximum load per string is 10 +1.

geezer

Fomeister,

I have noticed that you and J.K. are avid 3 gunners.

The KY state 3-gun championship is on Oct. 28 & 29, 2005.

Did you take this into account, and are you still planning to hold the GSSF Regional match on Oct. 29 & 30?

Richard

Schennberg.com

We know about the conflict with KY ST 3Gun, but have decided to proceed with our original date. Several of us are going to setup on Friday, go to ORPC and shoot the 3Gun championship on Saturday, and return to work and shoot the GSSF match on Sunday. JK will have to miss it, so maybe I'll discuss with him again, but with the dates already board approved and I'll have to check for clubwide conflicts for any other dates considered, which I will do next week. Thanks for the heads-up Richard.

geezer,

Thanks for the info, I had found the app for GSSF but not the one for the match. I'll call them and see if I can get the rules sent to me.

Can you shoot a gun with a 3.5lb connector? I have a 17 and a 20 and both have them.

Thanks again,

Cliff

geezer,

Thanks for the info, I had found the app for GSSF but not the one for the match. I'll call them and see if I can get the rules sent to me.

Can you shoot a gun with a 3.5lb connector?  I have a 17 and a 20 and both have them.

Thanks again,

Cliff

As long as it is the Glock connector and not a Ghost or other brand. Look at the Glock Report Archives for 2004, Vol 1 for additional info. The GSSF member app is the registration app also.

geezer

My limited understanding on this is the host club is now required to set 4 of each stage.  This means a significant investment to double their steel and plate racks. 

Regards,

4 of each stage?!!!!!!

Are you sure about this?? That basically would terminate all GSSF matches west of the Mississipi. I've been to all the big matches in the NW and have never seen more than one setup of each stage, with the exception of the plate rack IIRC.

I don't even see a need for multiple stages. Even in SoCal, the wait time is extremely minimal.

We ususally set up 3 of each stage for the Annual Glock Shoot held at South River. I think we hit Glock's high-water mark in 2002, with over 580 entries. 2003 was down a bit to approximately 540.

Being in Glock's back yard, it's very popular.

• 2 weeks later...

The Shreveport GSSF match is proably not going to happen this year also due to the club (Miculek IDPA) deciding it wasnt worth the rewards. It could change but I doubt it. I will let ya know if that changes.

Byoung

Livingston Gun Club will be having a GSSF match here in Michigan in either September or October. Details will be forthcoming when the club president comes to terms with Glock on the date. We felt the compensation package was very fair, contrary to what was said here.

Jeff