Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic mount options for DMR/SPR AR.

Tuflehundon

I built my rifle for 3gun, but also built it more as a DMR/SPR style rifle. I previously had a Bushnell AR Optics PCL 1-4 on it which worked fine for 3gun. Now St Augustine is hosting a DMR/SPR match on a quarterly basis and I am wanting to start shooting that match. It's 5 longer range stages and 1 short bay style stage instead of the normal 3gun 5 short bay stages and 1 longer range stage. Long range stages will be going out to 600 yards.

I have my load worked out. I have also picked my new optic, which will be the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MOA. I shoot Open in 3gun, and already have an offset EOTech on the rifle, so I didn't need 1X. Now I need a new mount, since my old one won't allow me to move the scope any farther forward and still work with my Devil Dog Customs Hard Charger (side charger).

Pic of hard charger:

FullSizeRender1_zps10337c1f.jpg

So I need an optic mount with a decent amount of cantilever. I am looking at the Warne XSkel mount, which I really like due to the color options and the fact that they support 3gun. I am also looking at the Vortex 3" cantilever mount. Any other good or better options out there? The one thing I don't want is quick release. It's going on the rifle and will never be taken off unless I get a new rifle. Won't be switching back and forth.

Warne XSkel

http://swfa.com/Warne-MSR-Extended-Skeletonized-30mm-Mount-P81563.aspx

Vortex mount

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Cantilever-30mm-Ring-Mount-P51758.aspx

Edited by Tuflehundon

JP has no levers sticking out, so it should clear better than most.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFTSM-34E

It's not the knobs sticking out the side that's the issue. It's the clearance up front. JP seems too low to clear the side charger mount on the rail.

I had the SWFA SSALT mount before, and it's knobs stick out the same side as the charger and I never had issues with them.

I use Aero Precision on my LAR side charge as there are no protrusions on the left side to rip off a fingernail or two.

There is another model which moves the scope farther forward than the one I have, however this one works quite well for me.

31c3df59-db87-42dc-a0fc-271cbf3a2ef7_zps

Edited by Steve RA

Note that the Warne mount sits a little lower than most other mounts. If we were talking red dots, the Warne would be an absolute co-witness, whereas most others would be a lower 1/3 co-witness. It's the reason I prefer Warne over all others, but given that their height seems to be the exception rather than the rule, I might be in the minority. Just an FYI...