Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP Xtreme bullets

JJP161

Ok guys enough of you have commented so I am going to try some of .45 cal bullets. I will be shooting them from my Ruger SR1911 and my Glock 41. I usually use 230 gr RN but I am open to trying something different. So what have you found to be the most accurate 45 bullet in the Xtreme lineup? Thank you

Edited by JJP161

Out of my HK USP Expert I have had the best accuracy out of the 200gr HP followed closely by the 230gr HP. The 200gr SWC sucked accuracy wise. However none of them have been as accurate as the blue bullets no groove 200gr SWC, that bullet I have clover leafed 5 shots at 25yds with. Best groups out of the Xtremes were right at 2" with the hollow points, the Xtreme SWC were more like 3-4 inches.

You might also try the Xtreme 230gr HP. I have shot several thousand thru a STI Sentry and a Glock 41 and they have been excellent, at least as good as the RN if not slightly better. The only factor I had initially was dialing in the crimp for good accuracy.

Yeah I've been real happy with the 230 gr RN myself. So much so I've yet to try the 230 gr HP. I load for myself and a couple friends and the RN feed so well through whatever they are put in that I am hesitant to change anything up. The accuracy on them is better than any factory stuff I've seen in the same profile at less than half the price usually. Although I am just a range guy who doesn't compete so take that into consideration.

230 RN have been good to go for me. I can't get the 200 SWC to feed in any 1911 reliably.

Wish I'd seen this before buying 1000 of the 200g to try. :)

I have also found the 200 gr SWC to not be as accurate as other 200 gr SWC.

I will add that the OAL is critical for the 200 SWC in order to get reliable feeding.

For my SR1911, I have to seat the Xtreme 200 SWC at 1.230 to get consistent feeding with no 3 point hangups.

For all other 200 gr SWC (Cast lubed lead, Gatway coated , MBC coated) I seat at 1.225.

As always YMMV

230 RN have been good to go for me. I can't get the 200 SWC to feed in any 1911 reliably.

Wish I'd seen this before buying 1000 of the 200g to try. :)

I have also found the 200 gr SWC to not be as accurate as other 200 gr SWC.

I will add that the OAL is critical for the 200 SWC in order to get reliable feeding.

For my SR1911, I have to seat the Xtreme 200 SWC at 1.230 to get consistent feeding with no 3 point hangups.

For all other 200 gr SWC (Cast lubed lead, Gatway coated , MBC coated) I seat at 1.225.

As always YMMV

I'll have to check my notes but pretty sure I tried them in 1.230 with no luck either. When I couldn't figure it out I went looking for a solution and it seems quite a few people have had trouble with the Xtreme 200gr SWC profile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind when using SWC in a 1911 is the feed lips on your mag.

SWC feed most efficiently using wadcutter specific mags such as Metalform, or a magazine with hybrid feed lips.

Standard lips are straight and parallel. Hybrid flair slightly so that as the round moves into the chamber, the back of the round starts to rise, aligning itself with the chamber.

This makes going into battery more consistent.

I found the comments interesting. I've been using Xtreme plated 185 gn SWCs in my Range Officer and have had no issues at all with feeding or accuracy. Maybe I'm not as discerning as I should be. Will have to try the 230 gn plated RN ones next.

I've shot a bunch of the 230gr HPs in my suppressed guns, I usually shoot lead but don't through a suppressor. Just for kicks I tried that 230gr HP in all of my other 45s and sure enough the first load I tried was solid in about 5 different guns. So far I haven't found a gun that didn't like them.

I've shot a bunch of the 230gr HPs in my suppressed guns, I usually shoot lead but don't through a suppressor. Just for kicks I tried that 230gr HP in all of my other 45s and sure enough the first load I tried was solid in about 5 different guns. So far I haven't found a gun that didn't like them.

Why not lead in a suppressed?

Speaking of what kind of can do you run. I'm thinking about investing in a suppressor and trying to decide on the make. Gotta be a 45 one though.

I run a YHM Cobra. My SR1911 and 21 have factory sights. No issue hitting what i aim at, running the 200gr xtreme, but the RN.

• 4 years later...

Im shooting Extreme plated 200gr swc in a G41, over 5.1 gr of Shooters World CLEAN SHOT.

I first seated at 1.230 and I wasnt crimping,  they continued too 3 point, even with different mags.   I opened it up all the way to 1.270, still fit great in magazines, and the problem all but went away.  Put just a slight touch of a crimp...  Butter!  Oh, I also found that polishing the ramp and throat, ESPECIALLY ON THE SIDES helps tremendously.

• 2 weeks later...

For 200gr SWC ,My go to bullet is the Missouri 200gr SWC ,both coated and uncoated over 5.4 grs unique ,Both are very accurate out of both my Springfield Stainless and Para Ordinance Elite. Cant remember  OAL But never any trouble out of either gun with SWC. The Extreme and Rainier  SWC are a different story! I also like the groove less SWC by Missouri. Either one I use is on the Brinell hardness scale at 18 .