Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vice Prez at 10

dirtypool40

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - someone clue me - whats the diff in extra time you can spend to get the same score between a

C and an A  -

D and a C

D and a A

Hope I am clear?

I can't do that exactly, but between a known A at 10 yards limited gun repeatable results, .25 +/- .03 splits and transitions (note: those split times will get you 100% score on the classifier also) hopers (C's, D's, Mikes) .14-.15 +/- .03.

The time diference between a known A and a C or D or Mike is the same, it is reflex time, not a controled shot, not something I want to do.

Ok, finally some current times for my own thread.

Ran this maybe ten times yesterday.

Good, repeatable runs about 4.30 down 3-6.

Best of a 3.88 down 3. That was a dream, all the hits were in tight little clusters, and I saw everything. and with a 1.15 reload!!! If I could bottle that one.... :rolleyes:

I also had a 4.0 down 4 with a trigger freeze (.44 split vs. about a .20) on the last round. So while not the norm I figure I can hit sub 4.0 on occaision.

Draws hovered around .95, reloads were somewhat slower (lack of dry fire), with a best of 1.00 and an average about 1.15. Never really smoked a reload all day, I know 1.0 is pretty fast, but I always felt I was wasting a tick looking back to the target or getting the mag to drop.

In my defense I was shooting just before dark, with low sun and I was almost point shooting the last eight rounds of the drill through smoke. I'll hit these again Saturday with better conditions and report back. Of course it'll be embarrassing if I shoot WORSE under better conditions. :unsure:

I'm pretty happy with this, with standard gear, and on Amoebas. Hoestly it's pretty close to what my "double Bill" speed would be. I am not a "split finger and have trouble cranking anything faster than .18 off with regularity.

My goal is still to average some nice, boring clean runs around 4.0. Well, back to work.

Actually now that I do the math, with decent average numbers:

.95 draw

1.05 reload

5 splits of .18

5 transitions of .22

That adds up to 4.0. Yeah on occaision I hit a .88 draw or dip just below 1.0 on a reload, but those are pretty real #'s in general, so for now at least a 4.0 is a pretty sporty run for me.

This is all Standard / Limited from point of hip, on Amoebas. I have shiny new Open gun I have yet to shoot (don't even have a rig for yet?!?!). Maybe on larger USPSA targets with the bigger magwell, things up front, and a dot / comp speeding things up on target.........with ALL that stuff going for me AND a lot of practice I might pick up a tick or two, but first I'll have to figure out how the hell to shoot the damned thing.

That's when I figure I'll know I am making progres, when I can shoot an Open gun better than my limited blasters.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, just got back from a range session.

Production Glock 34, bladetech gear.

Best of all, I'm still unclassified.

Avg was 5.7 seconds.

1.2 draws

.22 splits

.45 transitions

1.5 reloads

Did this at the beginning of practice so I was getting my reloads faster toward the end. Still need to work on transitions. Best run was 5.3 down 4 charlies.

Well I only had time to shoot the seven and ten Yards today due to weather getting nasty but here's what I got.

Unclassified L-10, P14, Blade Tech Holster, Safariland Mag Pouches

7 Yards

1. Time 8.31, 58 Points, Hit the wrong button on timer, 6.87 HF

2. Time 8.36, 58 Points, Draw 1.53, Reload 2.44, 6.93 HF

3. Time 8.77, 60 Points, Draw 1.76, Reload 2.11, 6.84 HF

4. Time 7.07, 54 Points, Draw 2.50, Reload 1.97, 7.63 HF

10 Yards

1. Time 8.49, 58 Points, Draw 1.59, Reload 2.22, 6.83 HF

2. Time 9.00, 58 Points, Hit the wrong button on timer, 6.44 HF

3. Time 8.89, 54 Points, Draw 1.65, Reload 2.24, 6.07 HF

4. Time 7.81, 49 Points, Draw 1.36, Reload 1.97, 6.27 HF (Last try, balls to the wall)

It's not as fast as everyone else, but that just means more practice. My last run was going as fast as I can. This exercise can humble someone pretty quickly but I'm not going to let it get me down. I have all my runs saved in Excel and am going to document it as I go. Definite fun factor.

JOe

ParaJoe, that's the funny thing about this forum, there are actually shooters on here. I ask about an IPSC Standard reload, and I hear from a dozen guys who are regularly breaking one second.

Yeah it's easy to get discouraged or think they are full of it (like on a lot of other forums). the difference here is THIS is where the shooters come. You're not talking with the average gunstore commandos here, you can regularly chat with guys who are top 16 in the country!!!

It can be discouraging, but stick with it. This is a tough crowd, but a good bunch of guys none the less. ;)

I have a new IPSC buddy I recruited down here. He's a long time shooter, but got the bug after watching a buddy (also "M" classer) and I go through a match here. Now he has the gear (STI Eagle etc) and comes out to practice with us.

His earlier "tactical" training is getting in his way, and he has a bad habit of "hammering" or "double tapping" every target; one index two shots. He sees us run this drill in low 4.xx's and is very discouraged that it takes him 9 seconds right now.

Again, while we are not world beaters, my buddy and I are not garden variety plinkers either and it took us time to get here. He wants to be good though, and I would not be surprise dif he wasn't pushing us within a year.

stay at it.

ParaJoe, that's the funny thing about this forum, there are actually shooters on here.  I ask about an IPSC Standard reload, and I hear from a dozen guys who are regularly breaking one second.

Yeah it's easy to get discouraged or think they are full of it (like on a lot of other forums).  the difference here is THIS is where the shooters come.  You're not talking with the average gunstore commandos here, you can regularly chat with guys who are top 16 in the country!!!

It can be discouraging, but stick with it.  This is a tough crowd, but a good bunch of guys none the less. ;)

I have a new IPSC buddy I recruited down here.  He's a long time shooter, but got the bug after watching a buddy (also "M" classer) and I go through a match here.  Now he has the gear (STI Eagle etc) and comes out to practice with us.

His earlier "tactical" training is getting in his way, and he has a bad habit of "hammering" or "double tapping" every target; one index two shots.  He sees us run this drill in low 4.xx's and is very discouraged that it takes him 9 seconds right now.

Again, while we are not world beaters, my buddy and I are not garden variety plinkers either and it took us time to get here.  He wants to be good though, and I would not be surprise dif he wasn't pushing us within a year.

stay at it.

I'm not discouraged because the other shooters can do it faster than I, it's a little discouraging because I have been practicing the reloads like it's going out of style and I didn't get the times I was looking for. But it's ok, more practice. I have realized that this is the place where shooters that wear out guns come. Right now I'm a struggling low C but by the end of the year I will be a solid C. I'm stepping up the pace to 2-3 local matches a month. I'm going to shoot the drill again tomorrow. Post some more times, JOe

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the original spacing for the El Prez was 3 yds, edge to edge of the targets, and yes, it does slow you down quite noticably as vs 1 yd between the targets. Just like 10 yds slows you down, as vs 7 yds, or causes you to drop a few pts if you dont slow down. A 180 degree pivot should not add more than .20 second to your draw. From concealment, it adds almost nothing, beccause by the time you can clear the garment, you can be turned around.

Actually, the original spacing for the El Prez was 3 yds, edge to edge of the targets, and yes, it does slow you down quite noticably as vs 1 yd between the targets.

The drill in question is based on a Vice Presidente - a different classifier (don't have the number handy). It's similar to an El Prez, except that you face the targets for the start, the targets are closer together, and, IIRC, the targets are 3 yards closer, as well (7 vs. the El Pres 10).

I tried over the weekend to see what I could do...not very well...best was a 4.22 down 5 with the limited gun and 4.50 with the skinny gun down 5 also...felt I was trying too much could not get relaxed...too mechanical..but there is always another day.. :)

• 2 weeks later...