Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 yard sprints

Salsantini

I have recently(the last two months) been working into my training routine short sprints. The goal is to increase acceleration from a standing position. I will sometimes do 50 10 yard sprints. I will also sprint right, stop, and then 10 yards forward , then left. Start with the left foot forward. then right foot forward. Hands up and hands at side. Facing opposite the direction I'm going to sprint; turning right then sprinting. Then doing the same turning left. Quite challenging. I am seeing improvement in my quickness. Great workout. I suggest starting with less than 50 sprints and work your way up.

Edited by Salsantini

Are you also working on your stopping at the end of the sprint? I find the feet at the final position and the last 2-3 steps to get to that position are more important to help stabilize to continue target engagement.

I do this kind of stuff with the gun in my hand, aiming at targets. 2 birds with one stone. for sure, i get better at exploding away from a position, but I also get better and seeing the sights on the last target before I leave (or as I leave, depending on the target difficulty).

I'm a beginner shooting .... with healthcare back ground I'm quite familiar with kinesiology , anatomy and physiology. Etc etc....

One thing I've noticed when watching others videos. Is the beginning of trasition movement..........most stutter, flinch . Or move, re- move, to a ready position before actually taking first step which equals time.

It can be a bit of a flinch...have you seen man of fire. ...., where he is training lupita how to react of starting block at swim meet......

Watching the big guns an professional athletes. The move happens instant!! Watch sprinters. Eg Olympic 100 yard dash.... Gun shot explosive forward motion. Last shot , no wasted movement, moving towards......

Dancers are the most amazing to watch because they go into motion into the most bizarre movements fluidly, for what appears to be non ready positions.

If you're not thoroughly confused..... With video analyze your movement/ transitions. From last shot to moving stopping to next shot....

Try and cut out any movement you don't need.

When doing box jumps, make sure to stand up completely.... You'll want that complete hip extension.

Without getting too complicated look into these additional plyometrics, quick drills or ladder drills, skipping rope, adding lateral, forward, rear movement From landing box jump.

Hit me up when you need more.......

Looks like you already have some good drills. What your preaching goes high on list for training tips.

Edited by biglou13

Great points and some things I try to work on a bit as well. I've noticed a big improvement on my agility and explosiveness but still need to work on more.

If you want to work on explosive stop and starts try this: Start a running clock and on go run a 10yd sprint, now wait the rest of the minute. As soon as the next minute starts (minute #2) run 2-10yd sprints, one down and one back. 3rd minute do 3 (down-back-down), 4th minute do 4 (down-back-down-back), etc. It will seem boring and stupid for about 6-10 minutes, then it will get harder. When you fail to complete the round you are on within that minute, then you're done so if you get through 15 minutes but then can't do the full 16 sprints the next minutes your score is 15. Write it down and see if you can improve it over time.

It gets harder than you think if you push yourself :) Great cardio workout and you really get to work on starting and stopping quickly, changing directions, etc.

Moving aggressively and moving aggressively while maintaining a functional shooting platform as you exit/enter positions are two completely different skills. If you are doing sprint movement drills without preserving a functional shooting platform as you exit and enter positions, then you are wasting your time.

The majority of the aggressive movement we perform during stage runs requires aggressive yet smooth movement that allows us to shoot as late or as soon as needed while exiting or entering positions. It is also best to accelerate out of positions with a solid push by your trailing leg using two large power steps followed by shorter strides to maintain top speed and get the foot work right while entering the next position. This is assuming that you need 3+ full strides of solid running between shooting positions.

Most people try to move out of the positions using shorter steps and their gait increases as they move faster. This creates a slow launch out of the position followed by out of time foot work as they enter the next position because they are still in "Acceleration" mode as they are starting to enter the next position.

• 2 months later...

Sprints and intervals are good for many things, but I wouldn't focus on them if I'm trying to hone my USPSA movement skills.

If you have a good level of cardiovascular fitness, you prob have all the lung/muscle needed for fast USPSA movements. You need to work on your agility and entry and exits.

Ben Stoeger's website has some good 'hard exit' and 'east exit' drills. Focus on these points of performance:

-While putting your stage plan together, pick each transition type - i.e. shuffle step method, or the quick replanting of the legs and driving hard. Obviously the first is for short distances and the second is for longer distances.

-If your shooting prod or SS or L10 or if the stage plan involves reloads for whatever reason, practice getting those in before you get to your next position. I watch plenty of footage from my earlier prod shooting where I start the reload late, ie after I start moving to the next position, and then I'm finishing the reload as I'm getting in the next position, as opposed to focusing on starting the next array of shooting.

-Video tape yourself and look at efficiency of movement - the pros all have an amazing economy of movement - no extraneous movement.

• 1 month later...

Generally I like to focus more on agility rather than streight line sprints. Cone Drills with lots of start/stops, agility ladder etc. They are a bit more specific to the sport than a streight line. Make sure you are working on a buzzer/whistle as well. Something that will signify when you need to go and need to stop. A shot timer with a random delay and par time would actually be perfect. I had a client, who was also a USPSA shooter, D class at the time, she was able to move up pretty quick working on the physical aspect of shooting. You dont have to be "top speed" fast, but you do need to be able to get your legs moving in a hurry. So your start/stops need to be quick.

i had the wonderful opportunity to spend 3 days with Max Michel. I like his launch. I have also watch, in person and more than once, Taran, Voight, TGO, Nils, and a host of other GMs.

They all have a slightly different launch routine. There is no one cookbook that works for everyone. Watching TGO at Nationals in MT one year was enlightening, he only moves to where he needs to in order to make the shot. Taran never seems to stop, like performing a California rolling stop, Mike moves into and out of position exceptionly well.

Biglou 13 is right on the money. The strength of the muscles can aid in your quickness. The actual good technique enhances the movement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like all the cone drills in the NFL combine. Tons of examples on YT.

Like has been mentioned in other posts here, do some work just for the pure athleticism of it and also do some of your work with shooting specifically in mind. ie do the agility ladder with your pistol in hand, run your cone drills with pistol in hand, do your dry fire with movement, ect.

• 3 months later...