Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Fiber Optic Front Sight Blade

Intel6

Just wondering what others have gone to for their 929, height and width? I noticed that the rear factory blade is higher that the normal S&W rear blade and didn't know if that would have any implications for blade height or thickness. I found I liked the FO blade I have on my 627 and really noticed not having one when shooting my new 929 so I need to get one.

Thanks for any/all info,

Neal in AZ

Warren -

Thanks! Since the factory blade is .220" it would seem that is a bit higher. The height is what I was wondering about since the rear blade is higher than any other blade I have seen from S&W. I am guessing it is working for your customers which is what I was wondering about.

UFO -

I would like to be able to do that and if I could finds someone local (hate shipping guns) I would ask for a group rate and get it done to more than a few of my S&W revolvers.

I have the easy interchangeable sight on my 627 and wondered why they didn't do it on the PC 929? It would be some much nicer but I would guess $ has something to do with it.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

First, I would get away from the pinned front sight and go to this. http://www.jackweigand.com/interfs.html

Then, you will be able to readily change out the front sight to suit your needs. I did on my 627 V-Comp and have been very happy.

I would never get rid of a pinned front sight, they stay attached to the gun when you catch the edge of a port. I've put a ball bearing behind the spring of my 627's DX front sight to increase the spring tension. I prefer the pinned front on my 625.

That Wiegand system is good if you're shortening a barrel, but it adds several screws that can loosen under recoil. IMHO, simpler is better.

I would never get rid of a pinned front sight, they stay attached to the gun when you catch the edge of a port.

That actually happened to me at Area 3 last year--made me really re-think the whole interchangeable sight notion. In reality, most of us don't really need to interchange sights, just the fiber colors now and then.

I have the interchangeable bases on a few guns, some factory and some aftermarket. Once in a while a sight would pop out when holstering or the front of it getting caught on something. My fix was to knock out the pin, remove the spring and plunger and replace with a stronger spring.

I had the front sight pop out on both a stock 627 and another with a Weigand sight base. On the smith I just put a pin in it as I really do not need to change it anyway. On the Weigland base I punched out the front pin and tapped the base for a 8-32 set screw

Have not lost either since the mods

Funny, I have never heard of anyone having one of their S&W replaceable front sights popping out like that. I don't think I would have ever even thought of that, probably until it happened to me. :angry2:

Don't tend to hit my gun on things like doorways so I guess I am low risk. I did smack the comp on my open gun on a metal "doorway" one year at Doubletap. Had the run on video and as I went through the doorway you hear this big metal klink!

Neal in AZ

For what its worth, I purchased one from Warren at Protocall and it's been awesome. I used his recommended .100 Wide and .250 Tall. I've put several hundred rounds through it before and after Revo Nats this year and it's stayed in place. No complaints or problems what so ever.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for joining this one late. The problem with the 929 is that the sight base is just a little shorter than other S&Ws. I got the EGW FO front sight and it's just a 0.01" longer than I'd like. It took a punch and careful taping to get it seated, then drilled the hole and there it is. The problem is it usually take 2 of those Hobby Lobby drill bits to make it through.

It may be a little tall. I haven't taken it out with this sight yet. I'm also changing bullet weights, so sight adjustments are in order anyway.

Don't laugh. I don't clean my guns but after every couple of 1,000 or so rounds. I've had the Apex treatment done, and I put on the FO sight. Now to consider cutting the barrel nub off.

IMG_5485-X2.jpg