Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is a wall not a wall

Dave Campbell

When is a wall considered an obstacle or a barrier??

Course wsb Shoot targets as visible from within fault lines.

Question is enclosed within fault lines is a Barrier ? wall? obstacle?

To complete course some targets can only be seen from 1 side or the other, you have to go to both sides of the wall.

Port/ hole in wall? is 28" off the ground 24" wide and 48" high .Think a wall with 2x4 construction 8ft long with a 2 ft wide port in the middle. Some shooters ran around the wall, a few went through the port, a taller shooter simply walked through, a shorter shooter elected to go under the Wall? Barrier? It is not a fault line and not mentioned in WSB.

If it is a barrier 2.2.3.3 is the right call . Going around is good, going through is OK, going under is not OK .

If it is an obstacle do whatever you want.

I called it a barrier .

Good Call ??

I think i saw a video of that. I would be okay with a shooter easing thru the window, but going under is another story.

But I believe, it should have been clarified in the WSB. There are set-ups sometimes that the lower portion of the wall

is deemed open and engaging targets are allowed.

Point taken.... Will keep that in mind. Honestly, we didin't expect a shooter to crawl under! LOL

Going under is actually illegal--2.2.3.3 says "Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be considered to go from the ground to the height as constructed."

So, if the WSB didn't say the wall was from the height it started above the ground, then it's assumed to be from ground to the top of the wall.

However, going thru the port is perfectly valid, unless the WSB said the wall was considered to be solid, regardless of its actual construction.

It's also valid to shoot over a wall, unless the WSB says it extends to infinity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So if i understand correctly, the shooter walked under the wall right? As far as I understand it, the "walls go up and down to infinity" calling is descriptive of shots fired, not movement. Could be wrong.

So if i understand correctly, the shooter walked under the wall right? As far as I understand it, the "walls go up and down to infinity" calling is descriptive of shots fired, not movement. Could be wrong.

Actually, unless specified otherwise, walls are assumed to go from the ground to the height constructed. [2.2.3.3]

• 2 weeks later...

Ground to height constructed. Can't go under a wall. Leaning thru a port is ok most of the time. if the wall is not connected to the fault lines then you can't lean on it, etc. But if the wall is part of the fault line and you can lean through it to shoot, go for it. Bunch of people did that on a stage at the IN sectional this year.