Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do pros choose a vertical mount vs a 90 degree?

Ub3RDoRK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking about switching to a vertical mount on my DVC 9mm open... I noticed that the underside of the scope mount is beginning to show dings from the ejected brass.. my DVC only has about 500 rds thru it now.. on my last Tru Bore the vertical mount solved a jamming problem where the brass would hit the scope mount and bounce back in the gun... any other ideas ?

Edited by cecil

I am thinking about switching to a vertical mount on my DVC 9mm open... I noticed that the underside of the scope mount is beginning to show dings from the ejected brass.. my DVC only has about 500 rds thru it now.. on my last Tru Bore the vertical mount solved a jamming problem where the brass would hit the scope mount and bounce back in the gun... any other ideas ?

This is the biggest problem with the 9mm. All the brass is different and ejects differently. Ejectors and extractors have to really be tuned to the nth degree to make them fool proof. Mag springs also make them eject different. I shoot a 9 and love it but that was a challenge for awhile after I had a new slide put on the gun. I just stuck an ugly ass 90 on the gun and quit worrying about it. My next venture will be an RTS2 once I read 10 straight positive reviews on their dependability.

This is the biggest problem with the 9mm. All the brass is different and ejects differently. Ejectors and extractors have to really be tuned to the nth degree to make them fool proof. Mag springs also make them eject different. I shoot a 9 and love it but that was a challenge for awhile after I had a new slide put on the gun. I just stuck an ugly ass 90 on the gun and quit worrying about it. My next venture will be an RTS2 once I read 10 straight positive reviews on their dependability.
My buddy has one that hasn't puked...yet.?

My buddy has one that hasn't puked...yet.

I know. Mine ran perfect for two years and then the slide cracked and was replaced. No matter what was tried as far as getting everything replicated perfectly it was a jammomatic from there on out. Something, somehow, somewhere, changed and it was never the same.

I really don't know what the true statistics are, they are impossible to get from reading a forum, but I have been shooting 9mm for maybe 5 years, using several different guns, and only one of them has some minor issues, all others have been just fine, without any tuning.

I'm interested by the folks that say a 90 degree mount means you see "less". If you shoot with both eyes open (and I assume most do) it's a complete non-issue. Your brain compensates and superimposes left and right eye images so you see "everything".

It's like when you shoot with a suppressor and regular (vs. tall) sights. You can still see the target even though it's hidden from one eye (the dominant one) by the diameter of the suppressor.

I'm interested by the folks that say a 90 degree mount means you see "less". If you shoot with both eyes open (and I assume most do) it's a complete non-issue. Your brain compensates and superimposes left and right eye images so you see "everything".

It's like when you shoot with a suppressor and regular (vs. tall) sights. You can still see the target even though it's hidden from one eye (the dominant one) by the diameter of the suppressor.

To me I don't notice. Hell, I don't even really see the gun at all when I'm on the clock

Right. Although that's kind of a different point. I have a vague recollection after a stage of sight pictures. During a stage I only really "tune in" when I have a bad sight picture or make a mistake of some kind.

Edited by selecw

Take for what it's worth I was told by cmore that the slide ride was not ment to be mounted 90 degree that's why the adjustment screws became loose and kept loosing it's zero they fixed it and when I got it back zeroed it and prob 200 rds later lost the zero again so I bought a rts2

Take for what it's worth I was told by cmore that the slide ride was not ment to be mounted 90 degree that's why the adjustment screws became loose and kept loosing it's zero they fixed it and when I got it back zeroed it and prob 200 rds later lost the zero again so I bought a rts2

Hello: That is bull crap. I have used the 90 degree mount for many years. The only time mine lost zero is when I forgot to Loc Tite the mount screws to the frame. I have well over 30,000 rounds through a couple of different open guns with 90 degree mounts. Never lost zero. Thanks, Eric

I don't buy that either. A screw should stay tight no matter which way it's oriented. Some cmores just work better than others I guess. Some won't hold zero and need fixed and others eat batteries like crazy. Thankfully mine don't suffer those issues

I have a 90 degree mount on my Tru Bor.. over 12,000 rounds later the CMore has not had one problem ... I don't like the look... but the results I do like.. I ordered a 90 for my DVC...

osm

To the people asking why C-More didn't make the RTS series of sights with a larger lense, CMore doesn't manufacture the unit it is just a rebrand from a overseas manufacturer. We just need a company owned and run by competition shooters to produce a product.

To the people asking why C-More didn't make the RTS series of sights with a larger lense, CMore doesn't manufacture the unit it is just a rebrand from a overseas manufacturer. We just need a company owned and run by competition shooters to produce a product.

Amen

There is a reason for why the C-More is designed the way it is..........and thus why it is named as such. For some folks that often switch back and forth between limited and open, I might see an argument for a sideways C-More. But for the other 99.9% of the folks that would do that........you just converted your C-More to a C-Less.

lol

Amen

+1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a 45* mount as well. All the benefits of a 90* mount but a bit less bulk and more visibility on the left side. Only trade off is it's a bit harder to zero in...but really not much more difficult than a 90*

I use a 45* mount as well. All the benefits of a 90* mount but a bit less bulk and more visibility on the left side. Only trade off is it's a bit harder to zero in...but really not much more difficult than a 90*

Who still makes 45's?

Problem? Not necessarily. On my older gun there is very visible errosion from the cases on the mount, but it never had any issues ejecting. That after thousands of rounds.

One tip I got is turn the target 45 too. Then left is left up is up etc. you probably know that already but it was something I hadn't thought of. :)

Problem? Not necessarily. On my older gun there is very visible errosion from the cases on the mount, but it never had any issues ejecting. That after thousands of rounds.

Mine had chips on the scope itself.

Who still makes 45's?

Don't think anyone makes them anymore. I picked it up on the forums a while ago.