Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for Limited

Chuck Merriam

Ok.I have the mags out of the way(Beven Grams)..how about a holster? STI Edge.

I have been shooting limited 10 and like kydex. Will I really be that much faster with a race rig? I have looked at Safariland 012 ($75), Rescomp ($150), Garcia Xtreme ($109), Arredondo ($109), etc. I am not sure I want to have to remember to do something so my gun doesn't hit the trail?!? Price is an issue since I am not sure if it is worth the money. The Xtreme looks good since I can unlock on the draw or fast Draw.....the Arredondo since I can Lock, 12 lb Lock or Fast Draw. The Safariland I am not sure of with the tension knob...and the Rescomp because of the price. HELP :wacko: I would like to be able to use it with minor adjustments for my 1911 L10 Les Baer. A $60 kydex holster is feeling like a safe bet, but will I be missing out? Thanks, Chuck

Having used both the 011 and now a CR Speed, I sorta wish I had just bought a $25 kydex Blade Tech or something similiar and saved the cash for practice ammo. Will you be a bit slower from this set up? yea. Will it matter over the course of a match? not likely. Finding one that will fit with with a full weight slide and full length dustcover might be a bit of a search, but I am sure it can be found.

FWIW, I went from production to open and I miss the Bladetech that my 226 was in. I had my 3 yard draw down to a consistent .8-.9.

You won't have to worry about whether the gun is 'locked' or if it is going to fall out when you're bending over or if someone bumps into it (I've actually seen this happen). Also, I honestly don't think you'll lose that much time (maybe a tenth) between a full kydex v. a 'race' holster.

Finding one that will fit with with a full weight slide and full length dustcover might be a bit of a search, but I am sure it can be found.

I'm not affiliated with Bladetech but they have a holster for the STI w/ full dustcover. I got one for my limited gun before I decided to go to open instead.

I didnt wanna sound like a cheap plug, but I have had fantastic dealings with Blade Tech. I use one of their macro line $20 holsters for my production G34 as well as another for my Sig and will defintly buy more in the future. Plus, I've had their company logo tattooed.

Finding one that will fit with with a full weight slide and full length dustcover might be a bit of a search, but I am sure it can be found.

I'm not affiliated with Bladetech but they have a holster for the STI w/ full dustcover. I got one for my limited gun before I decided to go to open instead.

Blade-tech is good stuff. I would reccomend getting the Tek-lok attachment.

Kind of what my gut was telling me...thaks for the input. I had already seen the Blade Tech prior to posing the question. I was a little scared of looking like a car with curb feelers on it....with all those mags and stuff sticking out.

Thanks, Chuck

I have a Safariland 012 and a Ghost.

I did not like the way my draw was causing the underside of my dustcover to wear with my 012. Additionally, I always worried about my gun falling out of my 012. It never did.

So I switched to a Ghost. I really like the Ghost. I never worried about the gun falling out--so it has three times. Twice in practice and once in a match. Each time the gun was unloaded and I forgot to lock it in place.

Go with the Ghost.

I use CR Speed, but in an attempt to answer the question of whether one of the holsters listed would be faster...no. Manny Bragg has one of the fastest draws in the game, and he uses a Bladetech holster. It all comes down to what you practice with. The "race holters" simply allow for better comfort and verstility.

My fastest draw comes from a Safariland 6280, believe it or not!

Phil

Phil,

I really agree with what you said. My fastest match draws were from a Safariland 560 and a single stack. A few were sub second and most in sub 1.1 whereas my Limited gun draws from either the Ghost or 012 hover around 1.25 - 1.35.

But still prefer the Ghost. I really like its adjustability and I do not scrape the bottom of my frame (which is probably due to poor technique).

I have been using the old Ghost with the pin for a few years now, for both open and limited. I don't think anything could be more secure when locked. There is no problem drawing from locked, you almost have to hit the release to grip the gun.

I use the CR speed and I enjoy the flexibility of the full race holster, but I find that it did not make me more than about a tenth faster. If you decide that Kydex is the way to go give Greg at Comp-tac a try. His locking paddly is an excellent piece of kit as well and he can whip one up for your full dust cover in a hurry.

Good luck Craig

I have a modified SPS(No optics)with rear adjustable and a fiber front sights.

For competition, I used Cr-Speed, Ghost and Safariland(training) with other gun models, and now I'm a Guga Ribas enthusiast :) I simply adore it.

As for daily carry, and competition at times, I use the Wilson Adjuster - which fits like a glove and sits very well(Both Paddle and Belt - but that's a personal perference).

None of the products I've mentioned fits a tight budget - they all move around 120-180$. Even the Wilson, is 110$.

Blade Tech have told me several times - that if I'm not pleased, or it doesn't fit, just send it back and get a full refund.