Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder for 9mm Production?

Kevin Kline

You mentioned that your friend was shooting a Sig. I shoot a Sig P226 and load 4.6gr of Titegroup over 115gr Rainier's with WSP. It is cheap and shoots good in my gun. A combination that can't be beat

I like Titegroup with a 124g loaded at 1.165 OAL. I run about a 135 PF (a little over).

I have tried the 147g at about the same PF, but it just felt too sluggish.

If not for the price, I would love to try VV.

Jay

doesnt really matter that much.

I liked Universal clays because of how clean it was,

titegroup because of how cheap(and relatively clean) it is

right now im using W231 with 147 grain berrys bullets...not because i like 231 or anything...i just got a hell of a deal on the 231 :P

3.4 grains, some form of small primer and berrys bullet seated at 1.150

titegroup and plated bullets tumbled in my glock..

with jacketed bullets it works great.. smokes too much with precision bullets in 9mm ... :wacko:

QUOTE(revchuck @ Mar 15 2005, 07:10 AM)

There seems to be a pattern here...

I use Titegroup, 4.2 grains under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" goes about 1050 fps from my CZ-75B and Beretta Brigadier.

1.14" seems long for a JHP.

Maybe, but it runs in my CZ-75B and Beretta Brigadier, both with factory barrels, and goes into 1.5" at 25 yards with the CZ. It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it. :)

There seems to be a pattern here...

I use Titegroup, 4.2 grains under a 125 grain Zero JHP loaded to 1.14" goes about 1050 fps from my CZ-75B and Beretta Brigadier.

1.14" seems long for a JHP.

I shoot montana gold JHPs in my 9mm at 1.155 inches with no malfunctions.

perhaps things arent as they seem. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Kevin!

I've had the opportunity of shooting a lot of tests with the P226 and 147's. I concurr with those who suggest TiteGroup for a reasonably sane, accurate and shootable 147 powder. I'm about to load a whole bunch of TiteGroup for me SIGARMS team mates to use in Ecuador, in fact.

I feel N320 has a definite edge in subjective feel, if lower recoil is a big consideration.

I personally feel N310 is too hairy for assured use with jacketed 147's, and it won't group as well as N320 at the same PF. (I seek a 128.5 PF ideally.)

However, my favorite load for sheer lack of slide velocity has been the Laser-Cast 147 @ 1.150" over 2.9 grains N310 and a Federal primer. This load will group surprisingly well (into 2.5" @ 25 meters or better) for at least 40 rounds before falling off significantly from lead fouling; two passes with the bore snake will restore accuracy for at least 350 rounds total in my guns, so I could get through an Area match without needing to delead my barrel. It's absolutely the softest shooting thing you can run in 9X19, and allows use of a 10 pound recoil spring in the SIG. I ran this load for most of 2003 and through A6 last year.

(The lead fouling was a minor hassle; this load constitutes abuse of a very good bullet. I don't care about smoke. Those who place ahead of me don't seem to care, and those who don't can't say it was a factor.)

I mention this because I realized I wasn't shooting it as well as snappier stuff, and now feel the quest for the ultimate in soft recoil and low slide velocity may be something of a false one. We got Federal factory 115's last year, and I found myself shooting that stuff better than the 147 LC's on most things, and I shoot a jacketed 147 with TiteGroup or N320 better than either. I personally find the P226ST is best with a 13X variable recoil spring, so I don't want less slide velocity that the TiteGroup produces for me. Thanks for letting weigh in! -Bruce

I have a preference for 124's in 9x19 because they are a little snappier and make the gun feel better in recoil. Seems to return better/faster for me.

I like AA7 under a 124 JHP at whatever it takes to get 1125 to 1150 fps (7.5 grains for me at 1.114" OAL). This has the added benefit of being a full case charge which allows a visual powder check very easily, and pretty much eliminates the chance of a doublecharge.

BTW, IME the SD is usually a lot lower with near full case charges of slower powders under lightweights compared to teensy charges of fast powder under heavies.

--

Regards,

5.3gr. Winchester Super Field under a 115gr. Montana Gold round nose = 1,135 fps with 35fps extreme spread. It meters well, is accurate, and has a mild report.

4.9gr. WSF under a 115 West Coast RN gives almost identical velocities but a little less accuracy.

4.9 WSF under a 124 gr. Remington or Winchester round nose gives about 1,080 fps with 45fps extreme spread.

These loads are from the Winchester manual and are well below published limits.

Chris