Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So why is CCP not catching on?

I would have thought that CCP is like THE division that embodies the spirit of IDPA, but at the next Tier 2 match I'm shooting there are fewer people signed up to shoot CCP than there are REV. Is CCP catching on in your area? Why do you think it wasn't better received?

Personally, shooting a 5" gun and hosing targets is a lot more fun to me so I "get it".

EDIT: Totally posted this in the wrong sub forum. I can't move it, can someone move it?

Edited by ArrDave

everyone is used to shooting their mouse fart loads out of their XDm 5.25's, Glock 34's and M&P Pro 9's, why would they want to shoot compacts and have to deal with all that additional recoil :D I mean they probably carry LCP's and BodyGuards anyway. (joking)

The last match i shot at my local club had 9 of the roughly 90 shooters shoot CCP, 3 shot rev, one shot BUG and the majority were in SSP/ESP

I'm signed up for a major next month in SSP.

I would have liked to shoot CCP, but didn't have a chance to shoot a CCP classifier prior. Hence SSP.

I think it will be interesting to see what the numbers look like by April or May of next year.

its a 4" race gun division so there... people are not going to put their baby Glocks against a 4" race gun 2011.

if it was a 3.5" barrel limit, 8 rd and SSP rule, it might be better. but just wait til next year, rules might change again.

there is something about a discipline that is run buy a business that sells 4" 1911....

Edited by Agent #1911

Jane,

I think CCP is going to become more popular. You're right about waiting to see the numbers next spring. Commonly used computer scoring systems haven't yet caught up to CCP, BUG, or NFC. When they do (would you please help! Your software is awesome.) I think more shooters will run these guns when they can see their scores properly displayed in their division at the club level... and when IDPA catches up at the Sanctioned Match level.

At the moment, IDPA has created new divisions and division splits (Revolver) but their scoring software lags behind.

If I shoot CCP (EX) or BUG (MA) or NFC (fun guns!) at my local club they have to stick my scores in some division with an askrist (?)

that gives no real explanation to the other shooters in that division.

One thing I have learned from a couple decades in this action game is: a shooter will shift guns and try a new one/division if they think they can beat the top dog in that division... they want to know where their skill level stands. If the scores don't credit that division the shooters tend to fall back into the divisions where the scores will show "who whupped who." It's the nature of the beast.

Chris,

Actually, my software has supported CCP since April (including shooting the Classifier to count in multiple divisions.)

Tell your ol' boys to get on the stick ;-)

I'm also distinguishing between REV types (and BUG types), while keeping them ranked together in the same division.

Cheers,

Jane

post-5765-0-92452300-1439661905_thumb.pn

Jane,

I have little influence with them ol' boys. I suspect they may not know where or how to update their scoring software... although I could be wrong.

But, what you have done would seem to work well. Maybe a NFC listing? I'm not complaining! I just shoot & run the squads... then I have a beer while I wait for the scoring guys to get their stuff together.

My software has supported NFC since the 2013 rules revision.

I did have to rewrite things to make BUG a "real" division. And added a separate "SIDE" division for shotgun side match, or whatever. (We sometimes rename it the "Cheatin' Scumbags" division and let USPSA Open guys shoot their toys there.)

Jane, I wish I knew how to tell my ol' boys how/where to update their software scoring system to get all of you improvements in. It would be a help. I would really appreciate it if you could provide me with info on that. A PM would work.

And, yes... I plan on being a "Cheatin' Scumbag" (I need a cool logo for my match shirts and am open for suggestions) and dabbling with my new 9mm Ported Performance Center S&W CORE/JPoint Reflex/USPSA Open gun at a local IDPA match on occasion... just for fun and practice trigger time. As a CSO I do have to explain my gun choice to my squad.... but OMG! it's so much fun and you should see all the -0s! And, the 2.5 pound trigger & the double taps with my 127 PF load!... OMG! It's fun.... but I do go to church as soon after the match as I can so I can get some redemption and beg for forgiveness. I even throw an extra $20 in the collection plate. Redemption ain't cheap :cheers:

Very few people want to shoot little bitty guns in competition. IDPA got dominated by a few people who hated the idea of an optics division. They lost their chance to attract some new shooters by doing that. Now USPSA. has filled that void with a carry optima division and IDPA will suffer because they ignored technology advancements and went for baby guns instead.

Thanks for the PM Jane. I forwarded it to my club MD (Flagler IDPA) and will hold it in file to send to any others that need it. And, not ALL in FL have it figured out (Ernie and Karl are particularly astute, but some others... 'not so much'). But, I will do my best to educate them and get them using your software.... because it simply is the best.

Shoot good at your next match and leave no cardboard survivors... all cardboard needs to die, and any steel that gets in the way should suffer the same fate. Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em."

Edited by GOF

The 10 round limit in SSP is stupid, the 8 round limit in CCP is 20% more stupid.

While I don't think 8 rounds in CCP makes sense, it should be 10 as well, 10 makes sense due to states with mag bans. And where would S&W Indoor Nationals be held if the capacity requirement went up?

Plus, in a sport where the largest stage is 18 shots, it's not that big a deal, really.

I will never buy into the argument that an across-the-board 10 round limit is needed to accommodate the very few states with capacity limits. People there can buy pre-ban mags or they can play the game at 10 rounds while everyone else plays at a different capacity.

USPSA and IPSC have effectively dealt with that very same problem worldwide for decades now without having to force everyone, everywhere to adhere to the lowest common denominator

But IDPA can't do anything even remotely close to what IPSC/USPSA does even if it makes perfect sense = fail

Edited by elguapo

The 8 round CCP mag limit means that you are shooting CDP stage strategies with a smaller 125 PF gun. On a 18 round stage you still have to make 2 reloads. 10 rounds would be more realistic, since most carry guns are in 9mm and hold that many. But, compact .45s don't.... Hmmm?

Does Wilson make .45 ACP CCP guns? Hmmm?

BTW my normal EDC is a M&P 9c (it's BUG and CCP legal). I carry it with a full-sized mag... and it still makes BUG & CCP box requirements. Sometimes, if I'm in the woods, I carry a G29 with a 15 shot mag.

Most compact guns will accept full size mags from the parent platform. 8 rounds in CCP is not realistic.

Edited by GOF

I will never buy into the argument that an across-the-board 10 round limit is needed to accommodate the very few states with capacity limits. People there can buy pre-ban mags or they can play the game at 10 rounds while everyone else plays at a different capacity.

USPSA and IPSC have effectively dealt with that very same problem worldwide for decades now without having to force everyone, everywhere to adhere to the lowest common denominator

But IDPA can't do anything even remotely close to what IPSC/USPSA does even if it makes perfect sense = fail

Stages are limited to 18 rounds. Self defense encounters over 18 rounds are more like combat than self defense. I think the 10 round limit keeps things interesting and means that you don't need to pick guns based on capacity. It would be kind of boring with no reloads.

Stages are limited to 18 rounds. Self defense encounters over 18 rounds are more like combat than self defense. I think the 10 round limit keeps things interesting and means that you don't need to pick guns based on capacity. It would be kind of boring with no reloads.

Did you just compare IDPA to the "real world"?

idi-amin-laughing.gif

Did you just compare IDPA to the "real world"?

idi-amin-laughing.gif

sad but true. I see alot of shooters join IDPA hoping to hone their self defense skills like its a Thunder Ranch training facility.

BTW my normal EDC is a M&P 9c (it's BUG and CCP legal). I carry it with a full-sized mag... and it still makes BUG & CCP box requirements.

How did you measure the grip? My X-grip sleeve alone is close to 1" extra..

Edited by BillR1

• 1 year later...

I like getting a chance to shoot my daily carry gun (XDs .45). It doesn't always make me feel good about my ability with it but I get some trigger time on it. I usually shoot it at almost every match and especially at Berryville since you can shoot 1 gun in the morning and one in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the division... shot a match with my carry gun (G29), though I had to get a different holster as AIWB is no joy... spent way too much time trying to find my brass (nobody picks up brass anymore?)... Looked at the rules, thought a 9mm commander would be a fun gun to shoot in CCP... Bought a RO Champion in Nov '16... now the 2017 v2 rules say I can't play CCP with it... It would seem that IDPA kicked me out of CCP.