Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Blaser aluminum cases

JD45

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I pulled apart my g19, and for contrast I pulled apart my g23. The g19 has probably had at least 1k to 2k rounds of reloaded aluminum cases through it. The g23 has had none. The inside of the g19 barrel shows no erosion of any kind. Aside from being a little dirty its in perfect condition. I understand that people have had issues before, but I really don't think its as cut and dry as reload aluminum cases and your barrel is soon to go LOL. Also I reload everything, I don't sort out anything, I just case gauge them when its all over and shoot. I have also never had a aluminum case split, lots of brass ones have but no aluminum that I have noticed. I will keep reloading aluminum, but that's just me, we all have to make and live with our own choices, but for the record so far aluminum in 9mm FOR ME is a win. :)

Disclaimer no animals were harmed during filming :-P

Good luck!

LOL thanks......

Just fyi I searched around the internet and found tons and tons of threads on don't reload aluminum. What I didn't find was a single picture of an eroded barrel or chamber caused by an aluminum reload. I am willing to admit I am no google wizard, but generally what I have found is one person posts something, then it gets re-posted and re-posted and soon it becomes fact somehow :-P

I will concede to the possibility that I may have missed the pictures or mountains of evidence, perhaps I did. I am not trying to be negative, I'm not trying to be an ass....... or burst anyone's balloon. But jump on the bandwagon just because people speculate its true, or heard its true, or have a friend who had trouble, or a friend's aunts brother's nephew had it happen.......... That's for sheeple, or for guys who wear socks with sandals, or sandals at anytime for that matter. LOL

Now I'm sure the next post will be some study done by the ARMY and some highfalutin agency that proves it without a doubt, and I will have to eat my words, but what the hell it wont be the first time nor the last HAHAHA.

Its Friday and I hope everyone has a good weekend, even us mad few who reload aluminum.

Also one picture from one person with with an eroded barrel isn't proof positive of anything........ Just saying, I know how people like to spread miles of fact on inches of data

It's funny, reloading is about how to do things in a safe manner. You have been told for various reasons that reloading aluminum is not safe. Yet all you worry about is weather it erodes a chamber or not. That kind of thinking will lead to an accident.

I am not worried about anything, I have shot thousands of rounds of aluminum cased reloads without a single issue. About 2k though my g19 alone. People keep posting that it erodes your chamber, I don't see that at all. I am just curious where the proof to that is since it seems to be happening so much. Maybe its there, but I haven't seen it. Also reloading is about whatever you want it to be about, its different for everyone. Yes safety is normally a priority, but doing something simply because people keep passing it along until everyone believes it to be true isn't safety. LOL

Just FYI Glockinator, you should never run reloads in your glock, it causes a kaboom every single time, just google it, the internet is full of threads telling you not to. Those darn unsupported chambers will get you every single time. Now that I have told you, I think you should never do that again. Before you thank me, you are very welcome :-P

Edited by DefiantMenace

Just because you got away with it once does not mean it is safe. Me I have 35 years of reloading experience working with wildcat cartridges and pushing things to a safe limit. I still choose to not use aluminum. Mainly because of the material properties it's just not worth the risk. I know how brass reacts, aluminum does not react that way and in a lot of ways is weaker. Who cares of it erodes a chamber or not that is a secondary symptom of a larger problem. One poster showed video of failures upon firing, that lone is a good enough reason to avoid the practice even if it does not make marks in the barrel.

I have seen folks who thought something worked once blow up a gun and wondered why. Luckily the friends who did it walked away with small injuries. It just proves some folks just have to learn from the school of hard knocks. I am afraid you my friend are on that path. It doesn't matter if you get your knickers in a knot or not the process is designed for the more forgiving material properties of brass not aluminum and in the long run it's not a good idea.

Ok so you posted a couple pictures...........................and???? LOL

No story? No cause? Just some random pics?

No data on round count, load, oal, powder type, situation, picture of the case or cases that caused this?

No pictures before this? leading to this?

No explanation on why and how you let it get to that point?

Are you saying those last two rounds in the video you posted did this, or are you are just posting some random pics with a silly line like don't expect sympathy to act all clever. Because my BS meter is in the red right now.

I noticed that after a match when I had several of those extra flashy rounds with split aluminum cases. I went through a few hundred of them before I noticed the damage in the chamber because I don't clean it all that often unless I've got a bigger match.

Round count is probably 20k through a Glock 34, almost all of them my own reloads. Powders range from WST to Red Dot, more recently Bullseye. The aluminum cases started being used in matches about a year ago and I never noticed any damage in there until after using the aluminum cases. I didn't bother taking pictures of the split cases, because I didn't expect to have to defend myself online :yawn:

Do what you want with the information, I don't care if you blow your gun up or not at this point.

Edited by AJE

I noticed that after a match when I had several of those extra flashy rounds with split aluminum cases. I went through a few hundred of them before I noticed the damage in the chamber because I don't clean it all that often unless I've got a bigger match.

Round count is probably 20k through a Glock 34, almost all of them my own reloads. Powders range from WST to Red Dot, more recently Bullseye. The aluminum cases started being used in matches about a year ago and I never noticed any damage in there until after using the aluminum cases. I didn't bother taking pictures of the split cases, because I didn't expect to have to defend myself online :yawn:

Do what you want with the information, I don't care if you blow your gun up or not at this point.

I find it very hard to believe you chose to post that video with a couple flashes that showed and proved nothing when you had these pictures the whole time that supposedly were caused by reloading aluminum. Not trying to be an ass#ole but I don't believe you. Gotta call BS on this one.

Also my life is not pinion to you caring about myself or my weaponry, so let me worry about that and you stick to coming up with these delightful stories.

If you look back to my first post I said I'd take the pictures when I cleaned it. I have a local match tomorrow and I took the pictures right before I posted them.

If it makes you happy, good for you, keep loading them. I am now finished with them.

If you want to pick through my trash, there are a few hundred of them in there.

Edited by AJE

I don't buy it.

I just pulled my g19 apart again and inspected the chamber under magnification and there is literally not a single sign of erosion anywhere. I have an easy 20k of mix brass/aluminum through mine(mostly brass) so its not like my barrel is new. It seems improbable that one should deteriorate so fast and so aggressively whilst the other shows no signs of deterioration whatsoever.

I don't know the history of that barrel, but I don't think it's failure had anything to do with the case type being solely aluminum. Who knows i might be wrong, but the numbers just are not adding up here. I have ran a fair amount of aluminum through my PPQ and SIG P320 as well and nothing. Nothing at all. Zero. Zip.

I will keep checking and report back if I see any change in mine, however I am standing fast with my original assessment of BS.

Also for you to have noticed this last time means it wasn't there the previous time( or at least not to that extent). So it would have to mean it happened very quickly and very aggressively. That again just doesn't seem to be quite right when you consider i have ZERO erosion. Thanks for the offer to dig through your trash, however I think that's what I am doing right now and I have had quite enough. :-P

It does happen very quickly and aggressively. One rupture is capable of causing damage.

The dry climate you live in is to your advantage. That you have not had problems is good. Hopefully you never will.

However, you seem to feel that because you have not experienced such a problem, such problems do not exist.

I have seen numerous guns damaged from Blazer case ruptures, as mentioned earlier. Do and believe as you please, but do not belittle others experiences.

Guy

The match video I posted was before the batch of particularly flashy loads. I'm not sure if I had some aluminium cases that had already been reloaded or what, but damn near every one of them split in the 100 some rounds. The few matches before that I would notice it every once in awhile.

I did use some aluminum .45 and never noticed any flash coming out of the ejection port in that gun, but there is some light erosion in that chamber.

The fact that you're so quick to wave the BS flag to defend what you want to defend says more about you than it does me. Good luck in your aluminum cased endeavors.

The match video I posted was before the batch of particularly flashy loads. I'm not sure if I had some aluminium cases that had already been reloaded or what, but damn near every one of them split in the 100 some rounds. The few matches before that I would notice it every once in awhile.

I did use some aluminum .45 and never noticed any flash coming out of the ejection port in that gun, but there is some light erosion in that chamber.

The fact that you're so quick to wave the BS flag to defend what you want to defend says more about you than it does me. Good luck in your aluminum cased endeavors.

LOL I just don't believe that the casing was the problem here, I am in defense of nothing. I have no feelings on you as a person. I also don't care about your thoughts on me, I was just curious about reloading aluminum cases and the probability of chamber damage. The probability at this juncture seems very small, if existent at all. Like I said I will report back if I encounter any damage, I don't mind being wrong, wont be the first time. That said happy shooting to us both, and thanks for the information you provided.

:)

Just some food for thought, and this could be totally wrong. If we are both reloading the same aluminum cases and we are both shooting large amounts of them. I am noticing zero erosion across multiple platforms and you are noticing erosion across at least two. It might be possible that you have another problem. If it was solely aluminum you would expect for me to have at least some erosion, especially when at least one of our weapons is from the same manufacturer. Just something to think about, I mean if aluminum was 100% the culprit you would expect at least one of my guns to symptomatic. If aluminum plus chamber equals catastrophe there, it should to some degree here as well.

There is a third factor, I may just be completely schnockered on vodka, grape juice and the directors cut of blade runner. hahaha

Edited by DefiantMenace

Now I'm sure the next post will be some study done by the ARMY and some highfalutin agency that proves it without a doubt, and I will have to eat my words, but what the hell it wont be the first time nor the last HAHAHA.

Its Friday and I hope everyone has a good weekend, even us mad few who reload aluminum.

Here is an Army study: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/750379.pdf

Apparently the problem with aluminum is that it can ignite when it fails. This causes the chamber erosion that some people are seeing.

20mmburnthrough.jpg

Here is an Army study: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/750379.pdf

Apparently the problem with aluminum is that it can ignite when it fails. This causes the chamber erosion that some people are seeing.

20mmburnthrough.jpg

Did you actually read this study?

AJE, thanks for sharing your experience with the aluminum cases. I'm not sure why dm thinks you are making it up. Fact is you never stated that aluminum brass = instant death for all. Just shared your own experience and your own opinion. For some reason dm feels that if his existence doesn't 100% match yours then you must be lying. I'm not sure I follow that line of reason.

AJE, thanks for sharing your experience with the aluminum cases. I'm not sure why dm thinks you are making it up. Fact is you never stated that aluminum brass = instant death for all. Just shared your own experience and your own opinion. For some reason dm feels that if his existence doesn't 100% match yours then you must be lying. I'm not sure I follow that line of reason.

You're welcome.