Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Arms or STI DVC Open

Acolytefyj

This thread looks so familiar. I think if you do a search you may find an existing thread on this very subject?

My older Cheely (the C in CK arms) 9major open gun just runs and runs. My new one is built on a CK frame with a lot of CK parts, especially the steel grip. I ran it at the Michigan sectional this week and it was perfect.

I have a 9mm Open gun built by Matt and it has been great. Definitely recommend his guns.

I also have a buddy that got a CK 9mm Open gun a few months back and it has run perfectly.

I've never shot the DVC so can't speak to that, but if I bought another Open or Limited gun it will likely be from CK or Cheely directly.

Go with the CK Arms. The fit, finish, and quality of parts that CK puts in their guns is better. CK'S customers service can't be beat. I purchased their Thunder model in 38 sc 3 weeks ago, shot 1000 rounds through it. The Aftec would not hold adjustment. Sent it in on Monday and had it back on Thursday. I have owned a factory STI and their parts and fit are no where near CK'S.

Hello: Pick the one you like the look of best. It will not be your last open gun if you stick with the sport. You will find what you like in a gun and make the changes along the way. The new STI guns are fit a lot better than they were a couple of years ago. Matt Cheely makes some nice guns as well. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Pick the one you like the look of best. It will not be your last open gun if you stick with the sport. You will find what you like in a gun and make the changes along the way. The new STI guns are fit a lot better than they were a couple of years ago. Matt Cheely makes some nice guns as well. Thanks, Eric

I don't think so, STI just returned my Trubor to me last month. the fitting is very loose. 0.009" up and down, 0.024" left and right

Just don't buy STI factory guns, I bought my brand new Trubor 38 super, it came with loose slide to frame fit and crooked scope mount, I sent it back to STI, they fixed it for THREE MONTH. When the gun finally came back to me, it has even looser fitting.

Just the opposite for me and several guys I know

Buy shoot the dog out of them out of the box

Do minor changes that you want , need or desire

BUT

Custom/ semi-custom guns are usually very nice and cool

"ter" sorry for your troubles with STI

CK's that I have seen are as good as any and better than many..... But I have 2 Trojans ( 9 mm & 38 Super), Rangemaster, Targetmaster, Edge and Trubore along with a couple of custom STI and one SVI. I agree with aircooledracer, if you stick with the sport this will not be your last open gun !

This thread looks so familiar. I think if you do a search you may find an existing thread on this very subject?

My older Cheely (the C in CK arms) 9major open gun just runs and runs. My new one is built on a CK frame with a lot of CK parts, especially the steel grip. I ran it at the Michigan sectional this week and it was perfect.

I found the other one. Thanks.

Go with the CK Arms. The fit, finish, and quality of parts that CK puts in their guns is better. CK'S customers service can't be beat. I purchased their Thunder model in 38 sc 3 weeks ago, shot 1000 rounds through it. The Aftec would not hold adjustment. Sent it in on Monday and had it back on Thursday. I have owned a factory STI and their parts and fit are no where near CK'S.

Thanks for your information!

I actually like the look of both. I can get the DVC open 800 dollars cheaper than the CK arms, and that's my main struggle. If it's the same price, I'll go for the ck arms based on everyone's suggestion.

I have a CK Arms Open Gun and it has been flawless over the 800 rounds I have shot at this point. I also have a Freedom Gunworks Open Gun and there is very little if any difference between the two. I would go with the CK Arms Open Gun.

I purchased an STI Grand Master about one year ago to replace my two 20 year old STI custom built guns. The barrels wore out after only 20 years. Three different "Custom" gunsmiths could not make them run reliably with new barrels.

My GM now at 20,000+ rounds runs perfect. I don't remember any malfunctions. No mag tuning no gun tuning, once you get the load correct it just runs.

I purchased an STI Grand Master about one year ago to replace my two 20 year old STI custom built guns. The barrels wore out after only 20 years. Three different "Custom" gunsmiths could not make them run reliably with new barrels.

My GM now at 20,000+ rounds runs perfect. I don't remember any malfunctions. No mag tuning no gun tuning, once you get the load correct it just runs.

Sheesh! Who would think that they would only last for a lousy 20 years, I hope you didn't throw more money into them !