Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power for Carry Optics

I was getting the itch to change out of production when the new Carry Optics division was announced so now I am looking to jump to CO. I've been feeling out the GP platform and I am probably 80% sold on switching to it as well.

Question: Optic on a Grand Power - how?

Starting with the K100, and moving to the X-Cal when it's stateside again, are there any options for mounting a red dot? I searched for options for Grand Power, the STI GP6, and have contacted a few places but I haven't heard anything concrete back yet. Is the GP rear sight cut the same as any other pistol which might have a mounting plate available? Companies out there that will mill the slide for the mount?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Springer Precision, I'm sure they will have a dovetail mount soon if they don't already.

I checked in with them. They said they would be offering one.

Dovetail is the best way to go as long it has Provisional status. Once it's permanent milling is the way to go as it gets the dot much lower

This should fit the X-Cal I think: http://www.customguns.co.uk/shop-page/4580285375/grand-power-k22-xtrim-minisight-mount/9700063

EDIT: If you look at the pics around the web, it mounts the sight flush to the frame, very low.

Will it fit and is it robust enough for the X-cal? There's a world of difference between rimfire and center fire.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the EGW mount from Red Hill Training and found out that it wouldn't work with the DeltaPoint I bought. The screws to mount the optic that come with the DeltaPoint are the wrong thread spec for the mount, and the mount screws are too short for the DeltaPoint. On top of that I really didn't trust the slotted windage screw to hold the mount on without stripping out the slot from torque.

After a pile of research I figured out the Eliason sight is threaded 6-64 and the EGW mount is threaded 6-32. I bought some 3/8" screws for the optic mount and they are perfect. I also found a Torx 6-64 bolt from a knife company to get the mount secured on the gun. I had to turn down the head a bit, but got it to fit. Works much better than the slotted screw.

Got the optic mounted and zeroed without much drama. Going to loctite and retorque everything later and we will see how it holds up.

IMG_20150820_1903372.jpg

Edited by JRM83

Put around 600 rounds down the pipe with the optic mounted. No loss of zero so far and the mount is holding tight. I am a bit concerned about the screws securing the optic to the mount, but after removing and replacing the optic with no loss of zero its not a big deal if they come loose. Torque em down and drive on.

In terms of shooting I like the setup a lot. I have heard a lot of people complain that it's slower to pick up the dot and track during rapid fire but that's just not been my experience. That long double action off the draw is perfect for the dot. As you draw you can start the double action pull as you push the gun onto target and finish as the dot settles in. My draw times are about the same as before, but far more consistent hits. In rapid fire the dot tracks up and down as long as your grip is good.

Loving it so far, time will tell how it shakes out in the long run.

as much as i want to play i must learn better sight focus this winter!

Target focus using a dot is more fun

Strongly agree. So far so good shooting this as my carry optics rig. The x-cal was already more accurate than my Shadow. Add the dot into the mix and it's easy to get good hits at pretty much any distance at speed.

What ammo were you running in both the X cal and shadow, My x Cal should be in today or tomorrow, so I''ll be looking for a good load for it... and "how" accurate.?

I use 135 RN from Bayou with 3.3gr of TG and an OAL of 1.120"

What ammo were you running in both the X cal and shadow, My x Cal should be in today or tomorrow, so I''ll be looking for a good load for it... and "how" accurate.?

I don't have access to a ransom rest so any claims of accuracy by me aren't referring to the mechanical accuracy of the gun, but how accurate I am with it (this includes variables such as grip, sights, etc). Now that I think about it, I haven't benched my X-Cal except the first time I took it out to zero the irons. I zeroed the optic shooting standing offhand. My metric for accuracy is how small a target can I hit consistently at distance. Shooting headshots (A/B zones) at ~22 yards standing offhand with my shadow I generally made 3/5 or 4/5 hits. My X-Cal went 10/10 with irons the only time I shot that exercise with the irons on. With the dot today I did a little comparison between Vectan A1 and N320 shooting 5 headshots at ~22 yards (standing offhand again). Two five round groups with the Vectan load measured 2.8" each. I think with a rest I could have shot it a bit tighter, my grip was definitely damaging the vertical dispersion.

IMG_20150826_1323402.jpg

IMG_20150826_152055.jpg

Loads I have tried, all chrono data through the Shadow:

135gr BB&B with 3.45gr N320 at 1.120 (Chrono at 130 PF)

147 BB&B with 3.0gr N320 at 1.120 (Chrono at 128 PF)

147 Acme with 3.2gr N320 at 1.120 (Chrono at 134 PF)

147 Acme with 3.1gr Vectan A1 at 1.120 (Chrono at 130 PF)

So far Vectan A1 has been the most accurate powder out of my Shadow. I have a few other loads I haven't tried through the X-Cal yet so I can't say if it will be the most accurate there. So far it is better than N320 by a fair margin.

• 3 weeks later...