Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which holster for Elite Limited?

Red1Alpha

I just (like, last night) shot my first match with my new Limited and holster for it. I'd been using a Match with a Blade-Tech holster (which I liked fine), but wanted to play with a thumb-rest which meant going with an true "race" holster for the Limited. I actually asked this question a few weeks ago. I ended up going with the DAA holster (magnetic). So far, I'm pretty pleased with it. Re-holstering takes a little more attention than the bladetech (where you basically just dropped it in any old way), but so far I like it a lot. I kept the same DAA Racer (not Race Master) pouches, which seem to do what mag pouches are supposed to do.

I'm using the safariland 014. I haven't tried any other race holster, so I don't have any comparisons. I do feel like the safariland holds my elite limited securely. My biggest concern/distraction that would drive me crazy is the feeling that my pistol could easily fall out of the holster. The one drawback for the 014, is that it only adjusts down to a 5" barrel, so the limited elite does not fit down flush on the muzzle holder. You have to cut one of the side adjustment legs to get it to adjust down properly.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried that DAA Racemaster Magnetic holster and hated it. It requires you to draw almost directly straight up for it to unlock correctly and will hang up if you don't.

Ghost pouches are great and I have heard that the ghost holster works well also.

I would agree with the above. I have the race master and have learned the hard way to draw perfectly straight up or risk it binding. I still run it as if you practice it will prove to be a very fast holster.

Edited by eern

I recently moved to the DAA Race Master holster (magnetic). I had to fiddle with the angle on it a bit to get it to work with my natural/ingrained draw angle. You have to draw it "straight up" relative to the holster. So if your draw stroke is not perfectly vertical, having the holster perfectly vertical can cause binding. So adjust it so that the holster is aligned to your draw stroke, and the binding doesn't happen.

Only complaints: Sometimes re-holstering takes a couple of passes at it. And you REALLY have to tighten the adjustment screws hard to avoid getting wobble/play in it.