Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 hammer hitting frame

bkfranklin22

I just got a 929 and I have about 100 rounds through it. So far no issues but I did notice today that it seems like the hammer has been striking the side of the hammer channel a little bit and has actually slightly rolled the metal out on the frame. It may have come like this and I just not noticed it because there doesn't seem to be any rubbing marks on the hammer itself nor has the gun had any issues firing. I just want to know if this is normal or something I should be worried about. I have attached a couple of pictures.

post-60702-0-63834700-1438658650_thumb.j

post-60702-0-48925900-1438658664_thumb.j

When my 627 was new I noticed exactly the same thing. If I took a photo of mine you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. Mine however rolled a small piece of metal into a ball at the end of the channel that sat right to the side of the firing pin. That little ball put a small mark into the face of the hammer at the right edge. It was obvious the hammer didn't dig out the channel.

I was having an occasional misfire problem until I noticed the little ball and flicked it out. Now I have the groove ... and a small mark on my Apex hammer but all is well.

Have you had the side plate off?

I've seen this happen when someone dry fires to test the action with the side plate removed. The hammer tends to come up on the stud and hit the frame causing exactly what you show. Possible it happened at the factory too I suppose. A few of my guns have them but they're self inflicted as far as I know.

I have had the side plate off mine ... but I wouldn't dry fire with any significant mainspring tension applied while the plate was off (no pin support).

I can see the hammer walking out on the pin ... and that makes sense but I would think that would beat the face/edge and not dig a groove. Neither my original hammer or the Apex has any mark on the side of the hammer ... only on the face. Since the mark is actually on the frame I though it might have been a machining tool that rubbed that area.

I never noticed it on mine until I pulled the firing pin to change the spring.

bk's gun looks fairly unmolested ... perhaps he hasn't has his open at all yet (with just 100 rounds).

Well I guess you live and learn. Oh well it's my first revolver and it just gives it character. Just today I took the side plate off to change the firing pin to an extended one. Before I put it back together I yelled at the wife "want to see what the inside of a revolver looks like!" Naturally I wanted to show her how it worked so I dry fired it twice with the side plate off. It was shortly after this that I noticed the ding and posted on here. I assume it won't affect anything right?

Wow ... gotta be then ... just get any trash out of there (if any) and go on. Mine has 5K+ rounds ... (heaven knows how many dryfires) ... and no misfires yet (but I had to put the factory firing pin back in ... left the apex spring).

Mine is like that too. I never took the slide plate off but it hits in the same spot every time I pull the trigger. Right now its out getting work done to It and I mentioned the hammer hitting the frame. Hopefully when I get it back that will have been addressed.

Then I'm sure Mark at Pinnacle will fix it when he does the trigger job and deburs the hammer. I dont think he would return my 929 without being able to reliable ignite federal primers.

Power customs sells shims for the hammer pin in .001" and .002" that can address this.

The hammer should not be hitting the frame, it's robbing all energy and will cause light strikes

Edited by Shmella

It look to me like the damage was done by dry-firing with the sideplate off.

If the hammer is dragging on the frame when it falls, the correct fix is to straighten the hammer stud. This is done with a lead babbitt. Yes, you can break off the hammer stud while doing this.

I have had the side plate off mine ... but I wouldn't dry fire with any significant mainspring tension applied while the plate was off (no pin support).

I don't know if a bent stud is your issue, but the above bears repeating - dry firing with full mainspring tension is bad juju, and can result in a bent hammer stud. Even before removing the sideplate, it's best to back out the strain screw to remove most of the mainspring tension.

I just got a 929 and I have about 100 rounds through it. So far no issues but I did notice today that it seems like the hammer has been striking the side of the hammer channel a little bit and has actually slightly rolled the metal out on the frame. It may have come like this and I just not noticed it because there doesn't seem to be any rubbing marks on the hammer itself nor has the gun had any issues firing. I just want to know if this is normal or something I should be worried about. I have attached a couple of pictures.

I don't know if "normal" is a good word to use, but it's one of the common defects I see on many new SW guns. Sometimes it just takes removing a shade of material off the inside edge.

Edited by bountyhunter

First off thanks to everyone for their awesome help and advice, it is much appreciated. Ok now that everything is back in working order. My hammer is slightly rubbing the right side of the frame. There is a faint rub line on the sideplate where you can tell the hammer is being slightly pulled to the right. When feeling it manually there is zero drag or rubbing. I noticed the hammer is perfect centered once the pressure of the trigger is taken off of it and it slightly tilts to the right once the pressure is reapplied from the trigger.

First off thanks to everyone for their awesome help and advice, it is much appreciated. Ok now that everything is back in working order. My hammer is slightly rubbing the right side of the frame. There is a faint rub line on the sideplate where you can tell the hammer is being slightly pulled to the right. When feeling it manually there is zero drag or rubbing. I noticed the hammer is perfect centered once the pressure of the trigger is taken off of it and it slightly tilts to the right once the pressure is reapplied from the trigger.

Is the sideplate fitted properly? I see some where the sideplate doesn't align just right and the edge of the sideplate intrudes a little to the left.

Anyway, slight rubbing isn't going to keep it from shooting.

After further investigation and some more firing the rubbing is becoming more noticeable and I believe there is actually some defect from the factory. When I first got the revolver I had a lot of light primer strikes but I just figured it needed broken in and it was my reloads. After shooting it more the light primer strikes went away. I now believe the light primer strikes were due to the frame strikes and after a while it rolled the metal out of the way and allowed the hammer to rub less. I've sent S&W an email.

Well S&W agreed that it needed to be fixed so it is headed their way now. It's nice not having to pay anything. It might be a while before I get it back though. I was informed they just got back from a 2 week shutdown.