Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So you want to build a CZ Open gun?

kneelingatlas

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice topic!

I can't believe I traded my Witness open for 350$ because I thought the open class was dead.

It started as a regular Witness in .38 super, then I put the barrel/comp that was available at those ancient times at Brownells, installed SA trigger, competition hammer & sear, extended safety, the frame was nicely checkered and pretty comfortable and I won may many trophies with that piece, it was 100% reliable quite a shooter. It was forgotten in my vault for 20 years or so and when I relocated to GA and made kind of a comeback to shooting, I couldn't hook up with USPSA and gave it in trade in. I can't believe I did that. :( Now I'm looking for an open gun and must pay 10x that amount.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 9.04.41 AM.png

22 hours ago, LuiggiSpeed said:

Nice topic!

I can't believe I traded my Witness open for 350$ because I thought the open class was dead.

It started as a regular Witness in .38 super, then I put the barrel/comp that was available at those ancient times at Brownells, installed SA trigger, competition hammer & sear, extended safety, the frame was nicely checkered and pretty comfortable and I won may many trophies with that piece, it was 100% reliable quite a shooter. It was forgotten in my vault for 20 years or so and when I relocated to GA and made kind of a comeback to shooting, I couldn't hook up with USPSA and gave it in trade in. I can't believe I did that. :( Now I'm looking for an open gun and must pay 10x that amount.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 9.04.41 AM.png

You didn't happen to trade it to adventure outdoors did you? If so, it ended up with me for a short while.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, yigal said:

u cut  metal  from  front  of the  lower lug . (there is other ways  without  touching  this area.)

This particular upper has a TS barrel and SP01 slide which I fit to a 75SA frame, hence the cut on the front of the lower lug, you say you have another way?  Pray tell.

30 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

This particular upper has a TS barrel and SP01 slide which I fit to a 75SA frame, hence the cut on the front of the lower lug, you say you have another way?  Pray tell.

yes .that exactly what i thought . i done this few years ago on shadow 1 .

i  changed the guide rod  only  and it seats 3mm  forward like on ts  and it worked 100% perfectly. i sold this gun a year ago.

Edited by yigal

1 hour ago, Ludde said:

Atlas have you also rounded of the underside of the outside chamber part of the barrel? Do you have enough contact on the frame or is it needed at all?

The flats only touch the frame when the slide is out of battery, so I don't think they really do much, the new Bull Shadow barrel is modified in the same way:

GA-Images_PEK0027.thumb.jpg.c144f53ac20d59908a1459453ffcd71f.jpg

11 minutes ago, jbinpa59 said:

Atlas

Are the cone tapers the same on the chechmate comp and the bull barrels?

Ie: would the comp seat up properly in the bull slide?

I haven't seen a Bull Shadow in person so I can't be sure, but I would be surprised if they were the same size.  The size of the Czechmate cone is dictated by the opening in a TS slide when you cut a half inch off it, the Bull Shadow is and entirely new, purpose made slide by CZC, any similarities would be coincidental.

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a whole bunch of parts sitting around which I bought with big plans, then got distracted by this, that or the other.  This shorty top end is one of those, but the other night I was inspired to pick it up again with one of my new comps inspired by Eric Davis (aircooled6racer).

IMG_20180415_173159915-2672x1503.thumb.jpg.631e7088fa35f20248d6612deb2fe49f.jpg

It's a 75SA slide with a half inch cut off, a 0.200" stroke, Czechmate reverse plug so it can run a full sized recoil spring and a cone comp on an SP01 barrel.

21 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I have a whole bunch of parts sitting around which I bought with big plans, then got distracted by this, that or the other.  This shorty top end is one of those, but the other night I was inspired to pick it up again with one of my new comps inspired by Eric Davis (aircooled6racer).

IMG_20180415_173159915-2672x1503.thumb.jpg.631e7088fa35f20248d6612deb2fe49f.jpg

It's a 75SA slide with a half inch cut off, a 0.200" stroke, Czechmate reverse plug so it can run a full sized recoil spring and a cone comp on an SP01 barrel.

Do you have any top ends laying around for sale?  I'm thinking of drilling/tapping my other TS frame to be a backup open gun.  Just don't want to use the SP01 upper from my backup prod gun.  Cajun trigger is too good and cutting up the slide will make it not legal.

11 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Do you have any top ends laying around for sale?  I'm thinking of drilling/tapping my other TS frame to be a backup open gun.  Just don't want to use the SP01 upper from my backup prod gun.  Cajun trigger is too good and cutting up the slide will make it not legal.

I may have a few :ph34r:

Does your TS have a full dust cover?  Thinking of something like this?

21056113_1803628006318790_8240167560450930387_o.thumb.jpg.7a157b4e4490127d392a44075fb50512.jpg

• 4 months later...

I have a Shadow 2 that I plan to build a backup Open gun out of, I could sell it and get me a cheaper S1 instead but I kind of like it plus I have lots of spares.

Anyway, I have been searching the forums for info about how to best fit a compensator to the std barrel but not been able to find much. The paperwork and money involved keeps me from buying a longer barrel so I need to figure out a way to use the original one.

Removing the bushing and make a cone comp seems like an option, is that possible with the short barrel? Will the slide wear out if run without a barrel bushing or is it ok as long as the comp cone has a smooth surface and transition?

Using a custom guide rod to lock the comp in place seems like a good way of doing it, perhaps in addition with a locking screw that tightens the comp to the treads.

I have never built a CZ open gun before so any help is greatly appreciated, I have a full machine shop so making a custom comp,  guide rod etc is no problem.

Best regards

/Anders Johansson - Sweden