Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't I get notified?

I posted this a few weeks back under a different subsection on this board. No one responded and I thought that I would try again here.

I have signed up to be notified if anyone that responds to any of my threads. Sometimes this happens but most of the time it doesn't. I know if two or three people respond to that thread you should only get one email. That's OK with me.

What I am referring to is posting on a thread and many people post after me and I don't even get an email. I usually find out later if at all when I just visit the thread again. I have always signed up for various boards this way and haven't had a problem with any other site.

Does anyone think that this is a computer settings issue on my end? I am open to any ideas - thanks.

Rick

It works fine for me all the time and I never miss any notifications. Are you both making sure that the E-mail Notification option is checked when adding a reply to a thread, or starting a new topic?

--

Regards,

Hmmm, I got my notice when you posted the reply Zak. Though they usually don’t get sent until about 15-20 minutes after the new post has been made.

I just checked all my forum prefs and the same setting is checked to automatically subscribe and it works fine for me. Either the board programming is wonky on your account only, or your e-mail filters are mis-behaving because it has always worked 100% for me.

--

Regards,

Hmmm again, I just got my notice that you had replied.

Are you sure the box is checked when you add a new reply to a thread you aren’t already (supposedly) subscribed to.

Or maybe your e-mail address is misspelled in the forum control panel. I did that when I first registered and it took a little while for me to wise up ;-)

--

Regards,

Strange stuff in that the first couple responses to this thread I did not get any notification, but the one that Zak posted at 3:33 pm (site time) I did get notified. So Zak posted, then George, then Zak, then George and then when Zak posted again was the first time that I got a notification.

Like I said it is really intermittent. I don't click on anything on the thread itself, but rather did my set up to enable e mail responses to all threads that I post on. Strange stuff.

Rick

Yes, my email address is correct. If it were wrong, I would get zero notifications, not 5% of them. I have gone to threads I have failed to get notifications for, hit thread options -> subscribe, and it says error, already subscribed. Something is clearly broken, and it's not just me.

-z

That still doesn't explain why threads I've hit "subscribe" on do not email me..

Hi Zak,

Once again, I got a notice that you had replied within 20 minutes of your post (both your posts only generated one e-mail).

Something screwy here. It has always worked perfectly for me, both with auto-subscribe set and checking the option manually for each topic.

You should drop Brian a line and ask him to submit a ticket on this to IB tech support.

--

Regards,

I'm getting notified almost instantly of these new posts. George if it takes 20 minutes, go into your e mail program and select send and recieve every minute. Under Outlook express you hit "tools" at the top and then select "options" it is then under the "General" tab. Simple to do and you will get notified quicker.

On this thread when you hit reply Zak, does it say "You are currently receiving email notification of replies" under post options? I see that some of my threads that I post on say this and others don't even though I set the preference to subscribe to all threads. Maybe I need to manually subscribe to the ones that I didn't start. I don't know.

Zak, you might want to check your email settings on your firewall or security program. I'm just guessing here.

Rick

This thread is fixed for me now, since I did a full "add reply" and not just a "fast reply."

I just subscribed to another thread to determine if that's working or not.

Over the last few months, I distinctly remember going to a thread I thought I had subscribed to, seeing many new posts in it, and then hitting subscribe again to make sure, and then it saying error, already subscribed.

Again, there are no problems on my server's end. When I fail to get notifications, the BE server never attempts a SMTP connection to my box.

-z

ETA: IMO, it is TOTALLY BROKEN that a "fast reply" does not subscribe you if you have auto-sub set in your preferences.

George if it takes 20 minutes, go into your e mail program and select send and receive every minute

I don’t auto-receive my e-mail purposely and the delay is definitely at the Forum end. If I check the Forums for new posts manually and check the time the last post was made and then check the timestamp on my e-mail notice when it comes in, it is always 10-15 minutes different. It is not my SMTP server either. There is a definite lag on Forum email notices.

--

Regards,

The delay George isn't with this server since I really get them within a minute or two. I heard my email notify me and I finished the task at hand and then read your email and responded above. I did all of that within 3 minutes. If it isn't your email, it might be your server, but Brians' is FAST to notify if I get notified at all.

Nah, it ain’t at my end. Endless testing and the fact that I run my own mail server tells me so.

I occasionally get them within a few minutes, but more often than not, it’s closer to 10 minutes.

The timestamp on your last reply is 2:37pm, the timestamp on my e-mail header at the moment it left the Forum sendmail daemon was 14:46.26 (2:46.26PM). It was processed by the Forum sendmail 9 minutes after your post. It took less than 1 minute for it to get to my POP server from the Forums SMTP server.

--

Regards,

I didn't get notified on this one, I was just browsing again. This is what I was speaking to before George:

George Posted: Mar 15 2005, 02:31 PM

Clay1 Posted: Mar 15 2005, 02:34 PM

Those were cut and paste from the above couple of posts. I recieved the notification that you had responded and finished up 30 or 40 seconds worth of work, then read your post and wrote my return all in 3 minutes. They come to me right away, but no response on your last one - interesting.