Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Malfunction Question

MedicAJ

Having the same problem. Will the Wolff extra power action spring for the Benelli drop in fit?

Yes - I just tried it. Bolt retraction is noticeably stiffer. The gun still cycles 100% with WalMart Federal bulk pack birdshot when held normally in the shoulder. I did also do a worst-case "limp wristing" test, shooting the gun OFF the shoulder; the gun still cycled and fired fine, but sometimes would not lock open on empty... I don't foresee this as being a problem, and even this should resolve as the spring takes a set.

As well as improving bolt closure/feeding, I am hoping this heavier action spring will reduce battering of the gun with hotter (high brass) loads. I am going to change out the action springs in all my guns for the Wolff version, even though the others run 100% with the factory spring.

Here is a photo; top = lightly used factory spring, middle = brand new factory spring, bottom = Wolff XP Benelli spring

VMT%20Recoil%20Springs%20lightly%20used%

How did you get the 'cap' off of the action spring tube? I tried for about an hour and I couldn't get mine to loosen.

Having the same problem. Will the Wolff extra power action spring for the Benelli drop in fit?

Yes - I just tried it. Bolt retraction is noticeably stiffer. The gun still cycles 100% with WalMart Federal bulk pack birdshot when held normally in the shoulder. I did also do a worst-case "limp wristing" test, shooting the gun OFF the shoulder; the gun still cycled and fired fine, but sometimes would not lock open on empty... I don't foresee this as being a problem, and even this should resolve as the spring takes a set.

As well as improving bolt closure/feeding, I am hoping this heavier action spring will reduce battering of the gun with hotter (high brass) loads. I am going to change out the action springs in all my guns for the Wolff version, even though the others run 100% with the factory spring.

Here is a photo; top = lightly used factory spring, middle = brand new factory spring, bottom = Wolff XP Benelli spring

VMT%20Recoil%20Springs%20lightly%20used%

How did you get the 'cap' off of the action spring tube? I tried for about an hour and I couldn't get mine to loosen.

Wrench and elbow grease - came right off. Maybe try some penetrating fluid?

Wrench and elbow grease - came right off. Maybe try some penetrating fluid?

I couldn't get enough of a purchase on the round tube to hold it still. Even in the vise it would spin when I tried to unscrew the cap. Oh well, I'll give it another go.

On my Versamax the bolt face peened a bit and when fully retracted the bolt face was touching on the top of the receiver. I filed the edge of the bolt face and it stopped sticking. There were marks on the inside of the receiver wher the bolt face was making contact.

I don't think this would cause the lifter issue, but it could be causing the sticking problem mentioned.

Got the extra power wolf Benelli spring and installed. No issue getting the nut off the tube and spring inside was relatively clean , not anywhere close dirty enough to causing the malfunction, I think. Was getting lifter issues about every 10-20 rounds and shot ~75 at match with no issues. Seems fixed.

Edited by bradhall

A little follow up on my issues also, I sanded smooth and polished all the parts on the trigger lifter and she'll stop where they interact and gun runs now, but will still hang open when racking in the first shell. I also ordered the +25% power Benelli springs and plan on installing them in both my guns for a little extra insurance. I think the stock Remington ones are just plain too week to overcome all the friction in the action.

Honestly I am little disappointed on a few details on the versamax from Remington, especially with regards to the shell latch, a stock gun that is so hard to load is just pitiful.

But as I see it any new platform has its issues when it first starts out, but I hope Remington gets there QC issues figured out.

Mbauer, I think you'll have more success by changing your expectations of Remington. The VM has been out for like 5 years now and they have shown no interest in fixing its issues.

You're right but sometimes company come around. But I don't expect it to happen this time.

Just installed a new Wolf +25% recoil spring in my VM, runs great so far. 1150 fps Fiocchi still hit to POA(if I don't wank it) at 100 and locks back on the last round.

Always felt they were sprung a little light form the factory.

How do you get the the spring? I never took the stock off my VM yet. If I want to clean mine now or replace it since I got 2 seasons on it. How does it come apart. Who sells the Wolff spring?

It's super easy. Take recoil pad off, two screws. Need long handle hex wrench, pull off hex bolt which holds on the stock and stock adjustment plate. Spring tube unscrews from receiver. Spring tube has threaded cap holding spring in tube.

Bought mine from Wolff website.