Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy trigger pulls on shotguns

stuart1336

My Versa Max has a trigger pull of 6 lbs 8 ozs. The fastest I can pull the trigger, firing in to the berm is 0.20.

My 10/22 has a trigger pull of 2 lbs 3 ozs. In steel challenge matches I regularly have splits of 0.14.

6 1/2 lbs seems an awful heavy trigger. What do other people have in their shotguns?

My Versa Max has a trigger pull of 6 lbs 8 ozs. The fastest I can pull the trigger, firing in to the berm is 0.20.

My 10/22 has a trigger pull of 2 lbs 3 ozs. In steel challenge matches I regularly have splits of 0.14.

6 1/2 lbs seems an awful heavy trigger. What do other people have in their shotguns?

Never seen a "berm" listed as a scoring target, but .20 splits is not bad at all. :)

Hi Mark,

I didn't explain it very well. In a drill like the load 12 or a string of targets up to 10 yards I will get splits ranging from .20 to .22 at the moment. Just firing the gun in the dirt I can't cycle it faster than 0.20. A rifle with a lighter trigger I can get splits on the same target in 0.14 and close transitions not far off that.

A heavy trigger pull has to have an impact on speed. I was wondering what other people have in theirs. I have seen the latest Keith Garcia video with 0.15 splits between shots. That can't be with a standard trigger can it?

Hi Mark,

I didn't explain it very well. In a drill like the load 12 or a string of targets up to 10 yards I will get splits ranging from .20 to .22 at the moment. Just firing the gun in the dirt I can't cycle it faster than 0.20. A rifle with a lighter trigger I can get splits on the same target in 0.14 and close transitions not far off that.

A heavy trigger pull has to have an impact on speed. I was wondering what other people have in theirs. I have seen the latest Keith Garcia video with 0.15 splits between shots. That can't be with a standard trigger can it?

Keith runs a TTI M2 with Taran's trigger work. I have seen competitors outrun both stock and reduced pull triggers, but it is more common with reduced pull triggers. I tend to leave mine stock and I can run the VM at about 0.20 as well, and my M2 at 0.14. I think if you track Keith, Patrick Kelley, Rob Romero, Dave Neth, James Casanova etc over the course of several stages of shotgun, you will rarely see splits under 0.2 seconds and most much more than that.

Edited by MarkCO

I understand that 0.20 transitions won't happen in competitions but at a certain level of skill I am sure the trigger weight will have an influence on performance. Granted most people won't ever hit that level but having to pull harder on the trigger will affect performance. If it didn't then why would anyone change them. Would you run a 6 lb trigger on a pistol?

What happens when you out run a trigger? I have never seen it here in the UK. We have seen 1301's with dodgy triggers that fire semi auto. I think they fired about 0.12 apart.

As someone who has explored the outer limits of shotgun cyclic speed a 7# trigger is not a detriment

to fast splits (a weak reset could slow one down but ultimately it is of little consequence.)

Now, if the trigger sucks for feel (creepy or inconsistent ) it could make precision slugs shots

more difficult, but if you can hit with slugs, shoot the gun as you have it.

Keep in mind...Jerry M runs faster than .20 splits with DA revolver!

Stuart,

As a friend, if you were going to be at RM3G next week, I'd slap you along side your head! :roflol:You're comparing a gun that shoots maybe a 40 grain bullet with a 1 grain charge of powder against one that is made to handle 3 1/2" shells, and you're probably shooting loads that roughly 500 grains with 20 grains of powder, not to mention the added weight of the wad. Is it possible that the recoil is affecting your trigger finger, or more importantly affecting your head? As Mark pointed out, berms are not targets, unless someone is going to set 12 plates behind each other as a stage. Even I know that transitions and loading is what matters with this game.

Don't forget that some aging pistol shooter from Mesa, Arizona has said that splits don't win matches. He's got the titles to back that statement up.

What are "splits"? Who is James Neth and David Casanova? Is P.E. Kelley a professional Engineer? Is that what the P.E. is for? Now at least Dan I can understand. :)

Edited by kurtm

What are "splits"?

Internet "mecca" of shooting skills.

If I may quote Eddie Garcia when I eavesdropped on part of his training at the MGM junior camp...

"Footwork gets you seconds, transitions get you tenths, splits get you hundredths, get the low hanging fruit first."

the trigger on a 1100 is interchangeable

I use an 1100 as I have 1 I love

I use a trap trigger don't know the wt but in the low 4's or hi 3's from remington parts dept.

listed trap trigger. buffed it some more whe I got it DIDNT grind yes I carry a spare my 3 gun was made for me in 1989 by chip mcormack] put eassy loader on both.

horrible reliable. use 2 gas rings per wayne novak say it can be done just did it5 yrs since the last change

10,000 rds give or take.

good luck

jjw

Edited by jjw

I have no issue on trigger weight for shot, but with slug this weekend my trigger did not feel nice! Is there anything people would recommend on a supernova? I am not worried about split times, just thinking for the more accurate slug shots.

Thanks for any help.

Mick

What are "splits"? Who is James Neth and David Casanova? Is P.E. Kelley a professional Engineer? Is that what the P.E. is for? Now at least Dan I can understand. :)

Wasn't Casanova the villain in The Mystery Men?