Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision issues and front sights

Phil Dunlop

I'm having issues with ageing eyes and wondering if anyone has found any benefit from a ramped front site rather than undercut?

I've noticed that lighting makes a huge difference and theorised that the extra light a ramp catches might help me focus on it.

Otherwise I guess its time for larger sights, away from the .09/.110 to .1/.125

Thanks

P,D.

Have you tried fiber optics? I find that for most conditions, the green works well. If it is dark and overcast, I will use an orange and if it is eyeball frying bright, a violet works well. I had to leave standard front posts about 5 years ago at 43. I have found vision to be very important for pistol shooting and I have several solutions I use based on the stage and the targets that need the most amount of focus.

You have hit on one answer, a BIGGER front sight.

The other (will let you use most any front sight) is eyewear with a

Rx set for to let you see the front sight with your Master eye.

I will add that if I am true to what I actually do in competition...I target focus to about 15 yards.

If the shot requires more precision, if comes down to eyewear tuned to let me see the front sight.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I brought my gun to the eye doctor. He measured how far the front sight was from my dominant eye, and made the lens for that eye with that prescription. I have bifocals for everyday use. He made my weak eye lens with the top part of the bifocal.

Thanks for the replies, Mark, I can still shoot a post and despite retrying every six months or so for the last 15 years, I can't shoot a fibre optic well, they just confuse me, but how I wish I could!

Most of my shooting is done with a sort of intermediate focus, somewhere between the target and front sight, and that seems to work well out to about 15yards, but I've noticed a few more surprise misses than I used to experience, and I put that down mainly to vision rather than attention.

I have tried using prescription glasses, and loved how clear the front sight was, but think the compromise at the target is more than I'm willing to give up just yet.

So I ordered the bigger front sight

Thanks again

P.D.

Thanks for the replies, Mark, I can still shoot a post and despite retrying every six months or so for the last 15 years, I can't shoot a fibre optic well, they just confuse me, but how I wish I could!

Most of my shooting is done with a sort of intermediate focus, somewhere between the target and front sight, and that seems to work well out to about 15yards, but I've noticed a few more surprise misses than I used to experience, and I put that down mainly to vision rather than attention.

I have tried using prescription glasses, and loved how clear the front sight was, but think the compromise at the target is more than I'm willing to give up just yet.

So I ordered the bigger front sight

Thanks again

P.D.

A friend is a grand master in his 70's who still shoots well enough to win local matches. Some people are not entirely human is the only way I can explain it.

Anyway, he shoots the biggest green fiber optic front sight that he can make work (the hi-viz kind with the front of the fiber belled open) , and on the rear sight makes a goal post outline (like what you see on some Glock factory sights) with white paint (or fingernail polish). He said this helps him pick up the sights quicker.

• 4 weeks later...

I brought my gun to the eye doctor. He measured how far the front sight was from my dominant eye, and made the lens for that eye with that prescription. I have bifocals for everyday use. He made my weak eye lens with the top part of the bifocal.

I talked to my eye dr and had my contacts setup for shooting,,,,,,,,,I am right handed and left eye dominant,,,which is a problem for shooting handguns,,,,,,,,now my prescription blocks out the front sight for my left eye forcing my right eye to take over!!!! And I can see a lot better at a distance since the left is stronger now,,,,,,,,,,,,took some getting used to ,,,but worth it,,,,,,,when reading I just use reading glasses over my contacts!!!! Been that way for several years now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,funny thing the last time I had mye eyes checked the dr forgot what we had done and told me my sight was improving in my left eye for some reason,,,,,,,,,,,,I reminded him what we had done and why!!!!

there is no 'Prooduction Optics", only 'Carry Optics' with the ridiculous weight limit so that only plastic guns can play ....

The name will always be production optics in my heart :) .

as soon as they come to their senses and remove the stupid weight restriction I'm right there with you .... and it should be called plastic carry optics anyway ...:)

I have my dominate eye focused for the front sight. My Rx is +3.75, my non Dom eye is +2.25. Even with that Dom eye correction the front sight is not perfect but I get by with it. My front sight is .117 to .115 the rear is about .125. What I'm getting at is it possible to do quite well with a relatively narrow front sight. There is an article over on Frank Proctors site the way of the gun that is a good read. Also did you give the fiber optics a chance? They really do help. The bigger front sights may be a little easier to pick up but at the longer distances they block out a lot of the target especially plates.

there is no 'Prooduction Optics", only 'Carry Optics' with the ridiculous weight limit so that only plastic guns can play ....

The name will always be production optics in my heart :) .

as soon as they come to their senses and remove the stupid weight restriction I'm right there with you .... and it should be called plastic carry optics anyway ... :)

I will refer to it as Gloptics

I tried bigger post, smaller notch along with stock STI sights. I still can't see well enough to get an acceptable sight picture.

One thing I had not tried and was told wouldn't work was small post and even larger notch. I went with a .90 post and a .150 notch. The very next match I saw a huge improvement in total points and overall placement. It worked great for me. There was enough light on each side of the post that I could get a very good, consistent sight picture.

USPSA/IDPA/ICORE targets are pretty big, but the scoring ring perforations are hard to see at any distance and most experienced shooters just have their "sight picture" for the targets. But, if your eyes can't focus sharply on the sights that does you no good. And shooters over 40 years tend to suffer in the ability of the eyes to focus on targets and sights at the same time.... it's called presbyopia (?). That means the elasticity of focus is gone and the eyes can't focus between near and far objects.

So, why not just focus on the sights? The focal point of any prescription lens can be set at any distance. I have shooting glasses (for iron sights) set to the focal point distance of my front sight in my normal shooting stance. The targets are not sharp and clear (although I can read a automobile license plate at 13 yards) but the targets don't have to be sharp. Just the sights, so you can put your "sight picture" on the slightly blurry target.

Then you can get -0 and A Zone hits.

I just switched over from a stick-on bifocal on one of my safety glasses lens (dead center of the vision) to full lens safety reading glasses 1.25x. I bought them off Amazon for about $15. Both sights are perfectly clear, the targets are a little fuzzy but not too bad. They aren't prescription, but they help. I could actually dial the 1.25 back a little though.

I'm wondering if aging eyes would appreciate switching from limited major to a relatively heavy production minor gun? Am going to try it next season and see if sight tracking gets quicker/easier/more fun.

If not then it was a good excuse to get a new toy and I think aging wrists and elbows might at least enjoy the low recoil, particularly when shooting weak hand only.

If you are shooting iron sights and your eyes will not bring them into a proper focus it make little difference what gun division you are shooting. You still have to get the iron sights in focus. Corrective lenses can do that. Pick the right ones.

If you are shooting iron sights and your eyes will not bring them into a proper focus it make little difference what gun division you are shooting. You still have to get the iron sights in focus. Corrective lenses can do that. Pick the right ones.

Agreed. Quickness of vision is a different thing I think.

I'm wondering if aging eyes would appreciate switching from limited major to a relatively heavy production minor gun? Am going to try it next season and see if sight tracking gets quicker/easier/more fun.

If not then it was a good excuse to get a new toy and I think aging wrists and elbows might at least enjoy the low recoil, particularly when shooting weak hand only.

Nope, a new gun will make all the difference...even if you don't use it to compete with...and you can quote me to your wife...if you need to.

Nope, a new gun will make all the difference...even if you don't use it to compete with...and you can quote me to your wife...if you need to.

:) !!

If nothing else it should cut down on the left elbow pain. Weak hand shooting major just plain hurts right now.

I am right handed and left eye dominant,,,which is a problem for shooting handguns,

Throw an astigmatism into the mix and you have me.

While I am up to date on my glasses. Lately Ive found that I am unintentionally taking extra time squinting my left eye shut on longer targets... I just cannot do both eyes open anymore...

I am gonna try welfare optics, whenever I get back stateside. Depending on how that goes for me, I may convert my Limited gun into an open. :(

As my eyes got worse, I definitely shot better with bigger sights. And I had the best luck with... when in your freestyle shooting position, you want the light bars on each side of the front (added together) sight to approximately equal the width of the front sight.

What a coincidence: Just Sunday I realized my sights were way too blurry. Grabbed my +1.75 cheaters (now there's a clue) and whoa, sights were razor sharp, but the 5.5" shoot 'n see Caldwell targets were nowhere to be seen. Normally I can see my hits @ 25y. Today I ordered a pair of +1.25 stick-on bifocal from Amazon. The plan is to use just 1 and see how that works out and if I can see past it when shooting a scoped rifle.