Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first USPSA match today

I shot my first USPSA match today at the Sir Walter Gun Club in Creedmoor, NC, this is not my first forte into competitive shooting, I have shot IDPA in the past and shot some earlier this season. I had a great time, even in the sunny 90’s plus weather. I loved being able to run and gun, having to think out stages. Everybody was great and very helpful. I met and talked to one the triangle tactical guys, Lucas. Great guy, love their podcast.

Some basics that I learned about equipment. First, moisture wicking cloths are the shit in hot weather. For the match knowing the temps were going to be in the 90’s, I opted to purchase some under shorts and a polo style shirt. These item are worth their weight in gold! Second thing I learned, grip tape is great for helping to maintain control of the gun. I don’t know why I shunned it, but again a great add on to any gun. Third for is magazine pouches, I had 2 ghost 360’s and a double blade-tech pouch. I loved the ghost 360’s much better than the double-tech. I have ordered 2 more ghost 360’s and will get a 5th one soon. I used the belt a shot IDPA with, the wilderness tactical, it’s still a great everyday belt. But, for competition, I see the need to the inner and outer belt system.

All 8 stages were very fun to shoot. The only problems that I had were having to reshoot stages 1 and 6. Somebody was lax with pasting the targets. I was not upset, but was worrying about my ammo supply. Stage 6 was 24 round and stage 1 was 12. But as I said before I had a great time and will be shooting more USPSA. I don’t plan to give up IDPA, the USPSA will the primary game for me.

I guess I should add I shot production class with a glock 34.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I usually bring at least 150-200 rounds more than I "need". So far I have not come close to needing that much extra, but on one particularly bad day I used a good 75-100 :( Looking forward to hearing reports of your future matches. Have fun!

It helps if you take a look at the targets before you shoot. If any of them are not taped tell the RO and let him bark at the rest of the squad. Also, it's a good idea to walk with the RO as he scores your hits.

With each match you go to you are likely to learn something each time. There is a constant evolution going on with equipment, ammo selection, etc. etc. You will make mistakes but all shooters do, this is just part of the learning process. Few sports can be this competitive and yet the person you are trying your hardest to beat will stop and offer help, advice, even loan you ammo should you run short. It says a lot about the character of the people that make this sport so successful.

Glad you enjoyed it. I've switched from mostly IDPA and "outlaw" matches to USPSA and I really love it. Really regret not trying USPSA sooner. I enjoy the freedom USPSA allows in choosing how you shoot most stages. I've shot two USPSA matches so far ECPS matches in Oxford, NC and can't wait till this months match. Unfortunately work has prevented me from getting to one of the Sir Walter matches so far, but I hope to make it to one in the near future. We're very lucky to have lots of great matches around our area to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...