Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01: CZC Shadow Custom vs. CGW Pro Package

ES13Raven

I have had my CZC SP-01 Shadow Custom for about 6 months now, and have been very happy with it. They only thing I have changed on mine is an 11.5# hammer spring, and reduced power trigger return spring with floating trigger pin.

Since I live in communist Kalifornia, I can't buy another Shadow - but the SP-01 is still on the "safe" gun list. :rolleyes:

Anyway, several people have said that the SP-01 can be polished & tuned to be just as good as an SP-01 Shadow.

I decided to have Cajun Gun Works customize a SP-01 with their Pro Package. It is supposed to be very similar to a "Custom" from CZC, but I added a few things to make it Production legal and as close to my Shadow as possible:

Comp sights, short reset / disconnector, extended firing pin, reduced power firing pin spring, 11# recoil spring, 11.5# hammer spring, CZC hammer, stainless guide rod, extended mag release, 85c trigger, reduced power trigger return spring, polishing / tuning etc.

When I finally received it - I disassembled, cleaned it and put the lube I like to use on. I tested the triggers several times on both with a Wheeler gauge. Here are the results:

CZC:

DA = 5.5

SA = 2.3

CGW:

DA = 6.5

SA = 2.5

It might be because my CZC is broken in, but the DA feels smoother than the CGW. The reset on the CGW is still short, but about twice the length of the CZC (no firing pin block).

The new model CGW sights are really nice. Dawson makes them for CGW, and I think I like them better than the CZC Comp sights. They are the same notch width, but the CGW's have more depth. Side-by-side I can find my front sight quicker. They also have two set-screws instead of one:

AgM9lvJ.jpg?1

CZC (on right) does more polishing of the rails:

EGgX7TS.png

CZC on bottom:

fixRWA3.png

Another thing I like that CGW (on right) does is bore out the firing pin hole a little:

lEDBokm.png

Shadow cut and sights vs SP-01:

9RbwRE0.png

More to come after I have a chance to shoot it and sight it in. :cheers:

Every pistol is going to be different regardless of gunsmith. The DA will smooth out and drop after a few thousand rounds. The rails will also get smother and more polished as you put more rounds through it. Enjoy shooting your new pistol!! :cheers:

I have a CZCed SP-01 and right now with a 8.5 lbs hammer spring and my trigger pull is 5.1 lbs DA and 2.1 lbs SA.

I shoot USPSA with several guys that have Shadows and Accu-Shadows, they have played with my plain SP-01 and say they don't feel any difference. My SP-01 is really smooth.

Cajun does some cool stuff and thanks for sharing details right up on alley. I also agree that every gun of the same make and model will come out different after dropping in the same parts. It will take tuning to match but under the buzzer in race mode I can't tell the difference if delta is 8 oz or less.

Got a chance to test out my Cajun SP-01 today. I was mainly checking for sights being zeroed and functionality with my ammo.

It groups pretty well at 75 feet, but it looks like they installed the wrong front sight. They installed a Dawson .170T by .095W - which hits about 4.5" high at 75 feet.

My SP-01 Shadow has a .195T by .095W and hits POA/POI at 75 feet.

Another thing I noticed was the CGW SP-01 averaged 27fps faster than my Shadow with the same ammo.

1wACxVEl.png

Edited by ES13Raven

Every pistol and load is different and will have different impacts. Make sure to measure the actual height of your front post to the top of your front sight and then from that point determine what height front sight you need. My SP-01 with the .170 sight measures ~0.190 from the slide. I have another SP-01 that is closer to .195. Looks like there is some variation in the front dovetail cut. I imagine that is the case with the rear dovetail too.

• 8 months later...

Is the "production legal" kit from CGW allowed at a sanctioned national match? i'm shooting the Area 1 championship match and need to know if i need to change anything.

Make sure you get the shadow hammer exchanged for the CGW hammer in the pro package.

Edited by RIPsaw475