Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI miss feeding

HogDog

After about 20-30 rounds my SVI in .40 starts miss feeding. It jams part way up the ramp. Once it starts jamming it jams every 5-6 rounds. I’m so confused. I’ve tried several loads and spring combinations but with the same results. A friend told me I’m limp wristing or my elbows are not staying locked. Could it be that after 20-30 rounds my arms are just giving out? Or was my first mistake going with an open gun in .40?

I was going to suggest you bring it by the shop but we are a couple 1000 miles apart so that won't work......

The type of problem you have can be tough to figure out if you don't have the gunin front of you. Unless you are really over sprung I doubt the problem islimp wristing or your grip.

Your best bet is to take it to a reputable pistolsmith and explain what its doing and have them check it out. You probably are going to find either a magazine or feed ramp problem.

If you can't find someone local to cure the problem call SVI and arrange for them to fix it.

HotDog

Were in MD are you? I ask because one problem maybe your OAL on your bullet? I could try and help you with this as I have had a problem with one of my other pistols in .40....Are you using your own loaded amo or are you using store bought amo? I live in Ellicott City and shoot most often during the week at Continental Arms in Timonium...You can email me at bks99@comcast.net

Later

Bryan

Hot Dog- I live in Timonium and shoot at Continental as well. I have an extra Aftec that is tuned for my SV. If you can get to Continental your welcome to try it and see if it fixes the feeding problem. I had quite a few feeding problems that were all fixed by a new extractor. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks Bryan and .40AET!

What a small world. I live near Frederick Maryland. I'm hand loading. I bought the gun used along with loading information. I too thought It might be my OAL. I seat them at 1.172. I just got this gun last summer and also have just started reloading.

Longer OAL? I never would have thought to try that. I hate being the new kid on the block. For now, should I keep my loads the same and just adust my OAL?

I was reading that if your recoils spring are TOO light it may not retain enough energy to cycle a round. I've only been experimenting with 9-11 lb ISMI springs, maybe I should try heavier first before I chane the OAL.

I do appreciate all your feed back.

Start by changing to a 14# recoil spring. That's what ships with the gun from the factory. If you have a full profile slide then the slide is probably too heavy for a 9# spring. If you need to buy springs, then get a 12.5# ISMI, lots of folks like them. Adjusting the OAL of your load will require going to the chrono to check your new load. You will have less pressure in the case with a longer load and the velocity will probably go down. The spring is easier to check.

HotDog

What ever you do....Do one thing at a time ie. the spring then shoot the gun then change the OAL. This will help narrow the problem.....I think that the biggest problem maybe the case...My .40 will not shoot anything except winchester or starline cases. These are the only two brands that I don't have any issues with. My 38 super I only use starline brass in and have no problems at all....KNOCK ON WOOD NOW PLEASE!!!! \

Later

Bryan

If your rounds are stalling on feedramp:

1) Polish your feedramp. I wrapped an empty .40 case with 1500 grit sandpaper and polished

mine while watching TV. Do this till it shines like a mirror.

2) Make sure the feedlips of your mags are to spec width wise. ISMI materials with my mag

springs stated a range of 0.385-0.390". If they are not to spec, get some leather on the

teeth of yourvise-grips carefully bend them so that they are to spec. After that, polish

the feedlips.

Thanks guys you've been a big help.

Bryan, that's what I'm going to do. It so happens I have #11, 12.5, 14 & 15 ISMI springs. I'll be trying the springs first. I tried to measure my mags, but to tell you the truth, (I'm slow w/o picturres) I'm not really sure where to measure. I got the specs sheet but from there I"m lost.

Start by changing to a 14# recoil spring. That's what ships with the gun from the factory. If you have a full profile slide then the slide is probably too heavy for a 9# spring. If you need to buy springs, then get a 12.5# ISMI, lots of folks like them. Adjusting the OAL of your load will require going to the chrono to check your new load. You will have less pressure in the case with a longer load and the velocity will probably go down. The spring is easier to check.

.40EAT

I just got back from the range, I ran 100 rounds with a 12.5 ISMI and it worked like a champ. Of course as we all know, they only jam during a match!!

I belong to Monocacy Pistil Club in Frederick http://www.monocacypistolclub.com/index.shtml

We have falling steel, speed steel and pin matches and they're open to the public for only $5.00. We're not fancy but we do have fun. Come out and check us out.

Glad that it's running for your now. Check how far the brass is ejecting from the gun. If it's over 6-8 feet then try the 14# spring. The steel matches look like fun. I would like to get in a practice match before the PSA. :ph34r:

Glad that it's running for your now. Check how far the brass is ejecting from the gun. If it's over 6-8 feet then try the 14# spring. The steel matches look like fun. I would like to get in a practice match before the PSA.  :ph34r:

.40AET

You must really know your stuff. The first thing I noticed yesterday was that ALL my brass was in a nice little neat pile about 4-5 feet directly to my right. It sounds like I might have found a good set up.

This is the first time I'll be shooting at the PSA. I'm slotted for Thursaday afternoon. Thanks again, we have a match today at 10:00, I hope the rain holds off.

You must really know your stuff.
:lol: Sometimes.

If you are going to shoot the PSA with a lighter load, the problem may arise again. While the guns working, take the time and get what Big Dave suggested done. Polish the chamber too while your at it.

I'm shooting the PSA on Thursday as well and going by myself. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in shooting together.

Cheers.

You must really know your stuff.
:lol: Sometimes.

If you are going to shoot the PSA with a lighter load, the problem may arise again. While the guns working, take the time and get what Big Dave suggested done. Polish the chamber too while your at it.

I'm shooting the PSA on Thursday as well and going by myself. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in shooting together.

Cheers.

Like I said previously, they only jam during a match. And of course it did that today. But this time it jammed with the round pointing straight up!! Could the spring be too heavy and slamming the round perpendicular? May be I should try a #11. I’m ready to chuck this open gun, toss my Dillon and go back to my SigP226 and buy my ammo at Walmart. Last year I bet I ran 2-3 thousand rounds of factory Winchester through my Sig without a single jam. .40AET be honest, are these open guns that finicky? Do I just have to accept the fact that this thing will never run as reliable as a Sig. Am I asking for too much? I love high tech stuff but I can’t deal with unreliability. Waaa Waaa Waaaa. I’m done crying. Anybody feel sorry for me yet.

I’ll PM you about PSA.

Some are finicky and some aren't. It depends a lot on who builds the gun. A couple of years ago at a match, 2 guys both had STI competitors. One ran flawlessly and the other ran like sh*t. Unfortunetly, you may have bought someone elses problems. Before you chuck the whole open project, think about sending it to a GOOD gunsmith to get it running right.

BTW, what kind of load are you using in the gun?? Hopefully you're using a really light bullet and a lot of slow power. The good thing about the .40 is you have case volume on your side.