Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front Site Width

Putty

I read the other posts on front sight blade width, and was wondering if anyone experiences what I do. I have a longer gun (6") with a very thin fiber optic front. Alignment and subsequent acquisition seems to take a little longer than when I align with a wider front site and the fiber seems to get in the way (?).

Especially tough with that thin fiber optic indoors, Real hard to call shots.

Going to a wider front blade, but does anyone have any suggestions for front widths on a 6" and/or with fiber as well that is wider? Front site width is 1.94mm with a bomar rear with notch at 2.81mm. Perhaps I should go with a plain blade of the same narrow width??

Back when I ran a 6” iron sighted open gun (man, that dates me), I liked a .090” front blade width. It left lot’s of light showing on each side in the Bomar notch and that gave me fast, easy centering up. My eyes were also younger then so focusing on a kinda narrow blade wasn’t an issue. I have no experience with Fiber Optic front’s having been weaned in the “sharp black blade in a sharp black notch“ school of iron sights, where thin is fast ;-)

I had a Glock long slide setup with a fat front blade and a Witchita rear with a wide notch. The front was .125“ and worked real well because the notch was wide enough to let a lot of light past on the sides. That is what is probably as, or more important than the actual size of the front.

I also believe in flat black irons too, but that is just me.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Anders,

What's "right" is governed more by what gives you adequat light bars. Because you have a 6", that .090" looks like a razor blade. You definitely need to err on the side of .110" to .125" because that sucker is just swimming in the rear notch.

Hopefully Benny will read this thread and tell you what size dovetail you have.

Personally, I would completely bypass the FO sight for a serrated front, but that's very unhip these days, and god knows we don't want you getting picked on by the cool kids.

I agree with EricW about serrations. I have an old gun with a custom front blade that is undercut with shadow serrations and it is the blackest sight I have ever used without blacking, even in lighting from behind.

And yes, it’s all about the right amount of light on each side of the front in the notch and what width front sight “You“ can focus on easily. I sharp focus on flat black best. YMMV.

--

Regards,

:) We both know it isn't your sight ;) You hit things just fine when you go the right speed for you and you don't jerk the trigger, "superman." ;)

The sooner you ditch that skinny sight then sooner you will have one less thing to worry about holding you back.

I read the other posts on front sight blade width, and was wondering if anyone experiences what I do. I have a longer gun (6") with a very thin fiber optic front. Alignment and subsequent acquisition seems to take a little longer than when I align with a wider front site and the fiber seems to get in the way (?).

Especially tough with that thin fiber optic indoors, Real hard to call shots.

Going to a wider front blade, but does anyone have any suggestions for front widths on a 6" and/or with fiber as well that is wider? Front site width is 1.94mm with a bomar rear with notch at 2.81mm. Perhaps I should go with a plain blade of the same narrow width??

I notice the same thing, however it really does seem to be a very small amount of extra time in getting the acquisition. On the other side of the equation it also seems like I can shoot more accurately with the thin sight. Had to (chose to) take some "upper panel" shots on partially hidden target today and A's seemed hard to miss. That was a good feeling...

One option that I'll consider on my gun, after I get done playing w/ the FO sight that came on it is an arrangement I shot on another guys Limited gun a few years back. It seemed to be the best of both worlds - it was fat at the bottom, and about midway up it was "stepped" narrower. About like a .110 at the bottom, .090 at the top or something. It was easy to pick up, and I didn't notice any problems centering it, but at the same time, I could be more precise on longer shots.

I've also thought it'd be cool to have a pyramid front sight - say, .125 at the bottom, tapering to .080 at the top. Same effect, basically....

Dave

:) We both know it isn't your sight ;) You hit things just fine when you go the right speed for you and you don't jerk the trigger, "superman." ;)

The sooner you ditch that skinny sight then sooner you will have one less thing to worry about holding you back.

See what yah get when you pointed it out? :o Ok, knowing I am a little frenetic, the fiber needs to go, so why not increase the width at the same time? I just seem to pick up a solid post better.