Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140gr. .308 loads?

tplace

I have a few boxes of Nosler 140gr. HPBT that I want to load up for 3-Gun. I’ll be using them out of my M1A (1:11”) and an AR-10 (1:10”). Nosler is saying 44.5 grains of A-2495 is their most accurate out of a 24” 1:12” barrel.

Anyone have any pet loads they might recommend?

Thanks!

What powder? Just because Nosler says that is the best powder, dont mean it will be in your rifle. They are testing those on a bolt action with a 24" 12 twist barrel that doesnt have to drive a gas system. You may have a 18" 10 twist barrel on your AR10.

Myself, being that 140's are kind of an oddball, Id start at 150gr load data, and work up to a safe accurate load.

Example - Hodgdon says start at 43gr of H4895 for Nosler 150gr BTs. Id start there and bump .3gr per jump on a 5 round group to determine what is best for your rifle. Look at the max load as somewhat of a guideline, being careful to watch your primers, cases, to avoid blowing your gun up.

Worst comes to worst, call the powder manufacturer and see what they say. Supposedly Hodgdon has alot of data that is not on their website, other manufacturers might be the same.

I think you will be fine with the book loads as long as those loads use a powder that has an apprpriate pressure curve for the M1A. 2495(4895) is one that is ok. Give it a try.