Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 COMPENSATOR

Shmella

Does the compensator that comes with the 929 noticably help with recoil? Doesnt seem like theres much to it, how much of a difference does it really make compared to the endcap or no cap? I have a 929 at pinnacle right now and am contemplating cutting off the nipple entirely and not deal with the endcap, or compensator.

I dont plan on drilling holes in the barrel for open because I would like to use one gun for open and stock and swap out the rear sights with a BMT Kickstand mount to be able to pop a cmore on and off fairly easily.

Am I wrong in assuming the compensator wont fit on anymore If I cut off the nipple? Does it make enough difference to not chop off the end and do away with the comp? I didnt compare it myself, I actually never even shot the gun before I sent it out. It didnt really dawn on me until after I sent it out that maybe I should see if I have a lemon BEFORE I sent it out to have work done to it. Live and learn I guess.

When I shoot icore open with the 929 I don't use the comp. Same with my Vcomp. Not enough of a difference.

I think you'd be better off with a fresh crown than the comp.

I set up a specific load for minor open for my 929 and do notice a difference with the comp installed. It is not the same effect as a 38 super out of an auto at major, but it does help reduce the muzzle flip some with the right load for it.

I would talk to Mark and see if he has any ideas about maybe a differently designed compensator that uses the same attachment. My thought is just that the opening in the top of the factory comp is too big and lets the gases out too fast. As a result you get less downward force than a few smaller openings would provide and with the gases escaping faster you get less forward push against the front wall of the compensator. The attachment system for the 929 makes it simple to machine one to adapt to the 929, it is just designing a compensator that is more effective at minor loads.

I've watched a local guy shoot his comped and not comped, it looks to kick the same but haven't shot it so can't say for sure. I thought it would be cool if someone would make a screw on comp more like you see on bottom feeder open guns.

There is a local guy to me that makes a screw-on comp that two of my buddies shoot. It has 5 or more smaller openings. To be honest it didn't really cross my mind to use that one because they have v-comps but Its machined locally so I'm sure I can have one made to fit the 929. I would talk to Mark and get his opinion on it but getting hold of him has been difficult.

• 4 years later...
On 7/28/2015 at 12:31 PM, ihocky2 said:

I set up a specific load for minor open for my 929 and do notice a difference with the comp installed. It is not the same effect as a 38 super out of an auto at major, but it does help reduce the muzzle flip some with the right load for it.

Would you be willing to share your load data?

22 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Running about 128 power factor with 160 grain coated, I can not tell any difference when I put the comp on.

Especially not worth the extra effort to clean the comp.  And did you notice any difference in accuracy?

Now if you had a 115 to 125 grain bullet at around 1100 f/s, it might work better.  Then again what would it do to accuracy?

And to really make a comp work on a Semi-Auto you needed lots of slow burning powder, how would that work for cleanliness in the cylinders?

Many such as Rich Wolfe used a Comp, at one time at least, in Open ICORE.  But I can't remember if Jerry did?

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Especially not worth the extra effort to clean the comp.  And did you notice any difference in accuracy?

At one time I thought the comp was messing with accuracy, but now I think my problem was that the gun just wanted .358 coated and was leading intermittently with .356 .

Have read of others noting that they removed the comp die to accuracy concerns.

A proper compensator, not holes, will make a difference on power factors at ICORE levels. I didn’t believe it either until I built some. 

S&W doesn’t currently make a compensator for any revolvers that I know of.

To fit a Comp that would work, the barrel would need to be threaded. Most people would just be better off cleaning up the crown on a factory barrel or completely changing the barrel to be able to use proven designs.   

The 929 Comp is useless in my opinion..  Used it a few times in steel challenge @ 130pf and it just pretty much just collected crud.  Most 929 have been shown to have poor crowns.  I think a recrowning and developing a load off a 160gr bullet will feel better to you and give better accuracy..  

I went this route:

IMG_2205.JPG

On 6/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, NoSteel said:

The 929 Comp is useless in my opinion..  Used it a few times in steel challenge @ 130pf and it just pretty much just collected crud.  Most 929 have been shown to have poor crowns.  I think a recrowning and developing a load off a 160gr bullet will feel better to you and give better accuracy..  

I went this route:

IMG_2205.JPG

Is there a cheap and dirty way to get a good crown?

Like to tinker , hate to spend.

40 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is there a cheap and dirty way to get a good crown?

Like to tinker , hate to spend.

Go to your local hardware store and get a brass bolt the size you wants and some valve grinding compound.  Chuck the bolt into your hand drill and put the compound on the nut.  Put that on the end of the barrel and you can cut a nice crown.  This is an old method used for black powder rifles and works real well for the hobbyist.

25 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Go to your local hardware store and get a brass bolt the size you wants and some valve grinding compound.  Chuck the bolt into your hand drill and put the compound on the nut.  Put that on the end of the barrel and you can cut a nice crown.  This is an old method used for black powder rifles and works real well for the hobbyist.

Sounds fun.

Thank you!

The only problem with doing the lapping is it won't correct an off center crown (most of them are). All that does is polish what is there and makes it look nice. For accuracy, the crown has to be concentric with the bore. The only way to bring it back to center is with a piloted hand cutter or dialed in on a lathe. The pilot has to be a very close slip fit in the rifling. Brownell's has the proper tools. Your call.

6 hours ago, Toolguy said:

The only problem with doing the lapping is it won't correct an off center crown (most of them are). All that does is polish what is there and makes it look nice. For accuracy, the crown has to be concentric with the bore. The only way to bring it back to center is with a piloted hand cutter or dialed in on a lathe. The pilot has to be a very close slip fit in the rifling. Brownell's has the proper tools. Your call.

This is what I did and is worth what you would pay for the cutter/pilot.  When your done,  just sell it online and you'll only be down a few bucks and you'll have a professional quality crown.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, NoSteel said:

I went this route:

IMG_2205.JPG

Did you do it yourself?