Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need ear pro advice

matgyver

So I have a set of custom plugs that have a very high NRR I used for USPSA due to ROing next to open comps.

Problem is I was told I was giving shooters late pulls on the skeet field. Well, I pull when I hear it so I figured that I may be not hearing them as well.

I switched to my electronic muffs and bingo...no problem. Unfortunately I can't wear them while shooting and get a good mount on the gun.

So, without breaking the bank on electronic in ear plugs, is there a decent set that aren't the disposable crap that blocks enough to protect but still hear calls?

Hello: I stand closer to the shooter when pulling on the skeet field with my fitted plugs. I can also see how they are flying better as well. There are some good foam, plastic plugs out there you just have to find the ones that fit you. Thanks, Eric

I did find that I was hanging back a bit...like I was ROing on a retreat course! I'm new to the sport and didn't want to crowd the guy.

They have an organized shoot coming up so I'll get a chance to observe...

I think I'll try some of the sure fire plugs. They came up in a search for filtered plugs.

Hello: Another option is what I give kids for ear plugs and that is the flexible swim plugs. They can mold them to their ears and they don't fall out. They also are not hot to wear like muffs or get in the way of the gun stock. They come in bright colors or plan clear. I have not tried the Sure Fire plugs but would like to if I could try the different sizes to see what fits. Thanks, Eric

So, without breaking the bank on electronic in ear plugs, is there a decent set that aren't the disposable crap that blocks enough to protect but still hear calls?

Does anyone have first hand experience of filtered plugs that are not disposables?

Specifically don't want to spend big bucks on electronic plugs...$44 for the custom moulds I have felt like a ripoff but they seal out the world. $2 worth of silicone and 10 minutes...that's a moneymaker for sure.

Anyway, I'm thinking sure fire filtered but they don't look comfortable.

I've used foamies and a hard shell for pistol for years. I used a custom electronic molded set for bird hunting until they finaly crapped out, got 9 years out of them. I like the noise reduction from double packing, but it doesn't work well for me when shooting rifle. The electronic pair was never super comfortable for me.

My son shoots competitive trap and skeet, I like to shoot with him when time permits and purchased a pair of the silicone molded type ear plug. The problem with them is sun, sweat and ear wax degrades the fit and noise reduction properties fairly quickly.

At a recent shotgun event in San Antonio, I spoke with a vendor who told me about a molded ear plug that was cast and was guaranteed to maintain its fit. I splurged, bought a pair and received the new plugs in May. They work great. The material is more like a hard rubber as opposed to the silicone and the noise reduction is better than the silicone plugs. The best part is that you keep the original ear mold and if you need a new pair, can send in the molds and purchase a new set for $50.

I really like the new plugs when shooting shotgun, rifle and 3 gun. They are very comfortable, and block out all noise. I'll always double pack when possible, but if I cant, these plugs are great.

I've used foamies and a hard shell for pistol for years. I used a custom electronic molded set for bird hunting until they finaly crapped out, got 9 years out of them. I like the noise reduction from double packing, but it doesn't work well for me when shooting rifle. The electronic pair was never super comfortable for me.

My son shoots competitive trap and skeet, I like to shoot with him when time permits and purchased a pair of the silicone molded type ear plug. The problem with them is sun, sweat and ear wax degrades the fit and noise reduction properties fairly quickly.

At a recent shotgun event in San Antonio, I spoke with a vendor who told me about a molded ear plug that was cast and was guaranteed to maintain its fit. I splurged, bought a pair and received the new plugs in May. They work great. The material is more like a hard rubber as opposed to the silicone and the noise reduction is better than the silicone plugs. The best part is that you keep the original ear mold and if you need a new pair, can send in the molds and purchase a new set for $50.

I really like the new plugs when shooting shotgun, rifle and 3 gun. They are very comfortable, and block out all noise. I'll always double pack when possible, but if I cant, these plugs are great.

who was the vendor? what company?

So I suppose I am on the opposite end of the spectrum here. I have lost a fair amount of my hearing over the years, Shooting, Loud tools, Motorcycles, Go carts etc. I am down about 30%. My wife and daughter kept bugging me to get my hearing checked. I did and that is what the results were.

I have over the years shot with no protection, foam plugs, molded plugs, molded plugs with sound channels, military plugs, hardshell muffs and electronic hardshell muffs and finally I spend the money on a pair of Sport Ear Custom hearing aid.noise suppressor units. Cheap? No, not by a long shot but cheaper than most in ear hearing aids. Are they as good as a $7k pair of in ear aids? I don't know. They work. With them I can hear things I thought didn't even make noise! and I can shoot just about anything without a concern.

I learned something when I was getting my hearing checked, once you start to lose your hearing, your mind starts to forget what certain sounds are. So, even if you were granted a pair of perfect hearing aids that miraculously gave you all the frequencies back, you might well not understand what you are hearing. It may take a while, or maybe never till you relearn what certain sounds mean. So, do take care of your hearing, it is probably second only to sight in the 5 senses.