Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low second shot

Merlin Orr

Just got my 6" back from having the slide cut (even) lighter. With a solid grip a real quick second shot is 4-6 inches lower at 10 yards - Lower yet at 20 - about 12-16 inches. If I let the gun settle after the second shot (double tap) my sight picture is right on. I am thinking a recoil spring mod might be in order???

Any suggestions besides wait till I get a sight picture? ;)

Any suggestions besides wait till I get a sight picture? ;)

Nope.

Using the force is just a bad habit that will cause you pain.

I have a setup that I can rip .14's-15's and have them snakeye. I don't use it. Renforceing my bad habits isn't what I want to do.

A lighter spring will bring up the shot.

:)

I have a setup that I can rip .14's-15's and have them snakeye. I don't use it. Renforceing my bad habits isn't what I want to do.

Splain Please...Why does having your gun sprung to where you can rip off snakeyes reinforce bad habits. I need to see where you are coming from with this. :huh: Are you saying that it will lead to being lazy and not getting a sight picture for your second shot?

It seems to me that if the gun naturally comes back to your NPA after recoil with little or no extra effort on your part it will significantly decrease the time needed to reacquire the proper sight picture and break the next shot...

It is relative to distance, and bad habits will eventually burn you. I used to believe in the fast split double, but Flex and some of the others here warned me, and I soon realized I could see what I needed to and still be fast.

Splain Please...Why does having your gun sprung to where you can rip off snakeyes reinforce bad habits. I need to see where you are coming from with this. :huh: Are you saying that it will lead to being lazy and not getting a sight picture for your second shot?

Yep, that's what I'm saying. If I know I can get away with it, I will try and at the wrong times. I shoot much better, waiting to see the second shot.

Double taps are evil and they slow down my transitions. ;)

Merlin,

Make sure it's the gun and not you (no offense meant.) Even a slight flinch on the trigger can cause your problem. If your sure it's not you, then I would wait a little bit. You just had your gun lightened. Give yourself some time to adjust to the new setup and balance of the gun. I would go at least three practice sessions without changing anything. If your still noticing a problem, then start switching springs.

Erik