Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel advice

WidowsSon683

I have and xdm 4.5 9mm that I am going to turn into an open minor gun. I have found 3 different barrels for it: EFK, Storm Lake, and Barsto. Out of the 3 which one would be the best for the buck. Pros/cons for each and so forth.

I would want to know what barrels the gun builders are using, like Scott Springer.

Well Reshoot, Scott is using Barsto, Carver is using Storm Lake. While I understand they probably use those because they believe they are the best, NOBODY uses the EFK barrels. Is there a reason or is it just personal preference. That's really what I'm looking for, is someone who has used the EFK barrel so I can get their opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I would want to know what barrels the gun builders are using, like Scott Springer.

Well Reshoot, Scott is using Barsto, Carver is using Storm Lake. While I understand they probably use those because they believe they are the best, NOBODY uses the EFK barrels. Is there a reason or is it just personal preference. That's really what I'm looking for, is someone who has used the EFK barrel so I can get their opinion.

I have an EFK in my Tactical model and it seems to shoot well. I can't compare it to Barsto or Storm because I have only shot EFK. I think EFK is typically drop in and Barsto may need fitting. Barsto also seemed expensive. IMHO, accuracy is more related to ammo and individual shooter not barrel.

I have XDm's with both. A Barsto gunsmith fitted barrel and comp and a Storm Lake drop in barrel and comp. I can't tell any appreciable difference between them.

The storm lake drop in, did it require any fitting.

No, it dropped in and ran with no problems.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I will answer just for archive purposes. I have barrels from all three makers, but they are 40-9mm conversion barrels. The Stormlake, in my 4.5 XDm dropped right in and shoots and functions great. The EFK for my XDm 3.8 dropped right in but the chamber is a little tight for the reloads I intended to shoot in it. I have not yet had the Barstow installed in my 5.25. I bought it intending for my local smith to do the job but he is not comfortable doing the job. Someday I will send the gun and barrel back to Barstow and have them do the job. I would just have bought another 9mm 5.25 but did not want to do another trigger job.

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, afish4570 said:

Can I shoot lead bullets in my 4" barreled 45 XDor will I need an after market barrel,,,,afish4570

XDs and XDms shoot lead fine.

My only warning is NEVER EVER shoot a combination of .40 cal PMC brass, with Unique and lead 180 grain bullets, I had case head separation 4 times that blew my XDm frame and cracked it. Same combo of components every time.