Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger precision rifle

72stick

The reviews I've read were from gun writers with pre-production samples and seem to average about .75moa.

That's going to be the real question. Can the production guns hold .75 MOA out of the box with good ammo? Can they do better?

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/04/15/how-much-does-group-size-matter/

Interesting read

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reviews I've read were from gun writers with pre-production samples and seem to average about .75moa.

That's going to be the real question. Can the production guns hold .75 MOA out of the box with good ammo? Can they do better?

Interesting read

Good stuff, thanks. It supported my very unscientific/amateur opinion that there is very little functional difference between a consistent 1moa rifle and a .6moa rifle, even if one barely gets most rifle guys interested and the other is capable of near sexual arousal to some.

Interesting read

Good stuff, thanks. It supported my very unscientific/amateur opinion that there is very little functional difference between a consistent 1moa rifle and a .6moa rifle, even if one barely gets most rifle guys interested and the other is capable of near sexual arousal to some.

You should read the article again.

It is saying that the difference between 1 and 0.5, or a decrease of 50%, is significant and the next step from 0.5 to 0.3 is not.

I read it twice. Yes, it makes a difference, but it's still insignificant enough that a shooters skill is going to play a much bigger part than the 5% or whatever it was hit probability gained by squeezing your groups down.

And it's a zero error computer program running that simulation. I've yet to see many people that can hold within 10% of their perfect performance in match conditions. There's bigger fish to fry than chasing one hole groups.

There's bigger fish to fry than chasing one hole groups.

For the PRS game, absolutely.

As it relates to this offering from Ruger, I think if the best the rifle shoots is 0.75 MOA consistently, there is still value in the rifle that is 0.5 MOA all day long.

And it's a zero error computer program running that simulation. I've yet to see many people that can hold within 10% of their perfect performance in match conditions. There's bigger fish to fry than chasing one hole groups.

That's the conclusion I came to after reading all those articles. $1000-2000 in ammo is going to benefit me a lot more than an awesome custom rifle.

What people posting about this rifle seem to be missing is that the ergonomics of this rifle alone will cause many people to not shoot it as well as other options no matter what the theoretical mechanical accuracy potential of the rifle is. That stock style just does not work for me. The supposed value of the straight recoil path does not translate to hits in a single shot situation like it does for full auto. Give me a Manners T2 or T2A any day of the week.

Shooting groups is, indeed, largely a waste of the shooters time - there are far better things to do with your time and ammo. But in testing a rifle and a load, it can be useful in determining if the gun and the load are repeatable. Of course, there are a lot of factors that go into this and the shooter is one of them - in many cases the biggest factor.

But, no matter how good the shooter is, if the gun lacks precision then the shooter will have trouble hitting the target. Custom gun makers make a big deal about producing guns that can shoot half-MOA or better. But my Rem700 SPS can usually do 3/4 MOA (perhaps better with a better shooter). I would expect that any rifle that's billed as a precision rifle could do as well, or better. We'll see.

As to how well the design works - that's going to vary from person to person. I can shoot an AICS style platform more comfortably than a traditional stock. Other's hate this kind of design.

Edited by Graham Smith

I guess it remains to be seen.

All the cool, well thought out gadgetry incorporated into this rifle won't mean squat to me if it doesn't come with superb accuracy. It would be like buying a Corvette Z06, expecting 0-60 in 3sec, and only getting a car that could muster that in 5 sec. Now 5 seconds is still FAST, but not what you'd be expecting.

I wish Ruger would give a clearer expectation of the accuracy for the production guns. If their making them right, why not???

Just played around with my 6.5 Ruger today, With 120gr Amax at 100yds, I got a 3 shot hole about 5/8" long(twice). Will try 300yds next week.

Bragger! JUST KIDDING! Lol

Keep us posted as you continue testing this off the shelf rifle. That's an excellent start.

Just played around with my 6.5 Ruger today, With 120gr Amax at 100yds, I got a 3 shot hole about 5/8" long(twice). Will try 300yds next week.

Nice. Keep us posted and include some photos if you can.

it seems pretty cool, the fact that it comes in 6.5 creedmoor even better... now if it just came in 300 Win mag or 300 RUm.. that would be cool.

Yes! That would be uber cool! I wish I had never seen this. I now want this gun. Looks like a fun rifle just for fun! Who doesn't like to reach out and ring steel at serious range? The idea of being able to fold up and pack this rifle is a plus too.

Edited by JimmyZip

The 3rd party product (or collaboration) I want to see is from someone like Silencerco...

An integrated barrel/suppressor package just over 16", chambered in .338 Fed, or maybe some even bigger-bore .308-based cartridge. :devil:

In all of the talk about how easy it would be to change barrels, one item is unclear to me. Who actually makes barrels for this platform? Or are we expecting some third parties to step in soon?

That's the question I have as well. Their website says, "Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges." The picture of the chamber area looks quite complex, and different from an AR for sure. It looks like a barrel nut arrangement similar to how a Savage might work, with the barrel threading into the receiver, barrel nut holding it in place, and headspacing off a go-guage. A little more work than an AR, but I'm imagining it's doable for the mechanically inclined.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/features.html

That's the question I have as well. Their website says, "Barrels can be easily replaced by a competent gunsmith using AR-style wrenches and headspace gauges."

The kicker is the headspace. This would not seem to be the kind of barrels you can just swap in and out like you can on a DTA SRS. Headspacing a bolt gun can be tricky if you don't know what you are doing.

I have an Accuracy International AT with both a 308 barrel and a 6.5CM barrel. I have made a I mile shot on 18x30 steel with the 6.5 CM barrel and hit steel 5 times in 12.8 seconds at 420 yards. I have not shot PRS but have shot 3 Gun, USPSA, IDPA...

I haven't handled the Ruger.

This gun represents a junior AIAT. Now, will it perform as fast or as far as my AT? I kinda doubt it but the AI cost 3.5 times as much as the Ruger.

The Ruger has some great features, foldable stock, 3 lug bolt, user changeable grips, forearms, etc.

You can mount a Magpul PRS stock on it.

Honestly I wish it was a bit lighter. I would mount a NF ATACR 4x16 F1 (high end) or a Burris XTR II (low end) on it and go to town.

I might look at a lighter forearm. With replaceable barrels, I would bet we will see custom barrels for her at $600-$700 dollars. In short order I expect we will see replacement triggers. The point is, this is going to be a rifle that you can shoot out of the box or hot rod without much effort.

I think it is a total winner.

We received a sample here in 6.5 Creedmoor to play with. Using factory Winchester and Hornady ammunition, we were shooting 7/8" 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Rather impressive.

If they shoot like this they will only be needing a barrel after the stocker is shot out.

• 4 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Was wondering if anyone else had some trigger time behind the ruger precision rifle in 6.5. I have been thinking about picking one up when I see a deal - just haven't come across any yet.

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Was wondering if anyone else had some trigger time behind the ruger precision rifle in 6.5. I have been thinking about picking one up when I see a deal - just haven't come across any yet.

No personal time, but Gun Tests just did a review of three 6.5 Creedmoore rifles. the Ruger being one of them. It did very well. The Savage version did even better, but stock is non adjustable. Gun Tests is a no BS, no ads gun rag.

thanks mpom. I've read the reviews of the rifle on the truthaboutguns, range365 and tacticallife - but did not come across the one for gun-tests. I'll be on the look-out for it. I tend to do a lot of reading before I buy.