Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple Holes

Neil E.

Has anyone had any experience with filling popple holes in a hybrid barrel.

The barrel is bleeding off to much gas to be used as a light load gun. Want to have a 140 to 150 PF. Just enough to knock steel down.

I have never done this, but if it was a island barrel with holes I would imagine that you could measure the exact depth of the holes, thread the holes to be plugged and screw in a corresponding screw... just be positive it isn't entering the barrel. I wouldn't recommend it... but I would imagine that a skilled machinist could do this with some success. Then for minor steel you could plug the holes, major remove plugs and shoot. You would have to chase the threads every time you put the plugs back in. I wouldn't recommend attempting this alone. I would consult a few gunsmiths 1st.

I also would assume for a permanent fix it could be welded shut and the barrel grooves and lands be re cut for any material protruding into the area.

Hello: It can be done. Use a 1/4-28 setscrew and drill and tap the barrel. Only drill and tap part way, not all the way through. Install setscrew with Green LocTite. You can then add holes in the setscrew if you wish. Not the best since you may get brass buildup in the plugged hole that may cause some problems. Better bet would be a hybrid barrel with no holes. Thanks, Eric

3 of 4 hybrid holes in my island barrel were plugged by my gunsmith. I dont know how he did it but it was neatly done that the plugged holes were almost negligible unless you ogle it close up. Thousands of rounds after and still very accurate. Its my back up Open gun. Im not in USA.

• 3 months later...

We use lead shot to plug lube holes in Star lube sizing dies. Wonder if that would work here? You just gently tap an oversize lead shot into the hole with a small hammer. It stays put in our sizers.

I would like to see the first round shot under a tin roof after doing that.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2015 at 1:33 PM, Neil E. said:

Has anyone had any experience with filling popple holes in a hybrid barrel.

The barrel is bleeding off to much gas to be used as a light load gun. Want to have a 140 to 150 PF. Just enough to knock steel down.

Best to stay over 135 power factor in my opinion... I have shot all over the country and if your in vegas shooting a big popper in the spring it will be set heavy...better believe its not falling with 120 pf.  Not to mention a low shot on a big popper.  i trust 135pf for just about any part of the country.  if i ever have any question that it won't fall its gonna get double tapped haha