Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OK, this is a question for the SPONSORED shooters on the forum.

I want to know how you went about getting sponsored. Did you write to several companies? Were you approached by sponsors? What level was your shooting at before you started thinking about getting sponsored?

There was a great article in Front Sight a few months ago about being a sponsored shooter, and had some suggestions about how to approach sponsors, but I would like to here from some of the people on here.

I now know 2 people who have been picked up by CZ in the last year for production, and was wondering how that came about.

When I think to myself that I am not good enough to be sponsored, then I see some C and D class shooters that have sponsorship and wonder what is up with that.

I (we) at www.michiganshooter.com received sponsorship by promoting ourselves in a positive light, provide advirtising through several mediums, and asked many different companies.

The advise given in the Frontsight is perfect. Follow the suggestions given, and keep your fingers cross. Difficult to get sponsorship, but possible.

Two of us are B shooters, one of us is an A shooter. Much of our sponsorship is products, and some cash.

Please support our sponsors! See them on our website!

Cameron

There is something to be said for sponsoring B-C-D class shooters becuase they are the same kinds of people that will be buying the guns/ammo/brass/whatever it is that you are promoting. Some sponsors might feel more inclined to sponsor someone they felt was more personable or approachable, with less emphisis on shooting success and more emphisis on public relations and positive representation.

Am I sponsored?

A couple years ago Tom Novak got on the Beretta Forum looking for a Beretta shooter to promote his gunsmith services. In exchange the competitor would receive a free trigger job and other services. I'm not sure how many responded, but I got it. At the time I was low C-class production shooter. Now I'm a low B. I show off my Elite II any chance I get. I also use my signature line to promote his services. His work is definitely top notch and the trigger work has helped my shooting.

splashdown

I'll bite on this one. It's tricky - the definition of "sponsorship" tends to differ.

My sponsors were always companies that I inherently wanted to use anyhow. Back when I shot open the 9x25 was a prime example. Those guns were smoking all scopes out there, killing them in weeks. Aimpoints seemed to last - never had one break. I'd already bought a couple of Aimpoints, but was fortunate to get a paid sponsorship from them afterwards. Yes - they were in contract with Springfield so that may seem like I was doing it because of that. My Springfield contract made no mention of Aimpoint or having to use the product.

Safariland was not a paid sponsor for me. I shot for Springfield and had a relationship with Safariland. They're holsters are the best. I was fortunate to get some product from them. Today all of my stuff is slightly outdated. I'll be buying Safariland gear this year - I think it beats anything out there.

Springfield Armory is a special deal. I still, to this day, maintain a great relationship with Springfield. I have, in my heart, committed to Springfield. I believe they have the best guns, gunsmiths, and intentions of any company I could work with. My contract with Springfield is well past expired and I still only own their guns and I only shoot their guns. Frankly, I can't imagine shooting anything else. I'll be wearing a Springfield uniform in any major match I shoot this year - and they aren't paying me a dime. We just have that type of relationship.

So all of this boils down to how did it happen. For me, Springfield knew I wanted to be a part of the team. I'd built a relationship with them and TGO and let them know that is where I wanted to be. It took a long time before anything happened. I had to prove I was worth my salt. Eventually I got on and that was a big step. It opened up Safariland, Aimpoint, Nosler and Viht. I didn't solicit Safariland. Aimpoint just kind of happened - we'd been using them already so it only made sense. Nosler was a deal that Rob set up for the team. I really only benefitted - I had nothing to do with it. Pretty much the same deal with Viht. I was riding the wave of Rob and Springfield.

In the end, I feel like I got the Springfield deal and the rest of the pieces fell into place from there. I got offered many deals after the fact and truthfully turned most of them down. I only worked with the product I wanted and the companies I wanted to work with. The fact that I still today use damn near all of that gear shows to some extent that I made some decent choices.

I was never a top shelf shooter - I didn't have the resume to pull in huge deals. I worked hard to be a "top 10" shooter - tried to win a couple - and in the end it all worked out.

That's about the extent of my story.

JB

Thanks JB. That was the kind of answer I was looking for. I am also thinking of trying to get some sponsorship from a company who's product I have been using, and REALLY enjoy using. I will just have to see if they have any interest.

I sponsor myself. I suck too bad to be really sponsored, so I use my company name and did up some bright shirts.

Only reason I would think of doing that is if I could write off all of my shooting. I don't think my business is closely enough related to shooting (I am trying to make a go at a Handman business) that the IRS wouldn't see right through it.