Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dual caliber 9/40 in G34/35, does it matter which gun?

FrancisB

The 40 barrel OD is .020" larger than the 9mm, and the breech tab is .035" wider. Thats why you can't run a 40 in a 9mm.

Given this, does the fact the 9mm barrel is slightly smaller than the .40 affect accuracy in any way? Does the 9mm barrel "flop around" in the slide of a G35?

The conversion barrel is thicker, so the OD is the same as stock so it locks up tight. I've had excellent reliability and accuracy with my Lone Wolf.

As a byproduct of the thicker barrel, the "converted" 9mm gun will weigh a few ounces more than the stock 9mm if that makes any difference to you. On my Springfield XD it's actually quite noticable.

• 2 weeks later...

As the original poster on this thread, I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. My plan is to get into the action games again, after a 10 year hiatus (when I used my 1911 .45s). To try to keep cost of ammo down, I'm planning on shooting mostly 9mm, hence the conversion barrel.

Based on this thread, I went with

- a G35, found an FDE at Cabela's, cool!
- a KKM .40 to 9mm conversion barrel

My only upgrade so far is a set of Taran's TTI (thank you Taran, really appreciate you making a set available). These sights are amazing.

8/16/15 - Range report - first outing

I scrounged up a bunch of mismatched and cheap .40 and 9mm from when I was shooting 10 years ago, threw it into my very long of tooth Waller range bag and headed to Tri-county (Sherwood, Oregon) early.

Started with .40, at the 25 yard line.
200 rounds later of different stuff, (including a few magazines of Golden Saber hollow points defensive rounds), I had zero malfunctions or failures to feed, and all the brass was well behaved and went 3-4 to the right. Perfect right out of the box.

I was surprised at how soft the gun shoots stock - I've taken 2 day shooting classes in the past with my G23 and felt that has much more bark than the G35 (which I guess you'd expect given the size of the G35).

After a few groups that were low/left, I figured out the trigger press, and got some nice groups the size of my fist standing offhand at 25 yards, which I was really happy with. If I did my part, it shot where I aimed it. It would be interesting to try to bench rest it and see what it can do.

I was anxious to try the 9mm barrel, so I dropped that in, and tried a few mags of old Wolff 9mm.The ammo fed fine, and shot OK, but it would FTE or stovepipe every 2-3 rounds, which I sort of expected. I tried some American Standard 9mm and that cycled it fine, but the brass pooped out and would occasionally clock me in the head.

The 9mm shoots super easy, and feels like shooting a .22lr. Maybe it's the bigger gun and the conversion barrel, but recoil is non-existent. The one thing I noticed is with fast shooting my support hand moves around, which is probably a grip technique problem I need to work on.

If I want the 9mm to behave, can I assume I need to

- get a lighter recoil spring? (what weight would handle most 9mm)??
- get the 9mm ejector to eject the brass correctly (ideally 3-4 feet to my right like the stock .40 set up does?)

anything else?

I'm really happy with the G35, and can't wait to get the 9mm tuned and start doing some local matches.

And because every thread is better with pictures - my latest child after her inaugural outing. I threw on a set of tactical grips, we'll see if that helps my grip.

post-700-0-06262300-1439755842_thumb.jpg

post-700-0-75357600-1439756337_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrancisB

The 9mm ejector always fixed any problems I had with the conversion. Pm me your address and I'll send you one.

Hi Steven, thanks! PM sent. A question; the ejector will (probably) take care of the BTH issues, but the inconsistent cycling - don't I need a weaker recoil spring?

The 9mm ejector always fixed any problems I had with the conversion. Pm me your address and I'll send you one.

Hi Steven, thanks! PM sent. A question; the ejector will (probably) take care of the BTH issues, but the inconsistent cycling - don't I need a weaker recoil spring?

The 9mm and .40 full size and up guns use the same recoil spring as their counterparts IIRC. I like using a 15# ISMI spring for both 9mm and .40 though. A 13# spring is fine for 9mm, but I wanted to keep it simple and just used one spring for both.

I had weak ejection when shooting 9mm out of my G35. So I picked up an Apex extractor. I filed a little off of the adjustment leg to get ensure that the claw got a firm grasp deep enough to really hook the rim of the 9mm brass. Worked great. If you mess with your extractor for 9mm with a conversion barrel, double check that the side closest to the muzzle isnt touching the right side of the barrel chamber. Mine did initially and wouldn't allow the gun to go fully into battery so Apex threw the barrel on a manual mill and milled a very tiny recess so that the extractor didn't touch the barrel anymore. Couldn't be happier with my gun in 9mm or .40 and runs great in every aspect.

• 2 weeks later...