Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dual caliber 9/40 in G34/35, does it matter which gun?

FrancisB

Hi,

I think I'd like to get a long sight radius glock, and would like to be able to shoot both 9mm and .40 from it.

I think all I need is a barrel swap and mags, but wanted to confirm. Does anything else need to be changed when moving between calibers?

Also, does it matter if you get a G34 or G35 to do this?

Thanks,

Francis

It would be ESP in IDPA.

I wish the production and SSP would let you use conversion barrels...then I could buy one gun and shoot SSP, ESP, Production, and limited with minimal changes and be competitive (major). With the new mos models, you could even dabble in open. This would give someone the option to buy one gun and see what you really like before dropping a lot of cash on multiple guns.

Edited by LeviSS

Thanks for the heads up on needing the 35, makes sense.

As for what I'll be using this for; mostly because I don't know what I want to do exactly game wise. I want to be as flexible as possible. The range I belong to (tri county in Sherwood Oregon), has many different shooting matches (steel, idpa etc.), and I'm looking for something that'll let me play most of them.

I also have many thousands of rounds of 9/40 that I've accumulated over the years and I want to be able to shoot.

Thanks,

Francis

...Mags and barrel are generally all it takes.

It's been awhile since I shot my Glocks, but can't you use 40 mags for both? as long as you don't mind the fact that the witness holes don't line up

I can't remember how reliable it was, but I don't recall having issues.. anyone doing this?

Thanks for the heads up on needing the 35, makes sense.

As for what I'll be using this for; mostly because I don't know what I want to do exactly game wise. I want to be as flexible as possible. The range I belong to (tri county in Sherwood Oregon), has many different shooting matches (steel, idpa etc.), and I'm looking for something that'll let me play most of them.

I also have many thousands of rounds of 9/40 that I've accumulated over the years and I want to be able to shoot.

Thanks,

Francis

There are some good USPSA matches in the area, Dundee would be the closest to you I think. ARPC puts on a good match as well. There is one up at Douglas Ridge as well, but I haven't shot with them so I can't really speak to how good they are.

As D.Hayden said I have used my 40 mags in my G17 and they work just fine, however sometimes when you drop them the rounds will pop out since the feed lips are wider. It is probably just easier to not have to worry about it and get 9 mags, cause Glock mags are pretty cheap.

Hi,

I think I'd like to get a long sight radius glock, and would like to be able to shoot both 9mm and .40 from it.

I think all I need is a barrel swap and mags, but wanted to confirm. Does anything else need to be changed when moving between calibers?

Also, does it matter if you get a G34 or G35 to do this?

Thanks,

Francis

You get the G35 and conversion barrel and 9mm mags. I have the exact setup with an EFK conversion barrel. I haven't shot it in so long, I should sell it to you....

The 40 barrel OD is .020" larger than the 9mm, and the breech tab is .035" wider. Thats why you can't run a 40 in a 9mm.

Given this, does the fact the 9mm barrel is slightly smaller than the .40 affect accuracy in any way? Does the 9mm barrel "flop around" in the slide of a G35?

The 40 barrel OD is .020" larger than the 9mm, and the breech tab is .035" wider. Thats why you can't run a 40 in a 9mm.

Given this, does the fact the 9mm barrel is slightly smaller than the .40 affect accuracy in any way? Does the 9mm barrel "flop around" in the slide of a G35?

The conversion barrel is thicker, so the OD is the same as stock so it locks up tight. I've had excellent reliability and accuracy with my Lone Wolf.

no the conversion barrels are the same OD as the 40, and the breech tab is the same. If you put a OEM 9 in a 40, yea, flop around city.

Gotta go .40 to 9mm conversion, Dunno if you guys noticed that LoneWolf has their slides and barrels on sale till the 31st this month. Something about switching suppliers. Either way, if you've already got a g22 it may behoove you to get a G35 Lone Wolf slide and conversion barrel on the cheap. Otherwise grab you a G35 and by all means get a conversion barrel before the sale ends. The ejector will sometimes give people problems when doing the swap but its an easy part to change out when you do the barrel swap for the conversion as well.

$.02

Thanks for the advice everyone - I've picked up a beautiful G35 in FDE from the local Cabela's.

Can't wait to get to the range this weekend to see how it shoots completely stock. The sights are junk, and the first thing to be replaced.

I was hoping to get a set of Taran sights, but they are out of stock and I can't get an answer as to when they'll be back in stock. So I'm thinking of the Warren Sivigney instead.

Then a barrel, a DK trigger (maybe, the stock one feels pretty nice) and I'm only 10,000 hours away from mastery :-)

Then

PM Taran, he is on this forum. Or if I see him at Saturdays match, I'll ask. If you do get another barrel, have it hand fitted, and finished reamed to your loads, otherwise it will be no more accurate than the OEM, unless you are going to shoot only lead, then the rifled barrels are so much easier to clean.

Edited by 9x45

Thanks 9x45

Turns out Taran replied to my email and let me know he has sent a bunch to be coated 3 weeks ago, and doesn't have a specific date when they'll be back, but he expects them soon..

I'll wait for his sights.

On the barrel comment; I was planning on getting a conversion barrel (probably KKM, but maybe LW). I wasn't planning on getting a fitted barrel, but a drop in.

Does fitting make that big a difference? Who actually does this type of install?

Thanks in advance

Francis

For a Glock, a hand fitted barrel is the only mechanical way to get greater accuracy with a tighter lock up. Then you finish ream the chamber to your specific magic loads. It will cut the group size in half (from a Ransom rest). But honestly, unless you are shooting A class or better, then spend your money on shooting lessons first. All of the barrel makers will hand fit them, also local gunsmiths. If you do go with drop-ins, for shooting lead, LoneWolf is the best buy, but is no more accurate than the OEM barrel.

Here is the old Bullseye shooters recipe for easy clean up of lead. 50/50 mix of household white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The lead oxidizes rapidly in the peroxide then stays suspended in the white vinegar. No elbow grease required, does not harm SS barrels. OEM barrels, use with caution.

Filthy nasty lead residue

image36199.jpg

Lead cocktail at work, while you have a beer

image36201.jpg

happy shiny barrel ready for the next match..

image36203.jpg

...Mags and barrel are generally all it takes.

It's been awhile since I shot my Glocks, but can't you use 40 mags for both? as long as you don't mind the fact that the witness holes don't line up

I can't remember how reliable it was, but I don't recall having issues.. anyone doing this?

I accidentally got a Glock 40 mag mixed into my 9 mags. Worked surprisingly well, but not perfectly - which is how I discovered it. Edited by Beastly

I have seen where some barrel manufacturers will design the chamber to accommodate the use of the original ejector. Makes me wonder what might happen if you did change it to a 9mm one...