Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SMM3G Results

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At every stage where you had to ground a firearm, they said that there were only 2 aacceptable ways: completely empty gun with the slide/bolt locked open or gun w/ ammo still in it, saftey on. What happened was the chamber was empty on the person's shotgun, but there was still a shell in the magazine tube and they forgot to put the safety on

If the gun was pointing in a safe direction and no one could pass in front of it until it was cleared, it still SUX (IMHO).

--

Regards,

Actually the way I was told on Thursday was if a safety could be applied it had to be, whether or not the gun was hot or cold. If it couldn't be applied the gun had to be locked open. What really sucks about that shooters DQ is that he was done with the match - DONE - finished - shot all 10 stages. They were just doing the final clear on the last stage. Major bummer esp. since the gun was non-functional.

Actually the way I was told on Thursday was if a safety could be applied it had to be, whether or not the gun was hot or cold.

Hmm. I think I remember one of the ROs on a stage that involved grounding remark that competitors were being given different instructions on grounding depending on the stage and who was RO'ing. IIRC, at one stage, we were told that the gun had to be on "safe", no mention of the other option: gun empty, bolt/slide locked back.

Client came in, got to boogie.

-David

Pat, you were rocking on the long range rifle stages (6 and 7)! What rifle, sight system and loads were you using?

Kurt, I did not use any spreaders. I shot Sellor and Bellot ounce and an eight 8 shot for the entire match. So my victory is solely based on the superiority of the strong hand load. We will meet again In Texas!

I think Pat may have got a picture of me butt-stroking the car with my Benelli. That should be on the cover of Front Sight with the caption "Kelly Neal takes it out on the car at SMM3G"

Fun was had by all (the competitor as well as his squad) on the helicoptor shotgun/rifle stage. The competitor dropped his shotgun...empty...in the rack and took off.

When he came back to clear his shotgun, the RO noticed that the safety wasn't on, nor was the bolt locked back. A long discussion started, and the RO learned that you CAN NOT lock the bolt back on a standard configuration Saiga, nor can you apply the safety if the hammer is forward.

The shooter almost got DQ'ed; luckily the RO was receptive to...well, facts.

Alex

Kelly, I do have you on video beating the hell out of the poor old clunker.

You shot one hell of a match mister. Jerry will be on the lookout for you!

Rifle; DPMS 18" high rise flattop. I clamped on A2 style rear and glued and screwed on an old gas block at the end of the barrel with a riser and a lyman globe. Sights are just shy of 3" above the bore line.

Austrialian 144 grain ball.

I will send you some questions when I get home if you would be so kind to answer them.

PK

Somebody still got DQed for a shotgun with a round in it when he left the safety off

DQ for the safety left off a hot gun when it was supposedly grounded in a position not allowing any passage in front of it and pointing into an area that can safely handle a discharge? That’s just plain ridiculous!! At the RM3G it was a procedural penalty IIRC and that’s what it ought to be if the conditions I mentioned in my opening sentence were met.

--

Regards,

I think the safety thing is ok, if the gun is not in your hand and the safety can be on, then safety should be on. It makes for consistency, if the stage calls for grounding a gun just plan on putting the safety on, then you don't need to think about weather its empty or not. Simple

There seemed to be some inconsistencies with the grounding of guns. I was told at least three different ways the guns had to be grounded, i.e. empty mag in, safety off, bolt back; mag out, bolt back, safety off; or empty mag in, bolt forward, safety off. I like the idea of grounding the hot guns but I think this seemed a bit last minute. They need to do a bit better job of letting the RO's know just what they want. I also had a couple of those unloaded or safe guns pointed at me so I would just as soon have the safety on at least, stage 9 was the worst.

• 2 months later...

Lawman...

You're right. But I think that to keep it as fair as possible, I'm going to have all applications (other than staff) come to me via the mail. This may keep some of the locals from hand carrying an app to my front door. :blink:

Just a note... if you're going to send your app in return receipt, please mark it so that they'll leave it without a signature. Otherwise, it may cause you to be farther down the list if it comes to that. ;)

Applications should be post marked December 1st or after, the same as last year. This will give me a few days rest in between the A2 match and the SMM3G.

A2Chic :ph34r: