Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will you shoot in the rain?

I have shot probably around 20 matches in the last year and all but 1 of them seems to have been in the rain. Does anyone else shoot in the rain? I shoot because if I don't, I won’t have another chance.

I have been lacquering targets at our club for a few months now. I think NOT having to bag targets because of the rain makes it all worth while. I advertise to others that I seal targets but I haven't seen a noticeable increase in attendance yet. It might take a year before people realize what they are missing.

Ron J

I'll shoot in the rain, mud, sleet, snow, wind and cold as well. The snow was blowing sideways at the January Steel Match here. However, I have found it nearly impossible to paste targets in the rain. Anyone had any luck with the little rain hats from the Front Sight article last year?

Mississippi Classic 2004!

Shooters needed a "watcher" to see where their magazines dropped in the water or they were lost.

The Mississippi boys laquered the targets and put little hats over the top of them ( as shown in Front Sight ) and they survived the worse weather I have seen.

USPSA is definetely not a fair weather sport. Shoot in the rain as much as possible....practice in it as well if you can.

If you do, next time it rains during a major match you will be prepared and will deal with it easily and will excel against your competition who only shoot when it is sunny.

We shoot in rain, snow, anything, but some of the clubs in our area will cancel due to weather, those pu__ies. Our local match was only shut down once, when all of our help and most of our shooters were away at an area match, in our area btw. I shot Aikidale's steel match when I could barely feel my hands!

My advice, get some good rain gear, at least a goretex coat and footwear, and consider a more sturdy holster if the conditions are real bad.

Living in the heartland means rain in all its possible forms and dealing with pasters that won't stick. There's nothing like a good Alberta clipper with a March thaw to make it rip roaring, soggy challange. The rain caps over the targets are worth a try. I've found that pre-treating paper targets with spray adhesive to avoid using bags tends to obliterate the scoring zone borders. Does this happen with Scotch Guard and does work well at freezing temperatures ?

Ian

I try to keep a pair of waterproof boots and a rain jacket in my vehicle for flat tires or shooting in the rain. Keeping the targets up is a pain though. Between the cardboard slumping and the pasters sliding off, it's almost not worth it. Steel works fine though...

How about cold? I was at a club match in December where the glue on the pasters was practically frozen and they kept blowing off the targets...

John Ellis

Look - matches are won and lost by mere points.

Shoot in the freakin' rain. It better prepares you for those battles when it really matters.

Rain, snow or sleet (and I'm from Alaska so I've seen them all) you shoot.

Weather is like any component of a stage. It is a distraction. Shoot as you know how and you'll be asking the question "It was raining?"

Just my $.02 - sorry for being so blunt.

JB

A few years ago we had a match at my club where it rained all day and the temperature was in the very low 30s. It was a cold, miserable day at the range, sports fans. We started that match with 27 shooters. 12 shooters actually finished the match. And yes, I was one of the 12.

On the other hand, a couple months ago I had just about the exact same situation. I hadn't gotten very much sleep the night before, just a few hours, so I was pretty dragged out, but I really wanted to fire the monthly IDPA match. Hauled my sorry butt out of my warm, comfy bed, got dressed, headed out the door. I hadn't looked outside before getting ready for the match. I stepped outside my front door, it was temp in the 30s and raining. On top of the lack of sleep, it was just too much. I stood there for a few seconds, thinking abou it, then said (literally, out loud), "F--k this." Went back inside, took off my clothes, climbed back into my warm, comfy, DRY bed and went back to sleep. Bliss.

Now, does that mean I'm getting smarter as I get older, or wimping out?

Someone had asked about lacquering targets. I am a house painter so it’s a little easier for me, but I buy regular lacquer that you use on kitchen cabinets, usually the gloss, and spray a criss-cross coat on the brown side. Let them dry in the sun for 30 minutes and put them back in the box. It’s a good idea to pre-prepare for a rainy match. Tape will stick great to these when they are wet. They won’t stick as perfect as a dry target on a 70 degree day, but better than an un-lacquered target under a bag, that’s for sure. As for the rain hats. I don’t think they are worth the trouble of building. If the rain blows just a little, the targets get wet anyway.

Have your club rent a quality airless sprayer and take an afternoon and lacquer up a few hundred targets with the help of several members. Here is how to do it. Pick an area at the club or someone’s house where overspray won’t be a problem (75+ feet from a car or windows) and set up some saw horses and runners between them and lay out several targets. Or course have the spray rig already to go and tested. Spray a criss-cross coat (not too heavy) on the targets. Carry them to an area where they can sit for 30 minutes without blowing over. I like the driveway; it holds heat and dries them faster. The reason for helpers is that it takes more time to carry the targets to the driveway than actually spraying them. Re-box them after a half hour or so. Or consider taking them to a house painters shop to do it. Offer him some FREE shoots at your club. Look up "Painting Contractors" in the yellow pages.

Good luck!

Ron J :)

I'll shoot in just about anything and practice in just about anything.

Although when the bare hand starts freezing to metal surfaces I do start to wonder about my sanity. I remember going for a mag change and having to peel my left hand off the mag I just grabbed off my belt. Made for a very slow mag change. :(

This sounds like a business opportunity to me. Maybe one of the major target manufacturers would see the interest that every club would have in stocking some USPSA approved "all-weather" targets? It would certainly be wise to keep some on hand for major matches. I think the ability to keep targets from drooping and tape from falling off would be well worth the extra cost.

I've always wished I had some targets made of the wax-coated cardboard that is used by the meat packing industry.